Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why arent steering wheels perfect circles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-08 | 11:15 PM
RXSF

Default Why arent steering wheels perfect circles?

Im not sure if anyone else is as annoyed as i am by the steering wheel. I understand that there is no such thing as a "perfect" circle, but it seems like they can put more effort into making them more perfect; i mean this is the pursuit of perfection. They look like perfect circles but when you turn the wheel, you can see that its not. Has anybody else driven a car with a near "perfect" steering wheel? because the one in my RX is horrible

just curious
Old 03-29-08 | 05:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The reason some steering wheels are not perfect circles is that some of our bellies and thighs are oversize circles. "D"-shaped wheels (VW and Audi, especially, like to do them), along with tilting and telescoping, make it easier to get in and out when you've eaten too many Big Macs.
Old 03-29-08 | 06:43 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Back in the 70's British Leyland brought out the all new Austin Allegro with a square (they called it "Quartic") steering wheel. The idea being that you could see the instruments better, it made getting in and out easier and gave you more leverage - the steering was non-assisted - for parking. Unfortunately the buying public stared in disbelief and kept their cheque books in their pockets and even the police promptly converted their cars to normal steering wheels.
Old 03-29-08 | 06:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Back in the 70's British Leyland brought out the all new Austin Allegro with a square (they called it "Quartic") steering wheel. The idea being that you could see the instruments better, it made getting in and out easier and gave you more leverage - the steering was non-assisted - for parking. Unfortunately the buying public stared in disbelief and kept their cheque books in their pockets and even the police promptly converted their cars to normal steering wheels.
Yes......back in the late 50's and early 60's, some larger Chrysler products also had square/oval shaped wheels...but never explained why. The public, on the average, wasn't as overweight back then as they are today.
Old 03-29-08 | 04:31 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

The subtle difference in shape also helps you sense/percieve if the steering wheel is upright or not.
Old 03-29-08 | 05:42 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

because we dont need to turn the wheel so much and so hard now with easy power steering
and as said above, it does give us a better sense of position
Old 03-29-08 | 06:20 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

I don't think it's that most of them aren't perfect circles, it's more that it's not mount on the exact center point of the "circle" that makes up the steering wheel, hence the somewhat "off" rotation. It has never really bothered me personally.
Old 03-29-08 | 06:38 PM
Coconut
Racer

Originally Posted by ksxxsk
Actually, there is.
yep, and its right below:

lol
Old 03-29-08 | 06:48 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

You'd have hated my Porsche Turbo. The ONLY way to get your legs under the wheel was to use this one. (and they still hit it when turning)
Attached Thumbnails Why arent steering wheels perfect circles?-porscheinterior.jpg  
Old 03-29-08 | 07:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
You'd have hated my Porsche Turbo. The ONLY way to get your legs under the wheel was to use this one. (and they still hit it when turning)
Yup those steering wheels are racing inspired and becoming more popular. The RS4 has it and I think the R8 and GTI
Old 03-29-08 | 08:28 PM
fatmike
Lead Lap

I think my mercs steering wheel is a circle? maybe I'm wrong
Old 03-29-08 | 08:46 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

you dont really need a fully circular steering wheel unless you are driving a bus or a truck
Old 03-29-08 | 09:05 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by ksxxsk
Actually, there is.
How so? Was it measured down to the subatomic level?
Old 03-29-08 | 10:26 PM
RXSF

i dont think you guys are getting what im saying.

our circular steering whees are circles, but when you turn then, you can see its not a perfect circle either because its mounted incorrectly or because the steering wheel isnt perfect.
Old 03-29-08 | 10:30 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by RXSF
i dont think you guys are getting what im saying.

our circular steering whees are circles, but when you turn then, you can see its not a perfect circle either because its mounted incorrectly or because the steering wheel isnt perfect.
Well, that's a whole different topic then...

Quick Reply: Why arent steering wheels perfect circles?