Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: GTR or M3
GTR, do what you have to do to get one
78.95%
M3
21.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Need Help: GTR or M3

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-08, 09:53 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help: GTR or M3(update: picked up 128i vert)

Hello CL,

M3
- My DCT M3 should arrive in June with May build date. Trouble with M3 is that, the MSRP of my configuration comes couple hundreds shy of 70k, which essentially make it the same price with GTR. I thought about getting a stripped M3 coupe with cloth seats, but then what would be the point of having the car with a cloth seats to save 8 or 9k after spending 63k.

I drove the M3 the other day, again for quite a while and I am totally convinced that any car faster than M3 would be totally over kill for everyday driving. The car was a blast to drive. After going over 5k rpm on this car, it exceeded all my expectations, and then some. Such a sweet engine. But Skyline has always been my dream car, and am waiting for one for the longest time. I know that once I get a M3, I will always want a GTR. Then again, I am itching for a new car.

GTR

Only god knows when I will be taking the delivery of this car. With such limited production number, each dealers are getting only 4 or 5 of them a year, and pre ordering process is such a mess. My Nissan dealer said it should be here in August but it highly doubt that. A lot of people have been having their confirmation number already but I have yet to received mind. Sure, I could pay 20k over MSRP and have one in July but I refuse to do so. My order isn't exactly at MSRP either but at what I thought
was a fair price. But my dealer has been giving me run around and not giving me any straight up answer.

On the side note, I thought about IS-F too, but I currently have IS350 and basically I would be paying twice the price of my IS for extra 2 cylinders. Don't get my wrong, I love the Lexus IS-F, but I want something a little different now.

C63, I thought about it, but then again I am never really a MB kind of guy.

So, CL help me out here.

Enjoy M3 with DCT now, or wait for while for the GTR at a reasonable price while enjoying my beloved IS350?

Last edited by STIG; 04-01-08 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-25-08, 10:01 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by STIG
Hello CL,

M3
- My DCT M3 should arrive in June with May build date. Trouble with M3 is that, the MSRP of my configuration comes couple hundreds shy of 70k, which essentially make it the same price with GTR. I thought about getting a stripped M3 coupe with cloth seats, but then what would be the point of having the car with a cloth seats to save 8 or 9k after spending 63k.

I drove the M3 the other day, again for quite a while and I am totally convinced that any car faster than M3 would be totally over kill for everyday driving. The car was a blast to drive. After going over 5k rpm on this car, it exceeded all my expectations, and then some. Such a sweet engine. But Skyline has always been my dream car, and am waiting for one for the longest time. I know that once I get a M3, I will always want a GTR. Then again, I am itching for a new car.

GTR

Only god knows when I will be taking the delivery of this car. With such limited production number, each dealers are getting only 4 or 5 of them a year, and pre ordering process is such a mess. My Nissan dealer said it should be here in August but it highly doubt that. A lot of people have been having their confirmation number already but I have yet to received mind. Sure, I could pay 20k over MSRP and have one in July but I refuse to do so. My order isn't exactly at MSRP either but at what I thought
was a fair price. But my dealer has been giving me run around and not giving me any straight up answer.

On the side note, I thought about IS-F too, but I currently have IS350 and basically I would be paying twice the price of my IS for extra 2 cylinders. Don't get my wrong, I love the Lexus IS-F, but I want something a little different now.

C63, I thought about it, but then again I am never really a MB kind of guy.

So, CL help me out here.

Enjoy M3 with DCT now, or wait for while for the GTR at a reasonable price while enjoying my beloved IS350?
If you've got the IS350, ride it out and wait for the GTR.

The M3 is a great car (it will probably be my next) and it's a great driver's car. But beside the nameplate, what's special about it? Chances are you'll see a couple of them on the road here and there. Nothing special. Just you and your very nice car.

The GTR will be a head turner for sure. Extremely rare on the road. You'll be lucky to see one once a couple months.

IMO, get the GTR. Without a doubt. If pricing is good for you, the GTR, is without question in my mind, the better choice. The M3 is great but there's nothing unique about it anymore.

The GTR is a whole new perspective on the road especially in the US. A japanese tuner car FROM FACTORY that destroys its domestic and european rivals.

Want to stand out? Get the GTR. Put a smile on your face everytime you step in. Watch other people almost get into accidents because they can't stop staring at your car. Leave those pesky people who are trying to tail you, behind.
Old 03-25-08, 10:03 PM
LexFather

GT-R gets my vote......

Old 03-25-08, 10:05 PM
MelF1fan
Driver

Definitely GTR >> M3.

GTR will also be the more rare vehicle. Don't know as time passes but good luck finding a GTR for the $70,000 price tag reading about all the markups.
Old 03-25-08, 10:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i would easily choose the gt-r over the m3
Old 03-25-08, 10:14 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

GTR GTR GTR.....no way I would pick a M3 over GTR ever and plus you have a IS350 just keep driving it and wait till the GTR.....
Old 03-25-08, 10:33 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GT-R = no brainer. Patience will be rewarded my friend.
Old 03-25-08, 10:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

the GTR will destroy the beamer. All wheel drive, turbo, and more power. No brainer
Old 03-26-08, 01:05 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

1000000000000000000000000000000000000000% sure GT-R.
Old 03-26-08, 01:22 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not get a corvette?
Old 03-26-08, 01:29 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Why not get a corvette?
This is how it works. Most people are more into foreign products and never get excited in the products that your own country produces, regardless what nationality you are. That is the difference between import and domestic. Corvette might arguably be the best American car, but it is still an American car. Haha thanks for reading my bull****.
Old 03-26-08, 01:42 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Ultimately, it comes down to two factors: driving experience and buying/service experience. I have no doubts the M3 will offer a far superior driving experience to the GT-R. On the other front, it's not as clear cut. You're obviously already encountering some arrogance on the Nissan end, and you'll have to decide for yourself how much of that you want to put up with. But with the M3, you're also going to be paying a ton for the options as you noted. Service I'm mixed on. Through personal experiences and those of others, I simply do not believe either Nissan or BMW put priorities on service.

Originally Posted by BrianGS430
The M3 is a great car (it will probably be my next) and it's a great driver's car. But beside the nameplate, what's special about it? Chances are you'll see a couple of them on the road here and there. Nothing special. Just you and your very nice car.

The GTR will be a head turner for sure. Extremely rare on the road. You'll be lucky to see one once a couple months.
Nissan will import 1500/yr to the US. That is hardly rare. Annual AMG imports to the US during the C43 era were less than 1/3 of that. To put it in perspective, during the F430/599/612 era, Ferrari has imported around 1500 total vehicles/yr to North America, and it's not like we only see one of those every couple months.

The GT-R will be rarer than the M3 for sure, but at 1500 units/yr, it's not like we'll rarely see one on the road.

Last edited by gengar; 03-26-08 at 01:46 AM.
Old 03-26-08, 05:13 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

GTR without a doubt. Not even a comparison between the two.
Old 03-26-08, 05:59 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

911 with out a doubt! But then again I am just killing time with the IS-F waiting for the LF-A.
Old 03-26-08, 06:12 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Go with GODZILLA, get the GTR

Quick Reply: Need Help: GTR or M3