Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Solara may be around for a 3rd Gen

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-08, 09:05 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Solara may be around for a 3rd Gen

http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.p...er=asc&start=0

Originally Posted by PhreakdOut
OK ... on rare occasions I have been wrong. It's usually for a very good reason though. When I originally posted up about the Death of the Solara, I thought I was absolutely correct.

As a supplier to Toyota, I would get APV information (Annual Planning Volume) that would show production forecasts by manufacturing plant. I would also be involved in future projects.

When I received the APV for 2008, the TMMK (Georgetown, KY) plant #2 showed that the volumes for Solara dropping to zero and the "Ace" (now named Venza) starting production in August 2008.

I immediately called the buyer at Toyota and asked if TMMK was going to discontinue the Solara. My second thought was that it would move to another plant. (Like they did to the first Gen Solara going from TMMC - Canada to TMMK) He said there were no plans to make the Solara here in North America.

What I didn't hear was " ... here in North America." Because the Solara was dropping in volume so much, it made more sense to move production to Japan and import the car. This frees up precious manufacturing lines to make higher volume cars like the boring Venza.

Yes, you heard me right.

This morning I got a note from the same buyer. (Sent from his personal email) No pictures of the Gen 3 have been released. No press releases, nothing. There's been so much hype about the death of the Solara, that Toyota decided to let the rumors cover up the project.

A prototype car had been sent to the Toyota Technical Center in Ann Arbor for emissions testing and certification. One of his coworkers was up for a supplier launch meeting on the Venza when he caught sight of prototype Gen3 Solara at a local gas station. (The car had most of its camoflauge removed) So my friend got these camera pics. Sorry they are very bad but this guy did not want to be seen taking photos since he is a Toyota employee.

Good News and Bad News: (This is what information the buyer could get through his connections at TTC in Toyota City, Japan)

Good News first:

The Gen3 Solara is to be made in the a new Kanto Works plant in Sagamihara, Japan. (Near Tokyo)

Engine: 3.5L V-6 (Supposedly rated over 287Hp - not finalized yet) FWD of course. No 4cyl option anymore.

Transmission: A six speed manual is in the works but will launch 6 months after the 6spd AT with paddle shifters.

According to him, the options are very limited to keep inventory down. Only a SLE model will be available.

Other Features standard on all Solaras:
- Dual Exhaust
- LED Headlights in a round bulb like shape. (Like Infiniti's?)
- Push button start with remote start in the key FOB
- Heated front and rear seats (Driver's seat has cooling function)
- 6 disc changer with Navigation (Previously 4 disc)
- LED Gauge cluster and LED interior lighting.
- 18" wheels standard (3 variations w/ 1 by in a TRD version made by Enkei)
- TRD has a prototype vehicle at their Torrance, CA facility for development of "enthusiast" parts.

The Bad News : (I can hear the groaning already)The 2 door market is deemed to be dead to Toyota. The Gen3 Solara will be a 4 door that will compete with the Altima. (Except more upscale and more performance oriented.)

So no more convertibles.
Old 03-31-08, 09:08 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Aurion Coupe would make one hell of a Solara.

Photoshopped 2-door Aurion

Last edited by GFerg; 03-31-08 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-31-08, 09:09 PM
Perfection
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pictures in the link look like a Hyundai Genesis.
Old 03-31-08, 09:11 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car in the pictures is the Hynudai Genesis, and I think this a pipedream.

The Solara is confirmed dead in July, that's it. I suppose that there is a chance of it coming back sometime, but a 290HP FWD 6MT luxury four door coupe?

Come on. That will never happen 1) because this is Toyota and 2) because of Lexus.

Best thing we can hope for is a Supra successor to replace the Solara.
Old 03-31-08, 09:23 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A 4-Door Solara makes absolutely no sense at all. Isn't the Solara a 2-Door Camry? It was release in the beginning as a Camry Solara. If you build a 4-Door Solara you simply have a Camry.

PS. If the Coupe truly is dead to Toyota say goodbye to any new Celica or Supra.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 03-31-08 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-31-08, 09:30 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Aurion coupe^^ is pretty good
Old 03-31-08, 09:36 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with MP, it's the Hyundai in those pics
Old 03-31-08, 09:40 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 Door Solara is a Camry
Old 03-31-08, 09:45 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The PS'd Aurion looks pretty good!

Hmm... only thing I can think of (esp. looking at the list of features even if they are preliminary), is that Toyota is thinking of or targeting the Passat CC.
Old 03-31-08, 10:04 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Solara needs to stay as a touring 2-door convertible.

Although not sporty, it does fulfill a niche for a roomy and semi-luxurious ride for the whole family with suntan potential...
Old 03-31-08, 10:13 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

It's 1 am here in NY and I am tired but those pictures on that link look like either a Hyundai Genesis or I must be be really tired. Doesn't the Camry SE already make some competition for the Altima though?
Old 03-31-08, 11:03 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I do wish they bring back the Solara...
Old 03-31-08, 11:14 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
I do wish they bring back the Solara...
It hasn't left yet...
Old 03-31-08, 11:19 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know that, but it's been strongly rumored as axed for a while now. The new Camry has been out for nearly two years and there's no sign of a new Solara to pair with it.

Maybe they are going with the SC 430 approach and letting the convertible/coupe model cycle go a lot longer...
Old 03-31-08, 11:32 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

As a previous o Gen1 Solara owner, I think this coupe market although dead I had a very rare 5spd Manual Solara SE V6, with leather interior. I actually disliked the 2nd Gen Solara. I did like some of the features and improvements but the outside styling is . Also for the Solara being a "sporty" coupe, deleting the manual option with the V6 offering Although i'm not going to be in the 2 door fwd coupe market anytime soon, it would be nice to see a true qualified Camry 2 door to go against the ranks of the very successful Accord Coupe. Altima coupe...is not really a formidable contender in that segment in my eyes. It's just fugly. I think Toyota should dump the Solara name (something I never really liked...always mispronounced as "So-LAIR-uh") and call it the Camry Coupe again. These double named cars sound pretty annoying. I know it's to capture more sales for that particular model, but I like simplicity. Imagine if Honda called the Accord Coupe, the Accord Plurimus Candidus or some silly latin term after it.

Last edited by flipside909; 03-31-08 at 11:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Solara may be around for a 3rd Gen