Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Auto Express IS-F, M3, C63, RS4 Comparison Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-08, 06:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gengar
Some of the early pre-production reviews also said that the engine is probably not well-suited for higher rpms, even suggesting that the current redline is pushing it as it is.
I believe also it is for better reliability, engines simply are more reliable with lower RPMs. This is the same engine in the LS 600h L and while Yamaha had a lot to do with it, I don't think a racing engine in a LS was in mind.

We have to remember the IS-F simply was not meant to be, thus the extra font overhang and hood bulge.

Old 04-01-08, 09:41 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Despite finishing last, Auto Express still praised the IS-F and calls it a great achievement. There is nothing dissapointing about the IS-F losing comparos. Most people were definitely not expecting the IS-F to win comparos, and it would be foolish to think that Lexus on their first try could beat such established competition as the C AMG or the M3.

I agree that the very fact the IS-F now runs with the same crowd of prestigious cars as the M3, C63, and RS4 is an incredible achievement in and of itself. Lexus is the first ever Japanese brand to compete in this segment, and you can add this to the long list of other "firsts" that Lexus has done as a Japanese brand as well as a worldwide brand.

Originally Posted by gengar
Some of the early pre-production reviews also said that the engine is probably not well-suited for higher rpms, even suggesting that the current redline is pushing it as it is.
I highly doubt that is the case. The engine's revs I think were limited more for fuel economy than for reliability reasons.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I believe also it is for better reliability, engines simply are more reliable with lower RPMs. This is the same engine in the LS 600h L and while Yamaha had a lot to do with it, I don't think a racing engine in a LS was in mind.
That's somewhat true, but don't forget the UR engine series was developed in parallel with Toyota's F1 V10 engine, and some of the ideas and concepts used for the F1 engine were also used for the UR V8 engine series.

The UR V8 has dual timing chains, as well as chain-driven camshafts. This setup is more durable and more reliable than the belt/gear setup of the previous UZ engines. VVT-iE is also a more reliable valve timing system, being electronic instead of mechanical.

The IS-F's 2UR-GSE on top of all that has an oil scavenge pump, titanium intake valves, and other modifications for increased performance and reliability.

The IS-F's 2UR-GSE has a very similar valvetrain setup to that of the LS7 engine from the Z06. The LS7 can reliably rev to 7000 RPM and beyond, and it's a pushrod by design. Seeing as the IS-F's engine is an OHC design and better suited for high RPMs than the LS7, I am very confident the IS-F can rev to over 7K RPM and still run reliably for a long time.

Even the IS-F's tach going up to 9K RPM hints that the engine is capable of a lot more.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 04-01-08 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-01-08, 10:12 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Despite finishing last, Auto Express still praised the IS-F and calls it a great achievement. There is nothing dissapointing about the IS-F losing comparos. Most people were definitely not expecting the IS-F to win comparos, and it would be foolish to think that Lexus on their first try could beat such established competition as the C AMG or the M3.

I agree that the very fact the IS-F now runs with the same crowd of prestigious cars as the M3, C63, and RS4 is an incredible achievement in and of itself. Lexus is the first ever Japanese brand to compete in this segment, and you can add this to the long list of other "firsts" that Lexus has done as a Japanese brand as well as a worldwide brand.
Couldn't agree more. Lexus has done a great job with the IS-F. Can you imagine how good the next version of the IS-F might be?

I just hope Lexus continues to develop the F line of cars
Old 04-01-08, 10:44 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If I had to chose between the four, I'd go for either IS-F or Audi. I think that C63 is just too much... its a power monster, but other than that it offers very little, including fugly interior. Then you have M3 which is just torqueless and peaky, and I don't trust BMW's engine revving up to 8.000 rpms. The old M3's engine reliability was a joke.
Old 04-01-08, 10:46 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 2SwiFt29
man.. the IS-F is losing in a lot of magazine/online comparisons
It is their first time out in this segment while the others have been doing these type of cars for awhile and able to learn from mistakes and what they did right. It is a good first try for Lexus and it has extremely tough competition. I am impressed Lexus even did a car like this because they have never really made anything for enthusiasts or even something that handles really well aside from the underpowered original IS300 and it never stood out or did that well in comparisons or sales. Enthusiasts don't buy brand new Lexus for them being sporty, fun, or handling well so Lexus trying in this market is not going to be easy. Generally if you want a sporty good handling Lexus you have to turn to the aftermarket and modify it on a car that is not that sporty nor handles that well. If you take the cars they are based on the M3 and S4 are almost no brainers as the 3 series and A4 handle and perform very well, the new IS has never really been praised as being a great sports sedan or fun to drive and seems more or less like a downscaled GS instead of an all out sports sedan like the 3 series so its not a surprise the ISF is not going to be considered as sporty and fun to drive as a M3 or the others.

The competition most likely will not be as reliable as the Lexus nor have as good as service and the ISF I think is more a car for loyal Lexus customoers who really want a high performance Lexus instead of luring loyal customers from M3, RS, AMG, and the ISF does satisfy that small group at least. At least Lexus is the only Japanese upmarket company that offers a car like that even though they are the least performance oriented of the 3. Acura and Infiniti should have a car like this out by now and don't nor is their even one on the horizon so I have to give it to Lexus for offering one. Hopefully Lexus sticks with the F series even if they don't sell that well or win competitions because they will eventually learn and come up with something as good if not better then the established European rivals and it eventaully will start winning comparisons.
Old 04-02-08, 10:00 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
if so, how could they come up with the is-f already? or you mean the e46?

a lot of companies they do these type of reverse engineering on competitors' cars, it's common practice. but that doesn't mean they will just copy everything though. they still try to learn and do their own design, give and take

i have always said the is-f isn't the winner, but i also think they come very close

Yep, I know this is done these days, I was just curious. I recall hearing about Lexus engineers admitting to this but I didn't follow up on the story.

IS-F is a good competitor to the German three. At the end of the day they're all superb machines and I'd be happy with any one of them (provided someone else pays for the gas!).
Old 04-02-08, 10:06 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
If I had to chose between the four, I'd go for either IS-F or Audi. I think that C63 is just too much... its a power monster, but other than that it offers very little, including fugly interior. Then you have M3 which is just torqueless and peaky, and I don't trust BMW's engine revving up to 8.000 rpms. The old M3's engine reliability was a joke.
Hey! I take insult to that comment about the C class interior!

It's not that bad at all. It is definitely a nice place to be in once you spend time in it. And for the record, the Lexus IS interior isn't that "awesome" either. My sister drives an IS250 and I find the interior to be good, but not that good as it is made out to be.