Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

March 2008 Vehicles Sales

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 02:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
the dsr is the right way to look at this data. Raw numbers mean little...how many are you selling every day you are open is more indicative of true sales. That's why 10K can be .2%
Not sure I agree. Demand is demand and the calendar period was the same I think - just because there's another Sunday (closed) in the period shouldn't really mean there were less buyers should it? Why wouldn't there just be a bit more of a spike on Monday? The only answer I can think of is they went elsewhere.
Old 04-03-08, 07:51 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default March 2008 Incentives

http://www.autoobserver.com/2008/04/...ives-to-r.html

Incentives to Rise Through the Spring and Summer, Reports Edmunds.com

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — The average automaker incentive was largely unchanged in March compared with February, but incentives generally are likely to rise for the next several months as automakers try to break the sales slump, Edmunds.com predicts.

"Incentives are likely to rise through the spring and summer," said Jesse Toprak, executive director of Industry Analysis for Edmunds.com. “We anticipate that this will be especially true for the European automakers, as long as the euro remains strong.”

Edmunds.com estimates the average automotive manufacturer incentive in the U.S. was $2,519 per vehicle sold in March, essentially unchanged from February but up $94, or 3.9 percent, from March 2007.

Edmunds.com's monthly True Cost of Incentives (TCI) report takes into account all automakers' various U.S. incentives programs, including subvented interest rates and lease programs, as well as cash rebates to consumers and dealers. To ensure the greatest possible accuracy, Edmunds.com bases its calculations on sales volume, including the mix of vehicle makes and models for each month, as well as on the proportion of vehicles for which each type of incentive was used.

Edmunds.com estimates the combined incentives spending for domestic manufacturers averaged $3,424 per vehicle sold in March, up from $3,384 in February.
From February to March,
European automakers increased incentives spending by $236 to $3,067 per vehicle sold;
Japanese automakers decreased incentives spending by $73 to $1,295 per vehicle sold; and
Korean automakers increased incentives spending by $352 to $2,126 per vehicle sold.

In March the industry's aggregate incentive spending is estimated to have totaled approximately $3.34 billion, up 13.6 percent from February 2008. Chrysler, Ford and General Motors spent an aggregate of $2.3 billion, or 67.7 percent of the total; Japanese manufacturers spent $658 million, or 19.7 percent; European manufacturers spent $290 million, or 8.7 percent; and Korean manufacturers spent $130 million, or 3.9 percent.

Chrysler pulled up the industry average incentives spend in March. The investment in incentives seems aimed at jump-starting sales to improve the company’s bottom-line numbers. This coincides with its recent announcement of a two-week summer shutdown, Monday's revelation that Chrysler will give some salaried retirees lump-sum payments instead of paying for their life insurance, and other drastic measures to reduce operating expenses.

Among vehicle segments, large trucks had the highest average incentives, $4,368 per vehicle sold, followed by large SUVs at $4,094. Compact cars had the lowest average incentives per vehicle sold, $1,023, followed by sport cars at $1,574.

Analysis of incentives expenditures as a percentage of average sticker price for each segment shows large trucks averaged the highest, 13.6 percent, followed by large cars at 13.1 percent of sticker price. Sports cars averaged the lowest, 5.3 percent, followed by luxury sport cars at 5.7 percent of sticker price.

Comparing all brands, trends from the past year continued: BMW's Mini spent the least — virtually nothing — followed by Scion at $131 per vehicle sold. At the other end of the spectrum, Cadillac spent the most, $5,532, followed by Saab at $5,501 per vehicle sold. Relative to their vehicle prices, Dodge spent the most, 16.7 percent and Saab followed in at 15.3; Mini spent virtually nothing and Scion spent just 0.8 percent.

Honda and Toyota, by far had the lowest incentives in the industry, with Toyota having the lowest out of all major automakers. I wonder if those low incentives had a part to play in Toyota's drop in sales given the economic conditions.

Hyundai and Nissan are also spending quite a bit in terms of incentives.
Old 04-04-08, 03:58 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow April Incentives

AutoMakers to Offer Heavy Incentives in April
After a down month for almost the entire auto industry, automakers are looking to rebound during the month of April by offering heavy incentives. Chrysler was the first to announce that it would be offering special incentives for during the month of April, and now Ford and General Motors have announced that they will be following suit.

Interestingly enough, Ford will actually be extending some of its incentives to specialty models — a practice not common in the auto industry. The special edition Ford Mustang Bullitt — which adds a sportier suspension and engine upgrades to the standard GT model — can be had with up to $2,500 cash back. That means that the $3,310 Bullitt option will only cost buyers $810.

