Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

the other day i heard"I'd never buy a lexus. Its just a rebadged Toyota."

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-03, 05:05 AM
NRG
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when people ask me what car i drive, i always tell them Toyota Soarer GT 4.0
I just think the name lexus is overrated. Plus i dont want to sound all snobbie.

Lexus is just the name they use in America, to have an equal class of cars. Economy and Luxury.

ie: honda and acura, nissan and infinite, and toyota and lexus.

oh yea, i dunno why you even made a post to rant..
do you actually feel better that you drive a lexus compair to others?
you drive a poor man lexus LOL
ES300 = Ecomony Sport 3.0

to me, it really does look like a fancy toyota.

Last edited by NRG; 08-10-03 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-10-03, 05:34 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally posted by RON430
No one in the world screws a car together better than Toyota, no one. For me, it is one of the bigger reasons why I bought a Lexus. And yes, I find that response irritates the he** out of those who call a Lexus "just a Toyota".
This is the exact reason why I bought mine. We all have our reasons for driving high end Toyota's, but this is the main one.

A lot of other people do not consider that to be the main reason to buy a car. Prestige, name (snob appeal) brand are more powerful reasons to them. I say each to his/her own. If I were a millionaire would I still buy a GS? Yes - primarily because it is also emotional. However assuming I had excessive cash (to quote Rich Dad, Poor Dad author - Robert T. Kiyosaki), I would also buy cars such as an M5 which is not as well screwed together as a GS, or even a Ferrari 360 Modena. I think anyone who has excessive cash would have different priorities. I am sure reliability won't always be at the top of thier list of reasons for buying a car.

In the end, it does not matter what anyone else thinks or says - us enthusiasts buy cars for ourselves and for our enjoyment.

My response to anyone that says I drive just another Japanese car (some relatives of mine that drive MB's), I just smile and say, - "Yes, but at least I can drive it, unlike your car that spends a lot of time in the workshop". That usually shuts them right up! Unless they own a Porsche (which are very reliable), however Lexus does not have a car that is a direct competitor to a Porsche. (I personally don't think a Boxster is the 'real' deal).
Old 08-10-03, 08:19 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would respond back:

"Yeah, i know...it could be worse, I could be driving what you're driving! "
Old 08-10-03, 08:22 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally posted by GS4fun
i would respond back:

"Yeah, i know...it could be worse, I could be driving what you're driving! "
Old 08-10-03, 12:33 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

You know I don't know what impresses me more. The build quality on the Lexus or the build quality on the Toyota. They really don't build cars any different depending on the selling price. My MR2 and Supra were put together every bit as well as a Lexus.

But even more impressive is when I do some work on the car. I can take the inner door panels off, fool around with changing speakers and what not, put it back together, and it is just as solid and squeak free as it was to begin with. It is more than just assembly labor. Toyota knows how to begin with a design that will just work for a long time in the automotive environment and then put it together very well. Now unfortunately, a Cadillac is screwed together just as shoddy as most Chevies, what a shame. CTS V sounds like one impressive car but I am going to need a lot convincing to get one.
Old 03-29-08, 02:58 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Default the other day i heard"I'd never buy a lexus. Its just a rebadged Toyota."

the other day i heard one of the service advisors say "I'd never buy a lexus. Its just a rebadged Toyota...Why would you pay 40,000 for a Toyota?"

I work at a BMW dealership... I guess I am in the epicenter of where one would hear such comments. It irked me as the service guy continued on saying he'd recommend an Audi or of course the BMW.

I just silently said in my head: "Man. You must be really ugly or at least have low self esteem to think that what type of car you drive actually makes you look better."

also.. isnt audi also a higher end VW?
why would you pay $40,000 for a car that is widely used as a taxicab in EU?

My answer is: Because YOU f-in like it...nobody else matters..u aint out there to impress anyone but yourself. So if you want to get a bimmer or a lexus.. fine.

sorry.. had to vent. grrrrrr!
Old 03-29-08, 03:01 PM
okcfunky
Pole Position

Good rant, let it all out. You'll feel much better now

There's a near infinite amount you can say to someone as a rebuttal, but some people are just head strong.
Old 03-29-08, 03:27 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the first day i picked up my car and was showing my brother out side of work, some retarded old white guy drove up and said what is there to look at, it's just an overpriced toyota.

If it weren't for the safety of my brand new car, i would've said or done something much worst so i just replied, yea, it's a Toyota that you can't afford, now get lost.
Old 03-29-08, 03:39 PM
inwood
Lead Lap

One of my coworkers always comments that I wasted my money on an "over priced Toyota". She drives an 00 C230 Benz BTW. So during a company meeting she decides it would be funny to mention it again in front of everyone. I finally got fed up and said "I'd rather have an over priced Toyota over an overpriced Chrystler". She shut up real quick and I haven't heard any smart remarks from her since.
Old 03-29-08, 03:53 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by inwood
One of my coworkers always comments that I wasted my money on an "over priced Toyota". She drives an 00 C230 Benz BTW. So during a company meeting she decides it would be funny to mention it again in front of everyone. I finally got fed up and said "I'd rather have an over priced Toyota over an overpriced Chrystler". She shut up real quick and I haven't heard any smart remarks from her since.
hahaha

I myself has gotten a few " you bought a expensive re badged corolla" comments.

Last edited by ExTrEmE99; 03-29-08 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-29-08, 04:00 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by inwood
but she wasted her money on the lowest of the low benz

oh yea, and doesnt the landcruiser start >65k? you know, the toyota landcruiser, one of the most capable offroad machines in history, easily surpassing jeep and equaled only by (older) land rovers in its worldwide dominance?
Old 03-29-08, 05:12 PM
Q_Lexie
Driver

Some dude said that to me once at a mall. He said "look at that Toyota piece of ****. I pity them when they waste money on it." I looked at his car and it was a really really really old Civic, so I said "Thanks for your sympathy. But I love wasting money because I have so much unlike you. "
Old 03-29-08, 08:28 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by babyGS3
the other day i heard one of the service advisors say "I'd never buy a lexus. Its just a rebadged Toyota...Why would you pay 40,000 for a Toyota?"
Rebadged Toyota my a$$. Lexus has RWD in all of its vehicles. Does any Toyota cars except for the Supra have RWD? I dont think so. Higher end brands of cars all have RWD or AWD, not FWD like Toyota.
Old 03-29-08, 08:49 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1995LS400
Rebadged Toyota my a$$. Lexus has RWD in all of its vehicles. Does any Toyota cars except for the Supra have RWD? I dont think so. Higher end brands of cars all have RWD or AWD, not FWD like Toyota.
really, then whats the ES.....?
Old 03-29-08, 09:15 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should pointedly ask them exactly what model is being rebadged; because the ES is the only one that even comes close. And if one sits in both cars, they are VERY different from another. The IS, GS, SC, and RX either have no Toyota-version or (in the RX case), just share a chassis

Quick Reply: the other day i heard"I'd never buy a lexus. Its just a rebadged Toyota."