Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: GTR or M3
GTR, do what you have to do to get one
78.95%
M3
21.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Need Help: GTR or M3

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-08, 02:27 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to read this thread. But thought I'd put in 2c first.

I was in the market for these two cars. I called around and every Nissan dealer want's $20K on top. In other words it's a $92K car which is ~20K (more than the M3) or in other words about $500/month more.

I mean put $20K on the M3 down and you have a nice down-payment. Put $20K on the GTR and the dealer has a nice nice downpayment for his own GTR.

I ended up test driving and placed an order for the M3. I do not need to drive 190 mph. I do not need 0-100 in 8 seconds or less. The M3 was quick to me. The M3 also has nice rear seats for kids or small adults, the GTR does not. I believe it's said the GTRs rear seats are useless.

For me I'd probably like the GTR more but the cost at $92K it was not a great value. I know the M3 at $67K is not cheap either but it's still $25K ish less.
Old 03-28-08, 02:34 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
Well, gee why should I have to do homework to figure out what the heck you're saying. Never mind. I'm done talking to a brick wall.
Nice to see that what it really comes down to from the vehement GT-R defenders is just name-calling. So far in this thread, despite having supplied plenty of comparisons, explanations, and reviews as evidence, I have been accused of having no driving experience, being biased, and being a brick wall.

Originally Posted by rai
The M3 also has nice rear seats for kids or small adults, the GTR does not. I believe it's said the GTRs rear seats are useless.
I did allude to the rear seats being useless in a past thread, because a translation of a Japanese specification webpage stated that rear seat width was 18", which presumably would not fit an average size adult (not even to mention an average size American, right ). It would be nice to get some more input on this, because - as I said at the time - I cannot be sure that the translation was accurate.

I'd imagine that a lot of enthusiasts might just strip the rear seats or something.
Old 03-28-08, 02:37 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rai

I was in the market for these two cars. I called around and every Nissan dealer want's $20K on top. In other words it's a $92K car which is ~20K (more than the M3) or in other words about $500/month more.

I mean put $20K on the M3 down and you have a nice down-payment. Put $20K on the GTR and the dealer has a nice nice downpayment for his own GTR.

I ended up test driving and placed an order for the M3. I do not need to drive 190 mph. I do not need 0-100 in 8 seconds or less. The M3 was quick to me. The M3 also has nice rear seats for kids or small adults, the GTR does not. I believe it's said the GTRs rear seats are useless.

For me I'd probably like the GTR more but the cost at $92K it was not a great value. I know the M3 at $67K is not cheap either but it's still $25K ish less.
It's a shame that dealers are gouging like that with the asking price of the GT-R. I guess after the initial feeding frenzy they'll be more reasonable.
Old 03-28-08, 04:16 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

GTR hands down, no comparison ...
Old 03-28-08, 04:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Nice to see that what it really comes down to from the vehement GT-R defenders is just name-calling. So far in this thread, despite having supplied plenty of comparisons, explanations, and reviews as evidence, I have been accused of having no driving experience, being biased, and being a brick wall.

put it to a stop, both of you, in case my warning wasn't clear enough
Old 03-28-08, 05:59 PM
Perfection
Lead Lap

Although the GT-R is a heck of an AWESOME and POWERFUL car, I just don't find the need for all that performance. The M3 has more than enough power than I'll ever need. I LOVE the design of the M3, for the GT-R, its a love it or hate it thing, and I hate it. It all comes down to your personal preference though...
Old 03-28-08, 06:09 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rai

Well, the GTR costs 92k because of the markup, which is temporary. I dont know if the new M3 will have markups, but most likely it will at launch as well. The 6 series had a serious markup at launch too, so I suspect the same with the M3. Plus the GTR is much more exclusive (relatively speaking, to the M3 at least), so the markup will (naturally) be higher.

It is only fair to compare the actual prices without the market adjustment. But I do see your preference of having a back seat.
Old 03-28-08, 06:32 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
Well, the GTR costs 92k because of the markup, which is temporary. I dont know if the new M3 will have markups, but most likely it will at launch as well. The 6 series had a serious markup at launch too, so I suspect the same with the M3. Plus the GTR is much more exclusive (relatively speaking, to the M3 at least), so the markup will (naturally) be higher.

It is only fair to compare the actual prices without the market adjustment. But I do see your preference of having a back seat.
Well at least I've found BMW is making a lot of M3s so they tell me 90 days and boom my car will be here. The GTR is much more jumping thru hoops. I put my name in a list but they told me probably won't be for 2 years or more. Well their loss. I do believe they priced the car well but just not feeling like spending $93K no matter how good it is.