The special edition 2008 Ford F-150 Chip Foose Edition — which will hit Ford dealerships later this month — will also be included in the April deals. The sport truck has a price tag of about $55,000, but Ford will offer incentives on the truck that could total up to $4,500.

Every Ford vehicle will have at least $500 knocked off of its price tag during the month of April — with most cars seeing incentives in the $1,000 to $2,000 range — with the Expidition seeing the largest incentives, up to $5,000.

GM will offer similar incentives on its vehicles, but will also offer 2.9 percent financing for up to 36 months. The cash incentives will be available of Chevrolet, GMC, Buick and Pontiac vehicles and will range between $1,500 and $3,250. Some of the largest incentives will be placed on GM's full-size trucks, whose sales have been hurts by rising gas prices and a general economic downturn.

Old 04-04-08, 08:02 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Arrow Hybrids

High Gas Prices Keep Hybrid Demand Strong
Despite a slumping economy, sales of hybrid vehicles — which are typically a few thousand dollars more than their non-hybrid counterparts — are on the rise. And with gas prices continually on the rise, it doesn't appear as though hybrid sales will slow down anytime soon.

According to Toyota, the Japanese automaker only has about a 25-day supply of Prius hybrid vehicles in inventory. 60 days is considered a normal inventory with 30 days being on the thin side. According to Cars.com, Toyota sold 180,000 Prius hybrids in 2007 and plans to top that number in 2008.

Inventory of Toyota's Highlander Hybrid is even lower, thanks to strong demand and a planned production run of only about 24,000 units.

Honda is also seeing a similar spike in demand for its Civic Hybrid. Civic Hybrid sales have climbed 14 percent this year — when compared to the same time period last year — and sales shot up 44 percent in March.

Ford spokesman Jim Cain told Cars.com that the company's Escape Hybrid is selling extremely well. In fact, Cain says Ford dealers can sell every Escape Hybrid built, but Ford's capacity is actually being limited by the number of hybrid systems the automaker can get from suppliers.

Saturn, on the other hand, is struggling somewhat in the hybrid market. The brand released its Vue Hybrid in 2007, but General Motors had to recall it last month due to some battery issues (they weren't properly holding a charge). Later this year, Saturn will release its Vue two-mode hybrid — which gets 23 percent better fuel economy than the standard BAS Vue Hybrid — which should help bolster Saturn's hybrid image.

Even as government tax credits on hybrids run out — credits are only given on the first 60,000 hybrids a marque sells — it seems that rising gas prices will continue to fuel hybrid sales.

Old 04-04-08, 09:41 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
http://www.autoobserver.com/2008/04/incentives-to-r.html

European automakers increased incentives spending by $236 to $3,067 per vehicle sold;
Japanese automakers decreased incentives spending by $73 to $1,295 per vehicle sold; and
Korean automakers increased incentives spending by $352 to $2,126 per vehicle

Honda and Toyota, by far had the lowest incentives in the industry, with Toyota having the lowest out of all major automakers. I wonder if those low incentives had a part to play in Toyota's drop in sales given the economic conditions.

Per vehicle dollar incentive is not a good indication of true incentives - % of MSRP would be a much better indication. For instance European's have a much higher $ in terms of incentives and yet their cars also cost considerably more. 0% on a $20,000 car over 36 months costs the car company about $1,900 in interest (assuming 6% normal interest). 3.9% over four years on a $75,000 car costs a car company about $5,088 in interest vs say a 7% loan over four years.
So for the $20,000 car that's 9.5% of the car's price in incentives
And for the $75,000 car that's 6.8% of the car's price in incentives

But the $5,088 in incentives sure sounds a lot worse doesn't it?

(someone check my math if you will, they are staining the office next door and well, who knows...)
Old 04-05-08, 12:27 PM
rai
Lead Lap

I would like to point out again, the M3 is not just an engine upgrade to the 333i. That would be like a 535 to 550 or 328 to 335. But the M3 way more than an engine upgrade.

But people that say just chip a 335i and you get the same power are missing the whole point.

You don't get the LSD, wheels, brakes, suspension interior and exterior upgrade with just a chip.

my point mmarshall is if you test a car and you say how it goes around a corner (etc.) that does not say anything about how the engine is at the top 1/3 of the rev range. I understand you can't rag on a car during a test drive, but any mention of a M3 without having driven it in the 5000 to 8000 rev range does not tell us the essence of the car and engine.

As well, you have condemed the M3 without even have driven one. I mean you already said the 335i is just as good or nearly as good, but I don't know if you have even seen a M3?

The M3 has a totally difference presence and has higher performance than a 335i. People mod a car to improve this or that. But the M3 is tunned by BMW.

If anyone is not interested in higher performance in the car then the 335 is the way to go. But just to say a chip can equal the M3 is niave in the extreme.
Old 04-05-08, 01:26 PM
LexFather

Jeez, Euros need to just adjust pricing and make it lower instead of contiuing with huge incentives.

