Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW's take on Lexus GS - Local BMW dealer sighting

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-08, 06:46 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default BMW's take on Lexus GS - Local BMW dealer sighting

So I went to the bmw dealer for service and looky what I saw on the wall and of course i had to take a pic of this

"No other maintenance programs come close" eh...

consider how much lexus dealer charges for oil changes, there is a bit of a truth in it

*if you didn't see it from up close, you would think that's how they rank each car with Lexus on TOP
Old 03-30-08, 06:49 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but the fine print reads **BMW RIP over 50,000 miles**
Old 03-30-08, 07:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I was very tempted by this when I was shopping for new cars and considering a 335. Pretty cool. Best way to compete with the japanese
Old 03-30-08, 10:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it's pretty darn true though. one great reason to lease a bmw is that you paid for all the maintenance already. keyword, lease. after lease and warranty, that's another story
Old 03-30-08, 10:32 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's some truth in that. That's why you lease a BMW for 4 years :P hahaha.

I mean, it covers wear and tear? so you can drive like you stole it and the brake pads get replaced for free?
Old 03-30-08, 10:37 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ yes

however, in defense of bmw, I sold my old e46 when it reached almost 95k miles and the only major repair was my coolant resevoir cracked due to high heat in AZ. Otherwise, that car has been trouble free..
Old 03-31-08, 04:35 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If they are just going to compare prices, what happens when they add $2116 to the price of a Lexus GS and BMW 5 series that are equiped as close as possible? If I added $2116 to the MSRP of my IS250AWD, I still wouldn't have enough money to buy a 328xi at MSRP that was comparably equiped.
Old 03-31-08, 05:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by tex2670
If they are just going to compare prices, what happens when they add $2116 to the price of a Lexus GS and BMW 5 series that are equiped as close as possible? If I added $2116 to the MSRP of my IS250AWD, I still wouldn't have enough money to buy a 328xi at MSRP that was comparably equiped.
Very good point. Its not like the 5 costs as much or less than the GS AND you have free maintenance. The 5 costs substantially more MSRP wise.

I still like the ad, very clever on BMWs part, I always have liked their marketing. It also shows the 2 threats they see, the E and GS.

Old 03-31-08, 06:03 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Its just a marketing plot, nothing is life in free. All BMW did was add the maintence cost onto the price of the car. It is nothing more than a forced option in my opinion. You can buy pre-paid maintenance plan for Lexus as well and still come out thousands cheaper than a BMW 5 series, but I dont see too many owners here buying the maintenance plan.
Old 03-31-08, 06:14 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Very good point. Its not like the 5 costs as much or less than the GS AND you have free maintenance. The 5 costs substantially more MSRP wise.

I still like the ad, very clever on BMWs part, I always have liked their marketing. It also shows the 2 threats they see, the E and GS.
Yeah, but you could actually lease a 5 series for less than what you would lease the GS for... and get free maintenance.
Old 03-31-08, 07:12 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by whlkev
*if you didn't see it from up close, you would think that's how they rank each car with Lexus on TOP
That's EXACTLY how I interpreted it at first glance, until reading the fine print. I disagree with 1SickLex--this is STUPID marketing, put out by an undergrad-level advertising guy who doesn't realize you have to consider all the angles and ways people can look at what you produce. The visuals on this ad are the dominant factor, not the text, and people have been trained to read graphs from left to right, and that generally higher means better.

BIG mistake. Then, as others have pointed out, even reading the fine print will only appeal to the most simplistic of thinkers. Someone who is swayed by the free maintenance but who doesn't consider the overall cost of ownership in comparison to the feature set, styling, reliability, comfort, and myriad other factors deserves what they get.
Old 03-31-08, 07:15 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

My favorite one is-- "we have free coffee too, the difference is you won't choke on it when you see the service bill."
Old 03-31-08, 07:18 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea but you probably paid more than $2116 for the equivalent vehicle. Most car dealers give you free oil changes (BMW maintainence is more than this obviously) so that lessens the incentive. I got 2 years worth of oil changes buying my car new. Which is 6 oil changes and not two BMW oil changes (15k interval)
Old 03-31-08, 07:19 AM
kit cat

you should see the other ad they have with the coffee cup.
Old 03-31-08, 07:19 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by STIG
My favorite one is-- "we have free coffee too, the difference is you won't choke on it when you see the service bill."
d'oh, you beat me to it.

Quick Reply: BMW's take on Lexus GS - Local BMW dealer sighting