Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2.0L Turbo in new Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-08, 12:15 AM
iameric
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2.0L Turbo in new Camaro?

2010 Camaro to shake muscle car stereotype?
Although the Chevrolet Camaro is synonymous with muscle car, General Motors wants you to think differently about the all-new 2010 model. With fuel efficiency and an overall green image being ever more important to today's car buyers, GM will try to push some of the Camaro's green attributes rather than its tire-smoking ability.

Last edited by iameric; 03-24-08 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-24-08, 12:46 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

ew.

i'm quite turned off...
Old 03-24-08, 01:04 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
ew.

i'm quite turned off...
What a screw-up

Didn't the GM guy say global warming was a bunch of bullcrap?? Now why is the corporation going green?

4 Cylinder camaros?? damnit, now we have a new kind of rice burner.
Old 03-24-08, 06:03 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

imo, muscle is defined by hp, not number of cylinders. with a little tuning, like any turbo engine, 350 hp is a very realistic goal on that engine. i actually don't like the power delivery of most domestic v8's. i had an 01 Z28 M6, LS1 v8, and it was quick, but i hated that all the power came in down low and there was no top end. like they just crammed a truck engine into a car. i think a car should have massive top end power, not low end torque. save that for trucks.
my eagle talon was just as fast as my camaro, but much more fun to drive; i loved that top end rush as boost came on.
i would consider a 4 cyl turbo camaro is what i'm basically saying, because i will never have another v8 so-called sports car.
Old 03-24-08, 06:13 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Green only sells when it saves you gas. The last car ad I would ever see in Mexico would be buy this car because you will be helping the planet. Only good thing I could see is that with the turbo already in place, wouldn't take much to have turbo kit upgrade.
Old 03-24-08, 06:30 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS

What a screw-up

Didn't the GM guy say global warming was a bunch of bullcrap?? Now why is the corporation going green?

4 Cylinder camaros?? damnit, now we have a new kind of rice burner.
There were 4 cylinder Camaros back in the 80s. They just didn't have a turbo.
Old 03-24-08, 06:34 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

There's a thread on supraforums on this. I say they go for it. I think the V6 Camaro owners will be the ones hurt lol. The V8 will spank them along with the modded FI 4cyl that costs less than the V6.
Old 03-24-08, 06:42 AM
RFFG
Lexus Test Driver

not good...

BUT....

a big turbo 4 cyl camaro sound as fun as the SVO mustangs...
Old 03-24-08, 07:04 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 19psi
imo, muscle is defined by hp, not number of cylinders. with a little tuning, like any turbo engine, 350 hp is a very realistic goal on that engine. i actually don't like the power delivery of most domestic v8's. i had an 01 Z28 M6, LS1 v8, and it was quick, but i hated that all the power came in down low and there was no top end. like they just crammed a truck engine into a car. i think a car should have massive top end power, not low end torque. save that for trucks.
my eagle talon was just as fast as my camaro, but much more fun to drive; i loved that top end rush as boost came on.
i would consider a 4 cyl turbo camaro is what i'm basically saying, because i will never have another v8 so-called sports car.
I think most owners of those cars would disagree. In fact, I've never heard of ANYONE saying they didn't like the low end torque of a V8. For the street the low end is where it's at. Muscle cars are all about big displacment & big torque. Ask any true muscle car fan and they'll tell you "there's no replacement for displacement."

Now days, it's all about efficiency and emissions. So all the larger engines are being replaced with smaller, multi-valve engines that make similar horsepower.

Having massive power in the top end is really more for something that belongs on a track, IMHO, not on the street.
Old 03-24-08, 07:28 AM
okcfunky
Pole Position

Thank you MadMax96...

Any domestic V8 gear head would cry out to have 19psi's F-body taken away for such a statement.

And anyone who says that you can't get a top end on a domestic V8 is sorely misinformed. Try a nasty heads/cam and you'll change your mind.
Old 03-24-08, 10:10 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by okcfunky
Thank you MadMax96...

Any domestic V8 gear head would cry out to have 19psi's F-body taken away for such a statement.

And anyone who says that you can't get a top end on a domestic V8 is sorely misinformed. Try a nasty heads/cam and you'll change your mind.
Until it floats a valve and destroys the motor. High-rpm + pushrod = big engine wear.
Old 03-24-08, 10:13 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

I think this actually sounds pretty cool. They could get 280HP/280TQ out of that 2.0L Ecotec. Not bad, I'm certainly not as offended by it as some people.
Old 03-24-08, 10:47 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MadMax96
I think most owners of those cars would disagree. In fact, I've never heard of ANYONE saying they didn't like the low end torque of a V8. For the street the low end is where it's at. Muscle cars are all about big displacment & big torque. Ask any true muscle car fan and they'll tell you "there's no replacement for displacement."

Now days, it's all about efficiency and emissions. So all the larger engines are being replaced with smaller, multi-valve engines that make similar horsepower.

Having massive power in the top end is really more for something that belongs on a track, IMHO, not on the street.
lol, i know i'm in the minority! i just don't care for that low end torque in a car, it feels like a truck. i love to wind out an engine to redline andhave it keep pulling and pulling. my camaro didn't do that. i added some mods and it made a nice difference, very noticeable in fact, but it just wasn't as fun for me. my friend had a cammed 02 ss, and again it was ok, but still not that huge rush of turbo power that i like.
it was just a big waste to me, my talon was a little 2 liter and it would absolutely rape the camaro on the freeway for a lot less money spent.
anyway, just my opinion, i know i'm not going to change anyone's mind who grew up with "muscle cars".
Old 03-24-08, 11:16 AM
okcfunky
Pole Position

Without opening the whole pandora box of explaining hp/torque, displacement ideas, OHV V8's can rev, but they require proper prep, just as much as getting an Evo to sing to 9K rpm and live to tell about it. Heck, there's even a flat-planed LSx engine being one-offed that'll spin to the moon with a turbo. Granted it'll be a harmonic nightmare and that they have to work those kinks out.

I look at it through the parameters of how well the thing will withstand abuse; and I've got around 4000 track only miles and a dozen or so 3-4 misshifts on a regular 'ol OHV... I would cringe at the thought of doing that in an OHC.

That said, I miss my old 951... going from gutless to on-power @4K was a lot of a fun for the street, that or the STi or Evo I flogged mercilessly. I absolutely share the sentiment 19psi, and I'll go back to a peaky engine at some point because they are definitely quarky fun for me.

:cheers:

Last edited by okcfunky; 03-24-08 at 11:20 AM.