Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D: Nissan GT-R Test - 11.5@124

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-08, 06:19 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all i can say is, that's my dream car. cheap interior? i dont really care, i like the looks of it and besides, it's made for going brutally fast. they could have made it "nicer" but at what cost? it wouldn't be the bargain that it actually is.
Old 03-24-08, 06:38 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
all i can say is, that's my dream car. cheap interior? i dont really care, i like the looks of it and besides, it's made for going brutally fast. they could have made it "nicer" but at what cost? it wouldn't be the bargain that it actually is.
It certainly has potential, I am guessing "Top Secret" over will get close a 1000hp out of one of these when they mod it. But, I buy lexus for the comfort and speed, plus relaibility.
Old 03-24-08, 06:42 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
It certainly has potential, I am guessing "Top Secret" over will get close a 1000hp out of one of these when they mod it. But, I buy lexus for the comfort and speed, plus relaibility.
The probably will, I can't wait to see how this car responds to mods.

I won't compare a lexus to the GT-R. Maybe the LF-A when it comes out and possibly the IS-F now even though the GT-R will dust the IS-F.

Lexus is definately ahead in comfort and reliability. But speed goes to the GT-R.
Old 03-24-08, 10:00 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Like I said, it silly to be jumping to any kind of conclusions. The only thing we have to go on with the LF-A are some vague paper specs and the unofficial 'Ring lap time.

People jumped to negative conclusions about the IS-F, and we all know how that turned out.

Case in point, I remember before the GT-R came out all sorts of people were criticizing the GT-R saying it wouldn't be able to beat the Corvette Z06 in value or in performance. So where are all those GT-R critics now ?
I'm right here!!! I said with published specs of 480hp and 3900lb, the GTR would never touch the Z06 and barely top the M3/ISF/etc cars. And stand by that claim; because its obvious with a trap speed of 124mph (if thats a stock car, we know how easy it is to "doctor" up a turbocar being reviewed) that it makes WAY WAY more than 480hp. We're talking around 500whp here. The Z06 makes around 440-450whp at 3100lbs and runs 126mph traps. Its still faster in a straight line, but not by much. The Nissan is making around 140-150hp more than advertised. I mean, thats pretty damn cool; a VERY awesome car for a decent price; but you can't seriously be so smug with such a weak-*** argument; get OVER yourself.

So two things I can say positively:
1) This car was doctored up, compare its numbers to other magazines (117mph traps?)
2) Thats still pretty badass.

Whats awesome, is that the LFA will be even faster and will handle better. 550hp and 2800lbs (EDIT: I said mid-engined and mis-spoke) will do that I guess I guess the Nissan fanboys forgot that Toyota makes enough money each year that they can easily buy Nissan and its parent company Renault. If they WANT to release a car faster and better handling than the GTR at only $40k, they COULD; because they could easily take loss in profit hit and still make tons of $$$ with their other vehicles. I hope you guys realize that.

Its a question of wanting to, not IF its possible. Yes I hate Toyota sometimes for doing things the way they do; but thats how it is. I have a "magic pixie dust" phrase I like to say about how people treat exotics and its similar to whats happening here. Its just a car that has the right performance parts on it. There's nothing that seperates the people who designed this car from other engineers at other car companies other than them being given the budget and the go-ahead to design this car.

Last edited by Bean; 03-24-08 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-24-08, 10:00 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing must have racing slicks.
Old 03-24-08, 10:47 AM
LexFather

I'm sorry yall but I have to go against the grain here. What Nissan has accomplished is something out of this world. This car is basically defying the law of physics here. It has simply re-established the everday, any dummy can drive it supercar. You literally open the door, sit down, and go.

In every single review this car has whooped the GT3, 911 Turbo, Z06, R8 etc. Whooped might be overstating but for 70k or even 300k, the performance is staggering.

Also most have said the interior is of good quality, I just think it shows bad in pics.

Old 03-24-08, 10:56 AM
okcfunky
Pole Position

I still give the GTR credit, but until I see one physically perform, I have to maintain a high level skepticism.

Too many things aren't adding up to convention.

Interior layout is decent, but who cares about xyz interior while driving fast?

If the car really is all that and the kitchen sink, I weep for now driving skill and talent have been relegated to antique for street cars.
Old 03-24-08, 11:38 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm sorry yall but I have to go against the grain here. What Nissan has accomplished is something out of this world. This car is basically defying the law of physics here.
I think that is the at core of the Car & Driver test. The GT-R is like the bubble bee which shouldn't be able to fly but does. It's head-scratching how such a big, heavy car can be so blindingly fast and light on its feet. Is it... magic?

It has simply re-established the everday, any dummy can drive it supercar. You literally open the door, sit down, and go.

