Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

March 2008 Vehicles Sales

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 01:32 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doug_999
Did Toyota sell 40,487 Camrys or 33,557 Camrys and 6,930 Camry Hybrids?

I love marketing people
I actually thought about the possibility of them excluding the hybrid sales, seeing that the 36,161 Accord figure excludes the almost non-existent Accord Hybrid sales, but then 33,557 does not equal to 31,310, so either way the article is pure BS. Plus it makes zero sense not to include the sales of Camry Hybrid and Accord Hybrid. They are the same cars as their gasoline counterparts, after all, with just different drivetrain options.
Old 04-29-08, 02:01 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
I actually thought about the possibility of them excluding the hybrid sales, seeing that the 36,161 Accord figure excludes the almost non-existent Accord Hybrid sales, but then 33,557 does not equal to 31,310, so either way the article is pure BS. Plus it makes zero sense not to include the sales of Camry Hybrid and Accord Hybrid. They are the same cars as their gasoline counterparts, after all, with just different drivetrain options.
The article removed the 2,247 or so Camrys that had bad transmissions and were swapped out for new cars which Toyota claimed as sales.

j/k

Old 04-29-08, 06:09 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Did Toyota sell 40,487 Camrys or 33,557 Camrys and 6,930 Camry Hybrids?

I love marketing people
I love frivolous internet articles with misconstrued information being pushed as "fact" .

Did Honda sell 36,161 Accords or 3X,XXX Accords and X,XXX Accord Coupes? Fact is we will never know, because Honda does not separate Accord coupe and sedan sales, even in it's press release. Toyota in it's press release does separate the Camry and Camry Hybrid.

If we take away BOTH Camry hybrids and Accord coupes from the sales totals, I'm totally sure the Camry would still outsell the Accord.

Either way, it's a completely silly article. Is Edmunds implying that the Camry hybrid is NOT a Camry!?

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 04-29-08 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-30-08, 05:01 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I love frivolous internet articles with misconstrued information being pushed as "fact" .

Did Honda sell 36,161 Accords or 3X,XXX Accords and X,XXX Accord Coupes? Fact is we will never know, because Honda does not separate Accord coupe and sedan sales, even in it's press release. Toyota in it's press release does separate the Camry and Camry Hybrid.

If we take away BOTH Camry hybrids and Accord coupes from the sales totals, I'm totally sure the Camry would still outsell the Accord.

Either way, it's a completely silly article. Is Edmunds implying that the Camry hybrid is NOT a Camry!?
But Honda DID used to separate out Hybrid sales and Toyota DID NOT used to separate out Camry Coupe sales (that was a funny car truth be told). So don't be thinking that Toyota is the almighty honest marketing player out there.
Old 04-30-08, 07:41 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

But Honda DID used to separate out Hybrid sales and Toyota DID NOT used to separate out Camry Coupe sales (that was a funny car truth be told). So don't be thinking that Toyota is the almighty honest marketing player out there.
The issue here is not who separates what sales. My point is, the Camry hybrid is STILL a Camry. The Accord Coupe is STILL an Accord. Again, the article by Edmunds is silly because its not counting all Camry sales (including the hybrid and whatever small number of Solara sales) yet it's counting all Accord sales.
Old 04-30-08, 08:35 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GS69
Honda Accord: Best Selling Vehicle in March 2008; Outsells Malibu & Camry
Posted on: April 29th, 2008

While everyone is talking up the Chevrolet Malibu sales beating Toyota’s Camry and Nissan’s Altima, Honda’s Accord is quitely taking over the mid-size sedan segment. According to an Edmunds analysis, the new 2008 Honda Accord was not only the best-selling car in America in March but also the best-selling vehicle.

Honda sold 36,161 Accords in March out selling the Camry by 4,851 units and the Malibu by 21,414 units. It also outsold the usual top-place vehicles like the Ford F-150 and the Chevrolet Silverado 15000.

Without many incentives the 2008 Accord is finally catching on with U.S. customers. According to Honda, Accord sales have dropped by 10 percent in the first two months of 2008 compared to 2007. Honda says the decline was due to the fact that the Japanese automaker killed of huge incentives it offered on the previous model.

The Honda Accord was the only Honda vehicles that made the Top 10 Best-Selling Vehicle list.

Did you write this article?

I dont know what to make of it. I do know I see TONS of new Accords in Atlanta, just today, I was behind one going 40mpg in the fast lane on the highway.

Old 04-30-08, 08:36 AM
LexFather

Oh and I expect April to continue to be dismal for most. I really only see overall gains for companies that have new products.

By summer, the lease deals/financing deals/incentives are going to jump right back to levels 3 and 4 years ago.

Old 05-02-08, 05:09 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Default Edmunds "admits" to manipulation of sales numbers

http://www.autoobserver.com/2008/04/...accord-be.html

Michelle Krebs, of Edmunds posted the following comment:

Originally Posted by Michelle Krebs
Thank you. We do not include the Solara as Toyota does.
Total dissapointment . If Edmunds does not include Solara sales in the Camry's total, then why did they include the Accord Coupe sales numbers in total Accord sales? I see no other reason than for them to do it other than sales manipulation to make a sensationalist headline.
Old 05-02-08, 08:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Total dissapointment . If Edmunds does not include Solara sales in the Camry's total, then why did they include the Accord Coupe sales numbers in total Accord sales? I see no other reason than for them to do it other than sales manipulation to make a sensationalist headline.
You sound personally offended that someone would accidentally or even deliberately use the wrong figures. Why do you care so much?
Old 05-02-08, 08:33 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It would not be the first time Edmunds has used inaccurate information to arrive at a misleading conclusion...sigh...
Old 05-03-08, 12:46 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by encore888
It would not be the first time Edmunds has used inaccurate information to arrive at a misleading conclusion...sigh...
Edmunds doesn't like Toyota and the IS-F review they wrote was offensive. They should stick to toaster oven reviews.

Old 05-03-08, 07:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Edmunds doesn't like Toyota and the IS-F review they wrote was offensive.
Offensive? "WHy SO SeRiOUs?"
Old 05-03-08, 07:28 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Offensive? "WHy SO SeRiOUs?"
LMFAO!!!!!

That was before my sig!

Old 05-03-08, 07:51 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
You sound personally offended that someone would accidentally or even deliberately use the wrong figures. Why do you care so much?
... far from it. I simply posted this because Edmunds is a respected and popular automotive news outlet/information source and keeping that in mind it's silly that they would resort to manipulating numbers just for a sensationalist headline (complete with BOLD emphasis).
Old 05-11-08, 01:04 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Correct me if I'm wrong but it is not called the Camry Coupe, it is the Camry Solara. Even so, the word Camry does not appear on the car does it? Worse, it is not even based on the same platform is it? You can let me know which of these are incorrect, but to be honest, I am surprised to learn that Toyota even includes the Solara totals in the Camry totals. It would seem that by adding the word Camry into the product name (and yet not even using it), that Toyota is doing the misleading here.

Quick Reply: March 2008 Vehicles Sales