Honestly, you take incentives out and low lease deals for BMW and I truly wonder how much they would TRULY sell.

Thanks for posting that. I can't believe Toyota incentives are down under a grand, especially compared to everyone else.

Old 04-07-08, 05:35 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Jeez, Euros need to just adjust pricing and make it lower instead of contiuing with huge incentives.

Honestly, you take incentives out and low lease deals for BMW and I truly wonder how much they would TRULY sell.

Thanks for posting that. I can't believe Toyota incentives are down under a grand, especially compared to everyone else.
Pretty easy to find out about bimmers. At least on my screens all I have to is click on the "Compare to BMW" link on this site to be sent to a bayarea BMW screen to read about BMW goodness. Very open minded of CL.
Old 04-10-08, 01:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

If they could produce enough Corolla's, there wouldnt be any drop... Toyota is well positioned with all the small cars they have, including Scions.

It would be funny to see what all those so-called journalists though of Scion sales this month :-)
Old 04-12-08, 02:58 PM
LexFather

Below is why its hard for me to be supportive of their increase in sales. The EX has been out not even 3 full months and they have incentives galore. Just price the vehicle lower or maybe this is NOT what the market wants.

lol, Infiniti EX has 2,000 cash back already if you buy.

Marketing Support
$2000 Cash to Dealer start: 04/01/2008 end: 06/30/2008 Get Dealer Pricing
Restrictions Dealer Cash may not be combined with leases.
Comments Dealer participation may vary. Incentives and Rebates are provided subject to the terms of our

Saw this over at roadfly.com today.

Infiniti Financial Services Lease Programs – April 2008

Listed below are the current manufacturer (captive) lease programs.

Special bank lease programs for these models are available through independent leasing source LeaseCompare.com. Click on the vehicle name for more information and to see payments details.

2008 Infiniti EX35 2WD – 4/6/08
24 Month – Residual 67% of MSRP – .00025 Base Rate
36 Month – Residual 56% of MSRP – .00064 Base Rate
48 Month – Residual 46% of MSRP – .00156 Base Rate
60 Month – Residual 34% of MSRP – .00194 Base Rate

2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey 2WD – 4/6/08
24 Month – Residual 63% of MSRP – .00025 Base Rate
36 Month – Residual 52% of MSRP – .00064 Base Rate
48 Month – Residual 43% of MSRP – .00156 Base Rate
60 Month – Residual 32% of MSRP – .00194 Base Rate

2008 Infiniti EX35 AWD – 4/6/08
24 Month – Residual 69% of MSRP – .00049 Base Rate
36 Month – Residual 57% of MSRP – .00101 Base Rate
48 Month – Residual 47% of MSRP – .00171 Base Rate
60 Month – Residual 35% of MSRP – .00194 Base Rate

2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD – 4/6/08
24 Month – Residual 64% of MSRP – .00049 Base Rate
36 Month – Residual 54% of MSRP – .00101 Base Rate
48 Month – Residual 44% of MSRP – .00171 Base Rate
60 Month – Residual 33% of MSRP – .00194 Base Rate

Residuals posted are for 15K miles/year. Add 2% to Residual for 12k mi/yr and 3% for 10k mi/yr on all terms

Use the following formula to calculate a lease payment:

(Cap Cost – Residual Value) / Term = Depreciation
(Cap Cost + Residual Value) X Money Factor = Interest
Depreciation + Interest = Base Monthly Payment

Old 04-12-08, 06:38 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Below is why its hard for me to be supportive of their increase in sales. The EX has been out not even 3 full months and they have incentives galore. Just price the vehicle lower or maybe this is NOT what the market wants.

lol, Infiniti EX has 2,000 cash back already if you buy.

Marketing Support
$2000 Cash to Dealer start: 04/01/2008 end: 06/30/2008 Get Dealer Pricing
Restrictions Dealer Cash may not be combined with leases.
Comments Dealer participation may vary. Incentives and Rebates are provided subject to the terms of our

Saw this over at roadfly.com today.

Infiniti Financial Services Lease Programs – April 2008

Listed below are the current manufacturer (captive) lease programs.

Special bank lease programs for these models are available through independent leasing source LeaseCompare.com. Click on the vehicle name for more information and to see payments details.

