Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

B8 Audi A4 will come standard with upgraded 2.0 TFSI in US

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-08, 09:48 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The 2009 is down to 201hp actually
I think torque increased as well for the 09 TSX. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-26-08, 05:12 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but Turbo and only 211hp? Sure, the 260lb of torque sounds nice, but it seems that the torque curve drops fast with RPMs, because the HP number is kind of low.
Old 03-26-08, 05:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I don't mean to sound ignorant, but Turbo and only 211hp? Sure, the 260lb of torque sounds nice, but it seems that the torque curve drops fast with RPMs, because the HP number is kind of low.
First, we have a new HP/torque rating system that's in place now. Second, though I agree that in this case it is a wide spread, it is typical for torque to exceed HP in small turbo engines, especially in the torque peak RPM ranges.

Take the turbo 4 in the Acura RDX, for example.....Honda's first U.S. market production turbo engine. It is completely the opposite of the usual VTEC normally-aspirated Honda/Acura 4, which is all high-RPM HP and little or no low-RPM torque. The RDX turbo 4 will kick you in the pants with torque from as little as 2500-3000 RPM.
Old 03-26-08, 05:44 AM
proximal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Not necessarily, there are lots of engines that have good torque curves with relatively little peak horsepower. I would bet this is tuned more for everyday usability than good-looking numbers, and the current version of this motor makes its peak torque between 1800-5000 RPM.

By the way, VW has quietly started using this engine in the GTI, et. Al.
Old 04-03-08, 12:23 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Diesel? Yes. Hybrid? No.

Audi Kills of A4 Hybrid for the US; Diesel Still on the Way
Posted on: April 3rd, 2008

In November of last year, Audi execs had confirmed that the German automaker would be introducing an A4 hybrid variant in about 2.5 - 3 years. They claimed that the architecture of the A4 was already designed to easily incorporate a hybrid system.

Well after killing off the plans to bring a Q7 hybrid to the U.S. by 2009 due to the value of the dollar, it seems like the A4 hybrid will unfortunately follow the same fate.

Communications director Jeff Kuhlman has said that the cost of the hybrid system on both vehicles would not offset the anticipated sales of the hybrids. As a result of expected low-volume and the crappy exchange rates, the price would be too high to move the two hybrids out of the showroom.

However, Audi is still planning on offering a 3.0L diesel V6, the same unit used in the Q7 and the Volkswagen Touareg. The engine has already been certified and makes business sense for Audi.