Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

R&T's Top 5 Most Comfortable Cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-08, 04:43 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default R&T's Top 5 Most Comfortable Cars

1. 2009 Lincoln MKS

2. 2009 Hyundai Genesis

3. 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP

4. Volkswagen Passat CC

5. 2009 Infiniti FX

Your daily commute is a grind. Slow traffic, long hours behind the wheel. It's enough to drive even the most laid-back motorist mad. The solution? These five new models promise respite for weary road warriors everywhere.

"Comfort" and "quiet" describe the new Lincoln MKS, the upcoming flagship for Ford's luxury division. Sporting a new split waterfall grille that will become a styling signature for Lincoln, the MKS offers ample room for five and plenty of power from its 3.7-liter V-6, which makes 270 horsepower. Buyers will get to choose between front- or all-wheel drive when this new sedan goes on sale later this year.

For those looking for luxury on a budget, the Hyundai Genesis sedan is just the ticket. This full-size 4-door comes equipped with a choice of 264-bhp 3.3-liter V-6, a 290-bhp 3.6-liter six or the flagship 4.6-liter V-8, which makes 368 horsepower. The styling is understated, yet elegant and like fine European imports, it is rear-wheel drive. Price of admission? Right around $30,000.

Peace and quiet need not be boring as the Pontiac G8 GXP attests. This handsome 4-door sedan from Australia offers room for five and plenty of power from a 6.2-liter V-8, which makes 402 horsepower. While the standard 6-speed automatic is just fine for stop-and-go commuting, the more adventurous might opt for a 6-speed manual. And helping to drown out the honking horns on jammed highways is a 230-watt Blaupunkt sound system.

A 4-door sedan with coupe styling is the impetus behind the Volkswagen Passat CC. This stylish 4-passenger car is slightly larger than the current Passat, but has a lower roofline. Despite its fastback styling, the car has a conventional trunk instead of a hatchback. Powered by either a 200-bhp 2.0-liter turbo four or a 280-bhp 3.6-liter V-6, the Passat CC is equipped with full-time all-wheel drive.

For something completely different, the Infiniti FX sports a new nose, toned-down chrome and a revamped interior for this combination sport/ute and sports car. The flagship is the FX50, which has a 5.0-liter V-8 making 380 horsepower. This engine is mated to a smooth-shifting 7-speed automatic transmission. Riding on massive 21-in. wheels, the FX offers such cutting- edge technology as a lane-departure warning system, active rear steering and a unique all-around view camera that makes parking a snap.

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/new_...JhZ2UtcmVtZWR5
Old 03-25-08, 04:51 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bit of a silly list, most of these cars are not even out yet. Plus, there are numerous vehicles that can be named which have better comfortable than this list.
Old 03-25-08, 04:52 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Comfortable for the driver, or for the passenger(s)?

Comfort can be extremely different between the two in the same car...
Old 03-25-08, 05:04 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was expecting to see a Buick somewhere on the list. Everytime I ride in one I fall asleep.
Old 03-25-08, 05:06 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I suspect R&T was paid to put a list together for what will make the dealers most comfortable if they sell many of the things.
Old 03-25-08, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Again, it depends on how you define "comfort". Riding comfort, the way I define it, comes from a soft suspension, soft, high-profile tires, a steering system that damps out noise and vibration, plenty of sound insulation, and a long wheelbase. Few....yes, FEW, cars are designed that way today......and the few that are left are rapidly disappearing.

Yet, some cars manage to combine a reasonably comfortable ride, or at least non-harsh, with good handling as well. Non-AMG Mercedes and non-M BMW cars are probably the best.....both companies have excellent chassis and suspension engineering.
Old 03-25-08, 05:09 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Is this a wishful thinking list, I have got to say that this doesn't seem to be true, but hey, comfort is indeed subjective.
Old 03-25-08, 05:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
I was expecting to see a Buick somewhere on the list. Everytime I ride in one I fall asleep.
I've driven and reviewed the new Lucerne and Enclave. While they can't be considered firm-riding, neither is as smooth as you might think.
It is getting harder and harder to find TRULY smooth-riding vehicles. In today's obsession with firmness, sportiness, and handling response, they are becoming relics of the past (see my last post above).
Old 03-25-08, 05:35 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

BS. Where's the LS? The FX doesn't belong.
Old 03-25-08, 05:37 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've driven and reviewed the new Lucerne and Enclave. While they can't be considered firm-riding, neither is as smooth as you might think.
It is getting harder and harder to find TRULY smooth-riding vehicles. In today's obsession with firmness, sportiness, and handling response, they are becoming relics of the past (see my last post above).
Yes, the enclave isnt very smooth at all. I think thats why its attracting younger people.

Buick still has their le sabre don't they?
Old 03-25-08, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Yes, the enclave isnt very smooth at all. I think thats why its attracting younger people.

Buick still has their le sabre don't they?
No. Both the Le Sabre and Park Avenue were replaced by one car....the Lucerne. The Century/Regal was replaced by the La Crosse. Both new vehicles have better interior fit-and-finish than their predecessors, but are not necessarily smoother-riding. Even Buick has not escaped the rush to try and BMW-ize everything.
Old 03-25-08, 06:00 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this list must have been compiled from all new/redesigned cars. Volvos, Buicks, and Lexuses should be on there IMO.
Old 03-25-08, 06:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pvmike1
BS. Where's the LS? The FX doesn't belong.
I was wondering the same thing about the LS, and you're right, the FX, though slightly less harsh than the original version, is too firm for the list.

Though the new LS460 is quiet enough on the road for Pharoah's tomb, the new low-profile 45-series tires do make it slightly firmer-riding than its LS430 predecessor. That's why I said above that the true living-room sofa cars are rapidly disappearing.
Old 03-25-08, 06:04 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Ithe FX, though slightly less harsh than the original version, is too firm for the list.
How do you know that? Have you driven the new FX?
Old 03-25-08, 06:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I think this list must have been compiled from all new/redesigned cars. Volvos, Buicks, and Lexuses should be on there IMO.
Buicks are quiet but not as smooth as before. Same with Lexus.....and the IS models are pretty firm.

Volvo, No way. They have never been very good in the ride or refinement equations. Volvo's main forte is safety and crash protection.

Quick Reply: R&T's Top 5 Most Comfortable Cars