2008 Infiniti EX35 2WD – 4/6/08
24 Month – Residual 67% of MSRP – .00025 Base Rate
36 Month – Residual 56% of MSRP – .00064 Base Rate
48 Month – Residual 46% of MSRP – .00156 Base Rate
60 Month – Residual 34% of MSRP – .00194 Base Rate

2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey 2WD – 4/6/08
24 Month – Residual 63% of MSRP – .00025 Base Rate
36 Month – Residual 52% of MSRP – .00064 Base Rate
48 Month – Residual 43% of MSRP – .00156 Base Rate
60 Month – Residual 32% of MSRP – .00194 Base Rate

2008 Infiniti EX35 AWD – 4/6/08
24 Month – Residual 69% of MSRP – .00049 Base Rate
36 Month – Residual 57% of MSRP – .00101 Base Rate
48 Month – Residual 47% of MSRP – .00171 Base Rate
60 Month – Residual 35% of MSRP – .00194 Base Rate

2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD – 4/6/08
24 Month – Residual 64% of MSRP – .00049 Base Rate
36 Month – Residual 54% of MSRP – .00101 Base Rate
48 Month – Residual 44% of MSRP – .00171 Base Rate
60 Month – Residual 33% of MSRP – .00194 Base Rate

Residuals posted are for 15K miles/year. Add 2% to Residual for 12k mi/yr and 3% for 10k mi/yr on all terms

Use the following formula to calculate a lease payment:

(Cap Cost – Residual Value) / Term = Depreciation
(Cap Cost + Residual Value) X Money Factor = Interest
Depreciation + Interest = Base Monthly Payment

If you havent noticed, BMW is the same way as well with their new cars. Doesnt make the brand bad. And FYI, Infiniti won the ALG award for highest residual value for a luxury brand. Only BMW, MB or Lexus have won that award in the past
Old 04-12-08, 06:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
If you havent noticed, BMW is the same way as well with their new cars. Doesnt make the brand bad. And FYI, Infiniti won the ALG award for highest residual value for a luxury brand. Only BMW, MB or Lexus have won that award in the past
I agree. I've stated before I truly wonder how well BMWs would sell is they adjusted their pricing and didn't have lease rates that made them nearly readily available to anyone.

What is their TRUE selling number. BMW HQ is still concerned with how they sell cars.

Old 04-29-08, 11:28 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Lightbulb Honda Accord

Honda Accord: Best Selling Vehicle in March 2008; Outsells Malibu & Camry
Posted on: April 29th, 2008

While everyone is talking up the Chevrolet Malibu sales beating Toyota’s Camry and Nissan’s Altima, Honda’s Accord is quitely taking over the mid-size sedan segment. According to an Edmunds analysis, the new 2008 Honda Accord was not only the best-selling car in America in March but also the best-selling vehicle.

Honda sold 36,161 Accords in March out selling the Camry by 4,851 units and the Malibu by 21,414 units. It also outsold the usual top-place vehicles like the Ford F-150 and the Chevrolet Silverado 15000.

Without many incentives the 2008 Accord is finally catching on with U.S. customers. According to Honda, Accord sales have dropped by 10 percent in the first two months of 2008 compared to 2007. Honda says the decline was due to the fact that the Japanese automaker killed of huge incentives it offered on the previous model.

The Honda Accord was the only Honda vehicles that made the Top 10 Best-Selling Vehicle list.

Old 04-29-08, 11:47 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS69
Honda Accord: Best Selling Vehicle in March 2008; Outsells Malibu & Camry
Posted on: April 29th, 2008

While everyone is talking up the Chevrolet Malibu sales beating Toyota’s Camry and Nissan’s Altima, Honda’s Accord is quitely taking over the mid-size sedan segment. According to an Edmunds analysis, the new 2008 Honda Accord was not only the best-selling car in America in March but also the best-selling vehicle.

Honda sold 36,161 Accords in March out selling the Camry by 4,851 units and the Malibu by 21,414 units. It also outsold the usual top-place vehicles like the Ford F-150 and the Chevrolet Silverado 15000.

Without many incentives the 2008 Accord is finally catching on with U.S. customers. According to Honda, Accord sales have dropped by 10 percent in the first two months of 2008 compared to 2007. Honda says the decline was due to the fact that the Japanese automaker killed of huge incentives it offered on the previous model.

The Honda Accord was the only Honda vehicles that made the Top 10 Best-Selling Vehicle list.

Sorry but WTF? Toyota sold 40,487 Camry in March, not 36,161 - 4,851 = 31,310 as this article suggests.

Neither companies report their coupe sales separately, and the 36,161 Accord figure does include coupes, so this whole article is pure BS.
Old 04-29-08, 01:25 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Sorry but WTF? Toyota sold 40,487 Camry in March, not 36,161 - 4,851 = 31,310 as this article suggests.

Neither companies report their coupe sales separately, and the 36,161 Accord figure does include coupes, so this whole article is pure BS.
Did Toyota sell 40,487 Camrys or 33,557 Camrys and 6,930 Camry Hybrids?

I love marketing people

Quick Reply: March 2008 Vehicles Sales