Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

the other day i heard"I'd never buy a lexus. Its just a rebadged Toyota."

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-08, 09:23 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
You should pointedly ask them exactly what model is being rebadged; because the ES is the only one that even comes close. And if one sits in both cars, they are VERY different from another. The IS, GS, SC, and RX either have no Toyota-version or (in the RX case), just share a chassis
Well you mean available in America. Many of the Models you named DO have Toyota counterparts in Japan.
Old 03-29-08, 09:56 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
really, then whats the ES.....?
Don't forget the RX and Highlander...

But honestly, Lexus is more and more "independent" from Toyota. They may share the same engines (and perhaps the same chassis), but their build quality, design, and technology far differentiates them from one another.
Old 03-29-08, 10:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

lol, i hear stuff like these all the time. don't really care, lexus is by toyota anyway. but like some said, the lexus i buy, there are no toyota "equivalent", and if it's a luxury car that's more reliable? why not

funny, today at chiropractic session, chiropractor talked to my wife about cars. he said one of his patients is a tech at mb, and he told my chiropractor, "as a friend, please don't get mb. get a lexus"

Old 03-29-08, 10:05 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
really, then whats the ES.....?
I guess I forgot to mention that I never believed the ES to be a true Lexus model. Its like a Camry.....with spunk.
Old 03-29-08, 10:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1995LS400
I guess I forgot to mention that I never believed the ES to be a true Lexus model. Its like a Camry.....with spunk.
it's still lexus regardless what you think
Old 03-29-08, 10:21 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

While it may be a stupid statement, I've seen equally stupid statements on here regarding how 'luxury' cars are somehow better than 'non luxury' cars. Who cares? The whole idea of a 'luxury' car is something created by marketers to get people to buy into the idea that their cars are somehow better than cars purchased by poor people.

Buy the car you like and forget what other people think about the brand, the whole thing is stupid
Old 03-29-08, 10:35 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Well its clear that the perception is out there regardless of actual reality. You can blame this on similarities across brand lines, and poor differentiation/marketing by Toyota/Lexus
Old 03-29-08, 11:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
lol, i hear stuff like these all the time. don't really care, lexus is by toyota anyway. but like some said, the lexus i buy, there are no toyota "equivalent", and if it's a luxury car that's more reliable? why not

funny, today at chiropractic session, chiropractor talked to my wife about cars. he said one of his patients is a tech at mb, and he told my chiropractor, "as a friend, please don't get mb. get a lexus"

Lol, funny. When I had my GS 400, I took off all the badges. Everyone on knew that wasn't a car person would tell me "Why would you take off the Lexus badges"????

I didn't care, I knew what it was

Originally Posted by thetopdog
While it may be a stupid statement, I've seen equally stupid statements on here regarding how 'luxury' cars are somehow better than 'non luxury' cars. Who cares? The whole idea of a 'luxury' car is something created by marketers to get people to buy into the idea that their cars are somehow better than cars purchased by poor people.

Buy the car you like and forget what other people think about the brand, the whole thing is stupid
Luxury cars SHOULD be better than non luxury cars otherwise what is the point of paying for it or why is a luxury brand not being a luxury brand???

For all intents and purposes, a luxury car IS better than a non luxury car.

Originally Posted by leedogg
Well its clear that the perception is out there regardless of actual reality. You can blame this on similarities across brand lines, and poor differentiation/marketing by Toyota/Lexus
I disagree. Lexus marketing has been regarded as near tops in ANY industry. As for differentation, I think the ES while always selling well for Lexus, is the Lexus most people bash or "hate" on as an upscale Toyota.

RARELY have I met an educated auto enthusiast making a remark like "thats just a Toyota". Most of the time I've heard the remark its
1. Some person who contributes nothing to society
2. Some person just trying to make themselves feel better by talking about my "Toyota", even if they drive an old crappy Hyundai Excel

I've had some great conversations with friends or strangers or peers who do know Toyota owns Lexus and want to learn more about it. That is when I bore them with facts.

Old 03-29-08, 11:34 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they say something like that, they just don't get it. They prefer image over attention to detail. It doesn't matter if the door handle is plastic or the radio buttons are only operable using a stylus.

I went to the auto show again and sat in the ES350. I was reminded what it meant to be a Lexus owner. You value the detail in the design. The felt-lined door handle pull, the leather-wrapped overhead assist grips, the LED lights that illuminate your seat (unlike BMW's rear reading light that lights up a general area)
Old 03-30-08, 12:05 AM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

It's funny that you mention that. I've also heard that from a MB dealer mechanic AND an Audi dealer mechanic (although they didn't follow their statement up with the Lexus statement).
Old 03-30-08, 01:39 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

rebadged toyota or not, my lexus is a hella lot more reliable than your non-lexus AND it's a super nice car ... hows that bimmer service workin out for ya?
Old 03-30-08, 12:07 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

What is so wrong of being an expensive Toyota? Toyota is one of the best automakers in the world. They almost sell the most number of vehicles, they make the most reliable vehicles, Lexus make the most comfortable and best looking(subjective) vehicles at a better value than those overpriced European brands.
Old 03-30-08, 01:57 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1995LS400
Does any Toyota cars except for the Supra have RWD? I dont think so.
what? never heard of the 3 generations of rwd mr2 before? how about the awd celica alltrac? or the fwd ES300?
Old 03-30-08, 02:05 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Who cares really. None of this kind of stuff should really bother you. I car is just a car. Nothing but metals and plastic. When they no longer server your purpose you replace them. It really shouldn't matter what people think if the cars you buy. What works for one doesn't always work for another. People have different taste. I think it is pretty silly to automatically assume one car is universally better than another. Better how? Comfort? Sport? Speed? Handling? reliability? Everyone has different priorities that will make one car better for them than another.

I find it funny how even though we grow older, some of the same elementary school arguments still occur. My Diamond Back is better than your BMX. My Lexus is better than your BMW.

Personally, I used to always try and debadge go the JDM badge route. Up until the point there they started to use the Lexus etching in the glass, I would have put JDM Toyota badges on my Lexus. Now, since the the glass says Lexus, there really is no point anymore. I used to put Honda badges on my Acura as well.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 03-30-08 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-30-08, 02:09 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard that too, I just laugh and tell them, I know cars, and I know what I am getting.

Quick Reply: the other day i heard"I'd never buy a lexus. Its just a rebadged Toyota."