I feel it's worth that, but I just don't feel like spending that.

That's the free market. I understand if a Nissan dealer is only getting 3 a year they don't want to sell at MSRP and have me turn around and sell it for +$20K I understand that. It would be better if Nissan could make them quicker (like BMW does or Chevy did with the Z06) but I guess they also like having a strong buzz about how they are hard to get like Hanna Montana tickets.

For my record M3 = no mark-ups and I can tell you I'm on the M3 forums and NO-ONE is paying a mark-up period.

Almost all GTRs are +$20K that I can tell.

But I think both cars are great. I don't think tens of thousands of people would buy a M3 if it's wasn't great.

I don't think the GTR is the best car ever. I thnk it's really reall great but so are most $90K+ (selling price) cars.

The rear seats are nice in the M3 even the coupe. I can fit in back and I'm 6-2. I don't mean I have a lot of room but if I can fit than a normal size adult is not a problem.

I looked at the specs and the GTR has 6" less headroom and something like 4-5 inches less legroom than the M3 coupe. I mean that's like not even having a rear seat. If you take 7" off the headroom the roof would be a my shoulder hight.

Last edited by rai; 03-28-08 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-28-08, 06:37 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's exactly fair to compare the prices WITH market adjustment. That price with markup is what you will have to fork out to get the car. MSRP is manufacturer's SUGGESTED retail price after all. IF Nissan sticks to 1500 GT-R per year, that markup might last for some time if not throughout the production run. You can order M3 right now at the stealer at MSRP and spec it out exactly the way you want it and have the car in about 4 month time.

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK

Old 03-28-08, 06:46 PM
08mica
Pole Position

Other option?

Game over
Old 03-28-08, 06:50 PM
08mica
Pole Position

oh, and did I forget?

Please excuse my obsession. I cannot rid myself of the Audi beauty
Old 03-28-08, 06:51 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
put it to a stop, both of you, in case my warning wasn't clear enough
I didn't take your last post as a warning and in retrospect I probably should have, so I apologize. I simply have little patience for repeated personal attacks, dismissive and generalized characterizations, name-calling, and posters rehashing arguments that moderators have already warned us off on past threads. That's all.

Originally Posted by rai
I looked at the specs and the GTR has 6" less headroom and something like 4-5 inches less legroom than the M3 coupe. I mean that's like not even having a rear seat. If you take 7" off the headroom the roof would be a my shoulder hight.
I've maintained that the GT-R was probably designed as a 2-seater with a rear luggage area as with the SL, and at some point they decided to make it a 2+2. (Of course I have absolutely no evidence to support this - just my theory.) I don't think most GT-R owners really plan to use the rear seats for humans, although I certainly understand it may be disappointing to those who do. I guess I see it as essentially the same thing as people not liking the IS-F actually being a 2+2, since it lacks a rear middle seat.
Old 03-28-08, 07:30 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 08mica
Other option?

Game over
That is one beautiful automobile.

For me the long and short of the original question is this: The M3 is simply outclassed by the GT-R in nearly every measurable way (badge not withstanding). Except in daily practicality, there is no area where it even truly competes.

In fact, the only other auto which would be just as exciting without spending a quarter million, short a 911 GT3, would be the Audi RS8... that is if you have the cash.
Old 03-28-08, 09:23 PM
rai
Lead Lap

I agree about the GTR being a 2-seater, for a while before I knew it was +2, I thought it was certainly a 2-seat car. The rear roof is way low, I saw a cut in half GTR photo and the roof was not much higher than the seatback.

I don't want to take anytrhing away from the GTR it's a magnificant car in all regards just not in rear seats but that's little importance to many.
Old 03-28-08, 10:13 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
That is one beautiful automobile.

For me the long and short of the original question is this: The M3 is simply outclassed by the GT-R in nearly every measurable way (badge not withstanding). Except in daily practicality, there is no area where it even truly competes.
Unfortunately I have to disagree. The only place the GTR has the goods on the M3 is with power. Like I said earlier in the thread I found the interior to cheap and will definately become a rattle box after a short period of time with it wearing 20" rims. Other than that it has the usuall turbo engine problems with the turbo lag. I will take the power curve of a naturaly aspirated engine any day of the week.

Quick Reply: Need Help: GTR or M3