In every single review this car has whooped the GT3, 911 Turbo, Z06, R8 etc. Whooped might be overstating but for 70k or even 300k, the performance is staggering.

Also most have said the interior is of good quality, I just think it shows bad in pics.
I shudder to think what the Spec-V will be capable of.
Old 03-24-08, 11:58 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bean
I'm right here!!! I said with published specs of 480hp and 3900lb, the GTR would never touch the Z06 and barely top the M3/ISF/etc cars. And stand by that claim; because its obvious with a trap speed of 124mph (if thats a stock car, we know how easy it is to "doctor" up a turbocar being reviewed) that it makes WAY WAY more than 480hp. We're talking around 500whp here. The Z06 makes around 440-450whp at 3100lbs and runs 126mph traps. Its still faster in a straight line, but not by much. The Nissan is making around 140-150hp more than advertised. I mean, thats pretty damn cool; a VERY awesome car for a decent price; but you can't seriously be so smug with such a weak-*** argument; get OVER yourself.

So two things I can say positively:
1) This car was doctored up, compare its numbers to other magazines (117mph traps?)
2) Thats still pretty badass.

Whats awesome, is that the LFA will be even faster and will handle better. Mid-engined 550hp and 2800lbs will do that I guess I guess the Nissan fanboys forgot that Toyota makes enough money each year that they can easily buy Nissan and its parent company Renault. If they WANT to release a car faster and better handling than the GTR at only $40k, they COULD; because they could easily take loss in profit hit and still make tons of $$$ with their other vehicles. I hope you guys realize that.

Its a question of wanting to, not IF its possible. Yes I hate Toyota sometimes for doing things the way they do; but thats how it is. I have a "magic pixie dust" phrase I like to say about how people treat exotics and its similar to whats happening here. Its just a car that has the right performance parts on it. There's nothing that seperates the people who designed this car from other engineers at other car companies other than them being given the budget and the go-ahead to design this car.
Just curious, are you defending the Z06 and saying it's a better performer over the GT-R, or a better value?

FYI, the Z06 is traction-limited and has trouble putting power to the ground. The GT-R with it's AWD has an easier time putting power to the ground. A 997 Turbo has roughly equal performance to the Z06, despite it's weight disadvantage and slightly lower power figures.
Old 03-24-08, 12:10 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean

Whats awesome, is that the LFA will be even faster and will handle better. Mid-engined 550hp and 2800lbs will do that I guess
Since when is the LF-A going to be mid engine? Just curious, I hadn't heard any reports on that. As far as I knew it was a front engine RWD. Either way, the LF-A is definitely going to be in a different class. Not sure if it will ultimately be much faster, but it surely will be nearly double the price though. I find it hard to believe Lexus will let the LF-A go for under $130K.
Old 03-24-08, 12:47 PM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

Default WoW

This thing is the biggest thing to happen to the automotive world in a long time if not ever!

BABY VEYRON?

Although, I wish it had the Infinity badge.
Old 03-24-08, 01:08 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do recall Motor Trend saying that the car just drives itself...

sure there's tons of feedback and great driving feel, but the review did say something along the lines of the driver feeling useless--since the car's amazingness just makes everything possible.
Old 03-24-08, 01:15 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dgtbullet
Although, I wish it had the Infinity badge.
I bet they'll do just that when someday people can spell their upscale brand right.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 03-24-08 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-24-08, 01:23 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

I'm sorry yall but I have to go against the grain here. What Nissan has accomplished is something out of this world. This car is basically defying the law of physics here. It has simply re-established the everday, any dummy can drive it supercar. You literally open the door, sit down, and go.

I don't really see where it defies the law of physics.

The car is fast because of its superb AWD drivetrain. It sticks to the road like glue. It virtually has no traction issues corners and straight-away (low speed launches).

If it defied the laws of physics, it would be faster than the 997 Turbo & Z06 in a high speed acceleration test. It is obvious, after seeing the head-to-head comparison of MT, that it is not over-rated in power, and is not as fast in the straight aways at higher speeds.

The GT-R shines at the corners, where it sticks to the concrete with ease. Hence, allowing it to fly around corners where a car like the Z06 would have traction issues.

FYI: here's the chart I was talking about. It's the ONLY relavent chart to date, as it is the only head-to-head comparison of the GT-R with the Z06 and 997 GT3 to date (all 3 cars at the same time, same conditions): http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...6911_chart.pdf

Old 03-24-08, 02:13 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

the car in question was a us-spec nissan test car. they didnt spec it to give to magazines or anything. you can argue the test is invalid but many magazines test this way -happens very often. like many other things you read online, take what you will from it.

Quick Reply: C&D: Nissan GT-R Test - 11.5@124