Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-08, 04:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great review mmarshal, as usual.

With the growing fuel prices, hybrids are bound to become more and more popular, especially now that it's basically game over for diesel in US. I hope Acura would make TSX hybrid, that would be one awesome car.
Old 03-29-08, 05:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Great review mmarshal, as usual.
Thanks.

With the growing fuel prices, hybrids are bound to become more and more popular, especially now that it's basically game over for diesel in US. I hope Acura would make TSX hybrid, that would be one awesome car.
I'm not sure diesels are over yet in the U.S. We just got all-new, low-sulfur diesel fuel last year (by EPA mandate). That wasn't done for nothing....it was done so automakers could introduce the same clean-burning, high-technonlgy diesels they have in Europe. Unfortunately, because of economies of scale right now, and the cost of producing it, that new diesel fuel is not cheap.....roughly the cost of Premium gas.

The Civic Hybrid's build quality, IMO, actually exceeds that of the TSX in some ways, especially in the exterior sheet metal and door solidness. I also liked the Civic Hybrid's plush, relatively soft fabric seats mote than the TSX's leather. The TSX, though, with the beige interior, has nice wood trim the Civic lacks....and the TSX, obviously, has a more sporting chassis and a smoother drivetrain starting out from idle.
Old 03-29-08, 05:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks.

I'm not sure diesels are over yet in the U.S. We just got all-new, low-sulfur diesel fuel last year (by EPA mandate). That wasn't done for nothing....it was done so automakers could introduce the same clean-burning, high-technonlgy diesels they have in Europe. Unfortunately, because of economies of scale right now, and the cost of producing it, that new diesel fuel is not cheap.....roughly the cost of Premium gas.
Well, there are a few problems with diesel.
1) Right now it costs 50% more than gasoline.
2) The low sulfur diesel lacks certain lubricants that are essential for older diesel engines.
3) Some new diesels have complicated exaust system, that isn't very reliable and expensive to repair.
4) There are some states that still prohibit diesel vehicles.

The Civic Hybrid's build quality, IMO, actually exceeds that of the TSX in some ways, especially in the exterior sheet metal and door solidness. I also liked the Civic Hybrid's plush, relatively soft fabric seats mote than the TSX's leather. The TSX, though, with the beige interior, has nice wood trim the Civic lacks....and the TSX, obviously, has a more sporting chassis and a smoother drivetrain starting out from idle.
Well, TSX is still a luxury car, and I'm sure the newly introduced TSX will surpass any build quality advantage that the civic may have... although I wish the TSX would be a little plushier, the one I test drove was very hard on the road, much stiffer than my GS with 17" rims.

And with the skyrocketing fuel prices, the highly critisized inline four is actually a very sensible choice. If they added an electric motor to it, (and kept it affordable) it would be an awesome package.
Old 03-29-08, 06:56 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike, are you planning to review the next gen '09 TSX?

Acura.com states it will be available in April, but I saw one driving around in Long Beach earlier today. It definitely caught my attention...
Old 03-29-08, 11:26 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No. Hybrids, in general, don't use steel wheels. While, of course, cheaper than aluminum alloy, they add weight and, in some cases, may add to rolling resistance, both of which hybrid designers try to avoid to lessen the engine load and help keep the gas mileage up.
oh I know, I'm just saying the design of the HCH-I's alloys look like steelies. Don't they?

Just a sarcastic way of saying that the battery pack is there to stay.....you can't remove it or fold it up to take advantage of folding rear seats. That's probably the reason why the Civic Hybrid doesn't have folding rear seats.....the battery pack takes up the space right behind the seats, and a seat-folding mechanism is unnecessary...it wouldn't serve any purpose or add anything to the already compromised trunk space.

But.....if none of the other (non-hybrid) Civic sedans or coupes have folding rear seats (I didn't check to see), then that may just be a cost-cutting measure.
ohh lol. Yeah but I mean they couldn't design the car to position the battery pack somewhat out of the way like Toyota did with the Camry?

