Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus over BMW because....

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-08, 07:32 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus over BMW because....

The interior is top notch in a Lexus where as BMW does not take the same care in my opinion. The leather in particular is completely different on these cars. I must say that is one issue that is holding me back from swapping my IS350 right away. I love the interior of my car. It holds its own versus all cars in its class.
Old 03-29-08, 07:34 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Interior has always been Lexus biggest advantage. But the new L-finessed models are a step backwards, IMO.
Old 03-29-08, 07:40 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

How does Audi or MB compare on interiors?
Old 03-29-08, 07:41 PM
LexFather

Well BMWs have never been known for their interiors. Since Lexus has come around and Audi got it together, those are usually the 2 highest ranked interiors overall. There are some cars in some brands that have great interiors as well but overall the brand is not there.

I am a HUGE fan of the old BMW interiors, outside the tons of buttons, I love the angled dashes and drivers positions and they feel ROCK solid.

Out of the new BMWs, I have to say the new 5 interior has grown on me a lot and seems very stylish. The rest of the lineup, to me, leaves a lot to be desired. Though it seems the MARKET will put up or likes the interiors, as BMWs have never sold better.

I have to remind myself this is the first generation of the BMW interiors that have been Bangled. I hope to better like the next generation of their interiors more.

Old 03-29-08, 07:44 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

If you're paying attention to the interior of a BMW, you're not driving it properly.
Old 03-29-08, 07:44 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

The only BMW interior I like is the 6-series' ...
Old 03-29-08, 07:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SilverBull
How does Audi or MB compare on interiors?
Audi is probably regarded the interior leader by the experts. From fit and finish to the quality of materials to choices to the design to ergonomics.

Mercedes scores well too and have made improvements in recent years but they have had issues with some material choices. Of course their top of the line AMG cars or 600 cars interiors are built incredibly.

Old 03-29-08, 08:20 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
If you're paying attention to the interior of a BMW, you're not driving it properly.
So true....... LOL
Old 03-29-08, 10:23 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

You can't say that Lexus interiors are better than BMW interiors across the board, it definitely depends on the model. Sure the LS460 has an incredible interior, but the ES's interiors have never been impressive, I'd say they're about the same as a 3-Series, interior wise
Old 03-29-08, 10:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by thetopdog
You can't say that Lexus interiors are better than BMW interiors across the board, it definitely depends on the model. Sure the LS460 has an incredible interior, but the ES's interiors have never been impressive, I'd say they're about the same as a 3-Series, interior wise
I would say the IS 300 was the black sheep of the Lexus interior family. ES interiors, IMO have always been impressive especially the last gen

Old 03-29-08, 10:30 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Well, when your BMW is stopped you can notice what it looks like. The leather in the 3 series doesn't look too sharp for a $48k dollar car. That much I know. IF the car were cheaper I would say, "yea, the car drives great so who cares about the inside." Except that the top 3 series cost a little less than 50k with all options. That is quite a bit different than top end ISX50.
Old 03-29-08, 10:32 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I would say the IS 300 was the black sheep of the Lexus interior family. ES interiors, IMO have always been impressive especially the last gen

It looks good in that pic but when I was given a ride by the dealership when I was getting my GS serviced (Lexus service is incredible by the way), the ES350 I was driven in had a very disappointing interior. The wood looked extremely fake and it was really nothing special. The old ES300 interiors were terrible too, my friend's ES300 interior looked almost exactly like my mom's 2001 Camry LE
Old 03-29-08, 11:03 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Totally different class, but the leather in the BMW M5 was one of the best I've every sat in. So supple and soft. I was very impressed. Obviously it is not the same leather as in the 3 series, but there are so many different leather lines available in BMWs some of them are average and okay, while others are really nice.
Old 03-29-08, 11:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by thetopdog
It looks good in that pic but when I was given a ride by the dealership when I was getting my GS serviced (Lexus service is incredible by the way), the ES350 I was driven in had a very disappointing interior. The wood looked extremely fake and it was really nothing special. The old ES300 interiors were terrible too, my friend's ES300 interior looked almost exactly like my mom's 2001 Camry LE
That is the last gen. Many of us agree the current ES 350 interior is a slight step back.

I think for its time, the ES in 2001 and in years before that had a well built, ergonomic interior that was very good for the price. Most magazine reviews seem to agree.

However I can see where you are coming from.

Old 03-30-08, 03:48 PM
nn432100
Lead Lap

because...your not trying to make up for a lack of something.

Quick Reply: Lexus over BMW because....