Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Leno fears Top Gear USA may suck

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-08, 04:26 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there are no car sponsors, they can rip the cars apart

But I do agree with what Leno has said, but with Adam Carolla doing it, I think he will tell it as it is
Old 03-31-08, 04:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow leno brought up some damn good points, and i thin he's right on the money
Old 03-31-08, 05:10 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

There is no need to fear of something that has not been made.
Old 03-31-08, 06:07 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone buy Jay Leno a beer!
Thanks Jay.
Old 03-31-08, 09:11 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Maybe they should just not have car sponsers or give them a warning that they are going to be brutally honest about their product and there is a good chance it will be critisized, if they can't deal with it then don't bother sponsering the show. I don't really see how a show like that would cost too much money since the people they put on the show are enthusiasts and would just love doing the show and probrably would not need a huge paycheck like they would on a comedy show/sitcom/or movie where it is their main form of income and usaully harder work. They are more or less driving cars and rating them and being somewhat entertaining during the process which I don't think requires a ton of money to do where sponsers would be in dire need. Leno and Seinfeld have a ton of money and I doubt they would require a super high salary for doing the show as it would be something they really have fun doing and rather do then acting. Adam Corrola is not high enough on the ladder to demand a high salary(I am watching The Man Show on DVD and I love Kimmel and Corrola together, they are really funny and entertaining). I still say a Top Gear USA could be done and even have Clarkson be one of the stars of the show or come guest host every once in a while or do some kind of interactive thing between Britian and the US during a segment.
Old 03-31-08, 09:12 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Never liked this idea one bit from the beginning for the same reasons Leno says so. So spot on.
Old 04-02-08, 10:27 AM
TruthTellr
Rookie

Adam Corrola's a racist and he ain't funny. But American audience will love it. I can already hear Ricers in his every sentences with chinese music in the background whenever a japanese car is featured.
Old 04-02-08, 11:01 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Leno is the freaking man. He is so on, I all smell EPIC fail.

They have 2 choices. Clone Clarkson or hire me and Mmarshall.
First, I don't find the BBC Top Gear to be quite as entertaining as others here. But the concept is pretty interesting. I vote for Kimmel, Johnny Knoxville, and Penn Jellete. It would be entertaining if nothing else to see how many emergency rooms they can get Knoxville into in a season.
Old 04-05-08, 12:53 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Leno is the freaking man. He is so on, I all smell EPIC fail.

They have 2 choices. Clone Clarkson or hire me and Mmarshall.
Who gets to be the Hamster?
Old 04-05-08, 01:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jaydunn
Who gets to be the Hamster?
bitkahuna said he wants in, so he's the Hamster though he's quite tall

We shall call him, "Damnster"

Old 04-05-08, 04:05 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How come car magazines can rip into cars and still have car sponsors, but TV shows can't?
Old 04-05-08, 04:58 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

I said on The Tonight Show recently that the new Kia was available with a heated rear window, so if people needed to push it in winter they could keep their hands warm.
LOL im gonna use that one
Old 04-05-08, 05:32 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by knihc2008
How come car magazines can rip into cars and still have car sponsors, but TV shows can't?
Good point. ALL car companies advertise in car mags. Yet all car mags criticize the very cars being advertised.

Either way, America needs a primetime car show but we should call it something else. Why have we never had a car show primetime??
There are 10's of millions of us that would die to have one but the stupid networks have yet to make one.

Oh, but they make 100's of crappy reality drama shows that are all the same.
Old 04-05-08, 06:45 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Good point. ALL car companies advertise in car mags. Yet all car mags criticize the very cars being advertised.

Either way, America needs a primetime car show but we should call it something else. Why have we never had a car show primetime??
There are 10's of millions of us that would die to have one but the stupid networks have yet to make one.

Oh, but they make 100's of crappy reality drama shows that are all the same.
Excellent point.
Old 04-05-08, 09:17 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Because in print media, generally the advertising doesn't directly pay for the production of the magazine or pay directly pay for the article. It brings in money for the print company as a whole, and that in turn pays the salaries and bills. Just like a commercial on TV. TV commercials if they are local goes to the TV station, and not the individual shows that they air. When you sponsor a particular show though, you are putting up money for production costs to produce that particular show. Often certain types of TV shows don't have a large enough budget to produce and put a show on air without someone sponsoring a lot of money for them to produce the show. If you rip the sponsor, why would he want to continue to pay you? Advertising in a magazine or TV is different from sponsoring. It would be the same thing if APC sponsored someones show car and that person put all the APC parts on his car, then told everyone at the shows how APC parts suck and showed them all the flawed parts on his car. I would think APC would pull the sponsorship from that guy.