Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

the other day i heard"I'd never buy a lexus. Its just a rebadged Toyota."

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-08, 02:37 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i really don't care if i drive a rebadged toyota...i use to drive a rebadged nissan.
Old 03-30-08, 02:53 PM
bluerex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one has said it to my face. but when i was deciding between a LS430 and 04 e55, i had to do my research and look around. i called fletcher to schedule a time to look at one, she tried to make me go there right away. i informed her that iwas going to be comparing it to a 04ls, she responded with "why are you looking a toyota in tuxedo"

wow..i never visited the dealership. i went straight to lexus and picked up a ls430 that night.

i know they are two different cars and each has its pros and cons. but at the end of the day, i was not making my decision on power/price, i was making my decision on which car was going to cost me less to maintain. obviously, it had to be the ls430. i never looked back.
Old 03-30-08, 03:15 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

apperently theve never driver or riden in one cause they can't afford it , jk as others have said, you buy a car because you like a car, not because of what other people say. if you do buy cars just for the name, well i think you may be compensating for something
Old 03-30-08, 04:05 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by inwood
One of my coworkers always comments that I wasted my money on an "over priced Toyota". She drives an 00 C230 Benz BTW. So during a company meeting she decides it would be funny to mention it again in front of everyone. I finally got fed up and said "I'd rather have an over priced Toyota over an overpriced Chrystler". She shut up real quick and I haven't heard any smart remarks from her since.

she drives an overpriced 4-banger $30000+ benz C class. she's the dumb one. haha!

you should invite her to sit in your lexus, and if she says it's still a toyota, tell her it's still built better than your C class, and can burn your *** on the road.

mercedes makes corolla-like models for europe. so they have lux and nonlux models...... just as toyota does. but toyo has 2 separate brands.

audi is the biggest joke. now those are true rebadges. all FWD or FW-biased awd VW's.

what amuses me most is how these guys speak and pretend to look like they're so knowledgeable. You ever see their faces?.....
Old 03-30-08, 04:10 PM
JDM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wolverine
what? never heard of the 3 generations of rwd mr2 before?
To be fair, its a FWD just in the back. Awesome though, i still miss mine.
Old 03-30-08, 04:36 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bluerex
make me go there right away. i informed her that iwas going to be comparing it to a 04ls, she responded with "why are you looking a toyota in tuxedo"
I do find it interesting that, in general, Lexus salespeople will compliment other manufacturers. "Yes, the 550i is a very nice vehicle. Well-appointed, and that engine is amazing! But I think if you take a closer look at this GS460, you'll find that it's got some very nice things going for it as well."

I am MUCH more likely to buy a product from someone who uses that approach that one who feels they have to take cheap shots at the competition in a misguided attempt to somehow prop up whatever they're selling. It has happened to me at a lot of MB and BMW dealerships that I get the comments like "gussied-up Toyota", "old man's car", "I guess if you like a slow car with a slushy suspension", "I just can't think of any Japanese car as a luxury car; luxury comes from Europe", etc. It's insecurity, plain and simple, and it turns me off.
Old 03-30-08, 06:14 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

lexus is #1 in sales, and all lexus buyers are idiots.
Old 03-30-08, 06:21 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dunnojack
lexus is #1 in sales, and all lexus buyers are idiots.
back at you...
Old 03-30-08, 07:41 PM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

I personally think that when someone ignorant says something stupid like "its just a toyota" feels some sort of envy and jealousy towards us because they know its competition although no one has mention this towards me.

Its like if u feel so low of the car why bother to waste your time and breath to actually approach someone with the comment....

Its actually sort of funny because i have yet to hear stories about toyota/lexus guys talk as much **** about other car brand
Old 03-30-08, 08:30 PM
LexFather

merged with a 5 year old thread!

Old 03-31-08, 07:57 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDM
To be fair, its a FWD just in the back. Awesome though, i still miss mine.
just like some exotics lol
Old 03-31-08, 08:49 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I had one guy at the light in an older body 325i tell me "Nice Toyota" I'm like thanks, he then proceeds to show off when the light turns green. He got the jump because I had no traction anyway I let the BOV go off right when I passed him and he looked over me with this crazy expression lol.
Old 03-31-08, 05:10 PM
juniorEXE
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

hahahah I NEVER hear someone say that my car is a Toyota, which, of course I wouldn't mind because Toyota is one of the worlds finest car manufacturer. All I ever get is "nice Benz" or "how is the maintenance on that Mercedes?" cracks me up
Old 04-01-08, 10:29 PM
Lex Law
Pole Position

And your kids are just a re-badged you?

(That'll wipe the fake smirk off their face. Shouldn't have gotten personal with my Lexyota.)
Old 04-01-08, 10:44 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i could care less. just smile and drive away and enjoy the ride.

Quick Reply: the other day i heard"I'd never buy a lexus. Its just a rebadged Toyota."