Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: GTR or M3
GTR, do what you have to do to get one
78.95%
M3
21.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Need Help: GTR or M3

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-08, 06:54 AM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GTR all the way!
Old 03-26-08, 07:15 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

used white Lambo Gallardo...dunno how much they are though
Old 03-26-08, 07:40 AM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

GT-R!

Just look at the Autocar comparison with the M3. The GT-R destroys it, and the tester owned the M3!
Different league.
The GT-R will be an experience only few will enjoy, be one of them. I envy... maybe in a year or two...
Old 03-26-08, 07:47 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I have to say GT-R all the way. I had my name on the M3 list for my dealer and once I saw the pricing, I immedietly took my name off the list. Couldn't see paying a 15K mark up from a fully loaded 06 M3. It is a nice car, but for the price, it is not that special. It is a restyled 335 with quad pipes.

There is no such thing as a lower model GT-R. If you want speed, year round functionality in AWD, your Holy Grail, Head turning style, as well as break neck supercar speed...you wait for that GT-R, do not give into the itch and take the M3 or I GUARANTEE you will regret it! That is a promise.
Old 03-26-08, 07:57 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GT-R. Better for inclement weather
Old 03-26-08, 08:00 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, but is the GT-R the more fun car? The Best Motoring review mentioned how heavy it was and I've read that it's not an out right fun to drive car.

Then again, the E92 M3 is heavy too....
Old 03-26-08, 08:38 AM
dr Lu
Driver

if its only for a daily driver..probably M3..but the GTR is pretty much a better car in every aspect..
Old 03-26-08, 09:31 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Enjoy life more, GTR would be the one for me.
Old 03-26-08, 09:32 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gengar
Nissan will import 1500/yr to the US. That is hardly rare. Annual AMG imports to the US during the C43 era were less than 1/3 of that. To put it in perspective, during the F430/599/612 era, Ferrari has imported around 1500 total vehicles/yr to North America, and it's not like we only see one of those every couple months.

The GT-R will be rarer than the M3 for sure, but at 1500 units/yr, it's not like we'll rarely see one on the road.
Uhm... I see you're in Las Vegas.

It's easy to say you see Ferrari's quite often in Vegas but in Philly, I'll be lucky to spot one every few months.

The GTR will probably be as rare as any high end car on my side of the country so I'm speaking from my perspective.

And I have to disagree about your statement on the M3 delivering the better driving experience.

Both are great vehicles for sure. But two entirely different beasts. It's like comparing a tiger to Godzilla.
Old 03-26-08, 10:06 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
This is how it works. Most people are more into foreign products and never get excited in the products that your own country produces, regardless what nationality you are. That is the difference between import and domestic. Corvette might arguably be the best American car, but it is still an American car. Haha thanks for reading my bull****.
I think you may be right. I was never really excited about Vett, even Z06 doesn't really capture my attention. I know they are awesome car, but I just don't see myself driving one for some reason, just like I don't see myself driving a Jag XKR.
Old 03-26-08, 10:07 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
used white Lambo Gallardo...dunno how much they are though
Probably a lot more than I can afford, and they are really expensive to maintain.
Old 03-26-08, 10:41 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the GTR...but only if you're not paying over MSRP.
Old 03-26-08, 10:44 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianGS430
Uhm... I see you're in Las Vegas.

It's easy to say you see Ferrari's quite often in Vegas but in Philly, I'll be lucky to spot one every few months.
Why, is Philadelphia really that destitute compared to Las Vegas? I doubt it. Like any city, you've just got to know where to look. Of course if someone sat in North Las Vegas all day, he'd probably never see one - ever.

Regardless, the issue as I presented it is the numbers. My point really was that Ferrari vehicles aren't that rare even though individual models in its lineup are produced at far less than 1500 units/yr. Especially in the last few years with the various economic bubbles in the US, it's become a poser car as a status symbol. Like AM, the cars are worshiped because the high cost provides exclusivity - and with the possible exception of the 599 with its 7-year waiting list - that high cost isn't intrinsic to the low supply.

I simply don't think 1500 units/yr is that rare, so it wouldn't factor into my personal buying decision. C43 imports at less than 500 units/yr (for my MY anyway, it was much less averaged over the lifespan) didn't influence my purchasing decision either.

Originally Posted by BrianGS430
And I have to disagree about your statement on the M3 delivering the better driving experience.
Of course it comes down to personal opinion on this metric, but I think the reviews are rather clear on this as far as an enthusiast's perspective.
Old 03-26-08, 10:47 AM
LexFather

Dude 1500 Units a year is ULTRA rare. There are 300,000,000 million people here. That is what 30 average in a state? (is my math right lol).

Then some will be wrecked, some will not leave the garage and your lucky to see them.

In comparsions, BMW said they will sell over 100,000 M3s this go round!!

Old 03-26-08, 11:18 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Why, is Philadelphia really that destitute compared to Las Vegas? I doubt it. Like any city, you've just got to know where to look. Of course if someone sat in North Las Vegas all day, he'd probably never see one - ever.
Philadelphia is NOT that large a city and I've been to the richest areas. My school had some of the richest kids in Philadelphia including some higher up at Comcast. Jeff Laurie's daughter (Philadelphia Eagles owner) goes to my high school. Johnson and Johnson exec's son went to my highschool. Bobby McFarrin's daughter goes to my highschool. And even in their neighborhood (Chestnut Hill, probably the most expensive place to live in in Pennsylvania), I hardly ever see any exotics. Of course, you've got the occassional Bentley and Aston and 911. But Lambos, Ferraris, and most exotics are rare to see. It's not just becuase they're not there. It's also because the people than own them, garage them.

What I was referring to is the fact that you'll hardly see any GTR's on the road in my area. I'm sure there will be a few owners but the exclusivity on the road will be on par with any exotic.

Of course it comes down to personal opinion on this metric, but I think the reviews are rather clear on this as far as an enthusiast's perspective.
Have you read the reviews? The GTR has beaten the 911 on the track and the M3 doesn't even come close to the 911. What reviews are you talking about? A true enthusiast would admire the M3 and ejaculate at the thought of the GTR.

Quick Reply: Need Help: GTR or M3