Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

$25k daily driver recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-08, 04:35 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default $25k daily driver recommendation

Guys,

After almost 5 years of ownership I am now looking for a worthy replacement for my aging SC4, which has been almost trouble free for the past 245k miles.

As far as the price is concerned, I'd like to spend about $25k or so, as I think I would be able to buy myself a decent daily driver without going overboard. There are a few things that I am looking for in particular, though:

1. Rarity: I actually prefer driving cars that are not popular and everyday folks' machine. If I go to a supermarket, I'd like to come out knowing that I won't find 50 other similarly made cars around me. Hence, Camrys and Accords are out of question for me.

2. Reliability: I travel mostly on the highways and usually put a large number of miles on my car. I really can't afford to come up with the time to keep my car in a shop for unnecessary reasons.

3. Styling: Most of my colleagues are in their 30s-50s so I would like to drive something that look a bit more mature. The IS, the C class and the 3 series are nice cars, but their styles are a bit too young for my taste. Of course, I am not looking for a Buick, either.

4. Comfort: Comfort is important for me, as I am always in a suit and occasionally hauling clients. Therefore Corvettes, as attractive of a choice as they are, don't really appear to be a viable option for me.

5. Power: I am looking for anything with at least 300hp. Having been spoiled with the SC4's 250hp RWD drive train, anything less powerful simply doesn't feel confident for highway passes.

Could anyone please recommend something that falls within this price range that fits my criteria? So far I've narrowed down to two choices: Either a 2002+ SC430 or a 2006+ Acura RL.

I am slightly in favor of the SC430 but the downsides are that it's an older car and unfortunately, I can't even take a nap in it in case I get tired from driving. The RL, on the other hand, probably does not have a solid reputation for having a bulletproof SC4-like reliability. But in my opinion it's an awfully well engineered and underrated car.

Any suggestions? Mmarshall? 1SickLex?

Thanks in advance.

Jon
Old 03-28-08, 04:40 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest driving a LS2-based Pontiac GTO. They are still pretty new and can be found with low miles. Unlike most of GM's products, the interior is VERY nicely done. Makes sense since its a Holden product. From what I hear, they are pretty reliable to boot

I have driven one before for a bit and they are a lot of fun, handle decently, and make plenty of power for a DD. It has a lot of headroom for future mods too since it has the LS2 engine.

Also, the 6-speed manual tranny gets over 30mpg on the highway.
Old 03-28-08, 04:46 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An used 2005-06 Infiniti G35 sedan.

Four door reliable sports sedan with 280hp costing around $25k. It doesn't look as young as IS or Evo but still not as old as a Volvo or Jaguar. It is comfortable enough and big enough in case of hauling clients. RWD is fun to drive and that smooth powerful engine are something you need when you are alone and want to unleash those stress sometimes. It is not as rare as a Porsche or NSX but still not everywhere. Just my opinion.

Last edited by TwiBlueG35; 03-28-08 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-28-08, 05:42 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Bean:

You've actually hit that one in the nail for me. The GTO's always been one of my favorite cars since it was released here in the States! However, there are two things that ended up persuading me to consider something else: 1. It's 5.7-6.0 litre and gas is going to be expensive and 2. I'll have to be stuck in an automatic as I am a terrible stick shift driver.

TwinBlueG35:

Another excellent choice! If I were go choose the G35 I'd probably also consider the two door, as it looks just as good and is a bit more sporty.

Anything else guys? Does anyone have any experience with the 06' RL?

Thanks!

Jon
Old 03-28-08, 06:01 PM
Perfection
Lead Lap

A used SC430 seems like a good choice. It looks good, has decent DD performance, and on top of that, it has Lexus reliability.
Old 03-28-08, 06:38 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

From what I've read, RLs are actually rather reliable, although I do know one RL owner who had problems with the starter after only about 2 years. My roommate's younger brother has been driving one for a few years (I think it's a 2005?) and abuses the heck out of it and there haven't been any problems... yet.

Are you aiming for a coupe only? Everything you've mentioned is a coupe, even saying that you'd rather have the G35 in coupe form. Otherwise I might suggest looking at even an IS350. There are a lot out there that people have put a lot of miles on already... I'm sure you could find some in the target price range.

I don't think you can go wrong with the G35 either though. It's a great car.
Old 03-28-08, 06:43 PM
08mica
Pole Position

A4. A used ones are going for dirt cheap. Ask me how I know. reliability is not as bad as they say.
Old 03-28-08, 06:47 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would stick with the RL.

Powerful, fuel efficient, great for clients, more mature than the entry-level models (G/IS/C/A4/3). SH-AWD is a bonus too although I see you're in CA so I don't know how useful it'll be. I believe its nav comes with XM Traffic which should be helpful in CA traffic.
Old 03-28-08, 06:58 PM
proximal
Driver

I would also consider an Audi A6 4.2Q or Volvo S60R.
Old 03-28-08, 07:44 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

bmw 545i... i think it's everything you're looking for.
Old 03-28-08, 07:45 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by flipspeed
bmw 545i... i think it's everything you're looking for.
I'd second this, but I also think you'd need a LOT of miles on one to bring it down to OP's price range......
Old 03-28-08, 08:13 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gengar
I'd second this, but I also think you'd need a LOT of miles on one to bring it down to OP's price range......
i've seen some '04 models with 50-60k miles in his price range. it's a risk buying this car in its first year and without warranty but it's a really nice car to drive gs430 is another car to consider if reliability is a priority.
Old 03-28-08, 08:26 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heck for $25k you could get an 02-03 LS430 - at least that's about the price I've seen them list for on fleabay.. a CPO will be more $$ of course...

Personally I wouldn't touch an Audi as far as reliability.

The RL is nice car too - the AWD is appealing to me with IL winters. But I think I'd still rather have an LS430 for the same $$.
Old 03-28-08, 08:29 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
1. Rarity
2. Reliability
3. Styling
4. Comfort
5. Power: (at least 300hp)
I agree with the RL.

Other choices: the LS430 is good, but for $25k will have compromises. M35/45 is rarer with AWD options, but again, for the price may have lots of mileage.
Old 03-28-08, 08:33 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMax96
Heck for $25k you could get an 02-03 LS430 - at least that's about the price I've seen them list for on fleabay.. a CPO will be more $$ of course...

Personally I wouldn't touch an Audi as far as reliability.

The RL is nice car too - the AWD is appealing to me with IL winters. But I think I'd still rather have an LS430 for the same $$.
Yea man, you could buy a LS430. My LS400 is one of 2 that I know of in my town...you just dont see them anymore.

The LS430 is quiet, has a good amount of power (especially on the highway), comfortable, very reliable, and prestigeous. Acura RL you may get similar results, but it wont hold its value as long.

If it were me, I'd more than likely invest in a LS430 or a 2nd generation GS430

Quick Reply: $25k daily driver recommendation