Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

$25k daily driver recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-08, 02:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
LS430 is rather floaty and soft, though that's nothing that can't be changed with aftermarket parts.
Why alter the suspension? Isn't that the whole IDEA of getting an LS............comfort over handling? There are plenty of other sports sedans out there for those who want them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-29-08 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-29-08, 03:18 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say GO for the RL.. absolutely all around a+ car.

as another member said also maybe an Infiniti Q45.. very rare as they are no longer made!

what about an e39? just get the inline 6 though.. the dealership mechanics tell me that the 6's are built like tanks.. but i should avoid the 8's cuz they are quite troublesome..
Old 03-29-08, 05:43 PM
proximal
Driver

How about a Saab 9-5 Aero? It's not common, more mature looking, has those famous comfortable Swedish seats. It doesn't have 300 hp but as I recall, it has amazing power (especially 50-70 mph).

edit: It seems I recall correctly... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiUB_yQz4JQ
Old 03-29-08, 08:08 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Legacy GT.
+1

There will hopefully be one in my driveway after monday

-J
Old 03-29-08, 08:39 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3

Any suggestions? Mmarshall? 1SickLex?

Thanks in advance.

Jon
Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
1. Rarity
2. Reliability
3. Styling
4. Comfort
5. Power: (at least 300hp)

1. The RL is not rare by choice, its rare b/c no one wants it. Also, the RL resale is horrendous, so as soon as you buy it, its value will plummet even more. Its a good car that just isn't desirable, people love to recommend it but don't vote for it with their own wallets. Is it rare? Yup and its because the RL is the entree and your luxury restarant no one orders "Can I have the Dog Poop Taco".

2. Its had a couple of issues but all cars do, for the most part, a very reliable vehicle.

3. You require styling and IMO, it can't even be called a giant Accord as the new Accord is now BIGGER and do not forget the RL just got refreshed and beat with the Honda ugly stick. Styling is subjective and to me, it doesn't have any style.

4. Let me say though the RL does have tons of tech that makes the SC 400 seem ancient. There is no comparison in interior size, the RL is much roomier than any SC clearly. Some hear rave about the interior, I think its okay, I don't think its class leading or anything. It does have the usual outstanding Honda/Acura ergonomics.

5. One thing to consider, the Acura Rl does have 300hp but it feels like 225hp. THe car is no faster than your SC 400 and the SC 430 is a full second faster in the 60 sprint and 1/4 mile. Its not underpowered, just don't get caught in the HP rating too much.

I would recommend the TL before the RL.

SC 430

1. Rarity. It is a low volume Lexus, with a volume of 10k after the initial year of 12k to be sold. It is a popular car, espeically when new that is rare. Remember it was 60k in 2002 and it is 65k now. Modded, you just don't see many.

2. Its one of the most reliable cars made in the world. It has the lowest per problem score in JD Power history, which is amazing being it has a complicated folding top.

3. Styling. If its not black and modded, I don't really see myself in it. It is odd in some angles. It has to have new wheels. At least it has aged well and Lexus hasn't tinkered with it too much.

4. Comfort. It is a small car, it has all the luxury you need and some decent tech but it maybe cramped, depending on your size. Remember, this is a low volume halo car for Lexus at one point, this is a persons usally 2nd or 3rd car.

5. It has the familiar 4.3 V-8 and does 0-60 in high 5s and the 1/4 in the mid to high 14s. It has more than enough get up and go.

Honestly between those 2 cars I am not "moved" by either. I have flirted with the thought of a SC 430 (black/modded). So in my next post I'll give you some other ideas based on your criteria.

Old 03-29-08, 08:42 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why alter the suspension? Isn't that the whole IDEA of getting an LS............comfort over handling? There are plenty of other sports sedans out there for those who want them.
You're right. You're absolutely right. There is no reason to mess with the suspension.

Damn you Seize and CL for messing with my brain:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193556

Old 03-29-08, 08:54 PM
LexFather

2 cars I am fans of that were mentioned that fit your criteria for the most part.
Legacy GT and the Volvo S60 R.

Sadly the S60R is discontinued, people just don't mix Volvo and sporty and it was less of a good first effort than say the IS-F. However, it looks GREAT IMO, has TONS of power from a turbo 5, has Brembo brakes and IMO, its a GOOD rare. This was a car not to be sold in large amounts and it didn't. Interior is stylish, its comfy and has a good size. I am scared of reliablity a little bit looking at Volvo as a whole but I am not sure of that particular cars issues.

IMO, the Legacy GT is almost just like it. People just don't buy 35k Subies not STi. Its luxurious, stylish, powerful and rare (they even had a rare version with Red leather that is FANTASTIC only 500 made and they had trouble selling those). Again, I am not sure of its reliablity.

Q45 and M45s have been mentioned and I started a thread a few months ago I think they are (at the time) the BEST used car deals you can buy. Big, powerful, techy nearly new cars in the high teens/low 20s range, the price of an older ES 300 or IS 300!!! NUTS!!! Tons of power, comfort and reliable. Sadly, they are rare and its the bad rare, meant to sell but didn't.

I saw GTO and G35 being mentioned and those are 2 good suggestions. I know its stretching a lil but check out the VW V-8 Phaeton. The 2 main negs are its bad rare and reliablity. Lincoln LS is also another consideration but its also discontinued. Check out older Audi V-6 tts or V-8s but reliablity maybe an issue. Tons of mods though.

Overall as I think this over, if YOU like the Acura RL it is a steal of a buy. Amazing they are under 30k already.