Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan Murano Break down...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-08, 03:23 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain, I currently drive a Nissan, 03 350Z, compared to the Toyota and Honda's I drove in the 90's and my 00 Lexus, the quality just doesn't compare.

Something about transmissions on Nissans, I'm on #2 on the Z. But other things too, the sheet metal is so thin, the paint can't compare to the old 90's paint or even the Lexus paint job I had, the interior is kinda cheap too. The thing that gets me is every single 350Z had this annoying rattle in the drivetrain under 2k RPM, Nissan tried to fix it with a dual mass flywheel, but it doesn't help.

If Lexus could just come out with a sporty car WITH A STICK SHIFT, they would have my business again.
Old 04-05-08, 04:59 PM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To give everyone an update, I did call Nissan consummer affairs, they were very polite on the phone, but in the end of no help.
Heres the quick run down, I'm going to take some pics in the next day or so to show what it looks like.
The end result was a trans line... a few months ago I replaced the original battery, at about 30k...it was leaking everywhere...When I talked to Nissan headquarters about the latest problem, they said it looked like all of the recalls were taken care of when I had them service the car around 20k...? I asked what recalls? I had no idea, I was in for an oil change...They said they fixed the tank sheild ...and the ALTERNATOR...What?! So long story short it looks like the alternators were bad , that's why the battery blew up, and that is ultimatly why I needed a trans line.
There is some sort of cut off when the trans fluid gets low so you don't blow it up., Non of the mechanics could tell me anything about it, but they fixed the line ( looked like a $2 part, and filled the trans with fluid. $500. I would have normally done it myself, but it was raining and I thought it would have been covered, so by the time it was at the dealer, I figured just fix the thing.
I'm sure this isn't the last of this problem. You should see under the battery, almost all the lines have some sort of mark from the acid...
Well anyway, thanks for the post about Nissan Consumer affairs. I was at least able to talk to someone who walked upright.
Old 04-05-08, 05:22 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

My company offers the VPP program to me if I want to buy a Nissan or Infiniti. I have never used it, but have thought about it.

After reading this post and all of the feedback, it is now out of the question.

Good luck, *****
Old 04-05-08, 05:42 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
My company offers the VPP program to me if I want to buy a Nissan or Infiniti. I have never used it, but have thought about it.

After reading this post and all of the feedback, it is now out of the question.

Good luck, *****
You read a thread about an INDIVIDUAL having trouble with a Nissan vehicle and attribute the whole company as being bad I've had 3 toyotas, 2 Nissans, an Infiniti, a Lexus, and a Honda. My Maxima and G35 have been as reliable as the Lexus and more reliable than all of my toyotas and hondas (including a couple Camrys, Civics, and Supra).

Look at the initial quality and reliability reports coming out on Infiniti and they are a good company. Drive a couple of the Infiniti and Nissans and they are EASILY the sportiest and most involving of the Japanese brands.
Old 04-07-08, 04:51 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
You read a thread about an INDIVIDUAL having trouble with a Nissan vehicle and attribute the whole company as being bad I've had 3 toyotas, 2 Nissans, an Infiniti, a Lexus, and a Honda. My Maxima and G35 have been as reliable as the Lexus and more reliable than all of my toyotas and hondas (including a couple Camrys, Civics, and Supra).

Look at the initial quality and reliability reports coming out on Infiniti and they are a good company. Drive a couple of the Infiniti and Nissans and they are EASILY the sportiest and most involving of the Japanese brands.
I think your missing the point. My problem wasn;t the car breaking down. My issue was with the way Nissan Reps falled to back up the product.
Service is what this entire thing is about.
Old 04-07-08, 07:00 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, exactly. I do like the cars. But, if the service is poor, I can take my business elsewhere.
Old 04-07-08, 07:26 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Big *****
I think your missing the point. My problem wasn;t the car breaking down. My issue was with the way Nissan Reps falled to back up the product.
Service is what this entire thing is about.
I find this type of behavior in all manufacturers...even Toyota. I think you've had bad luck so far and I would also be angry if I were in your shoes but you'll find that Infiniti has different service reps than Nissan and are generally better (as with Lexus over Toyota).

By the way, the worst treatment I ever got was from a Toyota dealership..the salesman actually cussed me out when I requested a different sales person because he was getting rude... I ended up with a Honda for that purchase cycle (my first and only)... My point is that not all Toyota dealerships are like that and not all Nissan dealerships are bad. Its very dealership specific and even though Nissan's overall rep isn't as good as Toyotas, they do have good dealerships out there.