I don't know about the US, but in Canada, it's full folding seats only unless you get the EX which then you get upgraded to split 60/40 folding rear seats.
Old 03-30-08, 03:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Mike, are you planning to review the next gen '09 TSX?

Acura.com states it will be available in April, but I saw one driving around in Long Beach earlier today. It definitely caught my attention...
Yes. I'll do it by request. They should be arriving in this area also about that time. So should the Lexus IS-F, which is of widespread CL interest.....but an unsold IS-F will be hard to find. That may take awhile.

First, though, I already have a request for a Pontiac G8. That will be next.....probably next week.
Old 03-30-08, 03:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
oh I know, I'm just saying the design of the HCH-I's alloys look like steelies. Don't they?
I guess it depends on your eyes....and your perspective. To me, they look just like what they are.....alloys with small holes.
Old 03-30-08, 03:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned reviews: 2008 Pontiac G8, 2009 Acura TSX (when available), Lexus IS-F (when available)
Old 05-04-08, 08:48 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off topic and maybe in another thread but has anyone heard if the accord diesel will be making it to America anytime soon?

I agree with the author that Prius has a superior drivetrain off of idle compared to the Civic. I had both as rental cars for an average of 500 miles and on steep hills the Civic gave me quite a scare when I let off the brakes and rolled back before the engine turned on. A friend who owns the previous generation hybrid civic told me there is a way to stop it from turning off the engine at stop lights but that would seem to defeat the purpose of the hybrid in city driving.
Old 05-05-08, 04:24 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

No. Hybrids, in general, don't use steel wheels. While, of course, cheaper than aluminum alloy, they add weight and, in some cases, may add to rolling resistance, both of which hybrid designers try to avoid to lessen the engine load and help keep the gas mileage up.
You may be surprised to know that steel wheels usually weight less than alloys, at least from my experience. Dont forget, that while aluminum is lighter than steel, aluminum alloy wheel construction is usually much much thicker than steel wheel, therefore resulting in higher weight. Unless we're talking about extremely expensive aftermarket lightweight alloys of course. From my experience however:

1) My old gs300 was equipped with oem 16" alloys, and 16" steelie spare. The spare was lighter.
2) My old honda Civic had 15" aftermarket alloys, and 15" oem steel wheel for a spare. The spare was ridiculously lighter.
Old 05-05-08, 10:28 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
You may be surprised to know that steel wheels usually weight less than alloys, at least from my experience. Dont forget, that while aluminum is lighter than steel, aluminum alloy wheel construction is usually much much thicker than steel wheel, therefore resulting in higher weight. Unless we're talking about extremely expensive aftermarket lightweight alloys of course. From my experience however:

1) My old gs300 was equipped with oem 16" alloys, and 16" steelie spare. The spare was lighter.
2) My old honda Civic had 15" aftermarket alloys, and 15" oem steel wheel for a spare. The spare was ridiculously lighter.
Are the spares the same width as the oem alloys?
Old 05-05-08, 10:41 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by meanboy
Are the spares the same width as the oem alloys?
Well, on the old GS the spare tire was 215/60/16 and other tires were 225/60/16, so I guess it accounts for some difference as well. One the Honda, all tires were the same size/brand/make.
Old 05-06-08, 09:51 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

nice review - I missed this one back in March.

keep up the great work!

have you reviewed a Ford Escape Hybrid?
Old 05-06-08, 10:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
nice review - I missed this one back in March.

keep up the great work!

have you reviewed a Ford Escape Hybrid?
Thanks.

No, haven't reviewed an Escape Hybrid. They are hard to find unsold.

I'll put it on my list, though. Right now long reviews are on hold until the soreness in my right elbow from computer overuse heals....I think rapid and overuse of the mouse and clicking damaged some tendons. So it will be just short posts like this one for awhile.