Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

HG Motorsports E55!! - One of the nicest E55's I've ever seen!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-08, 02:57 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Thumbs up HG Motorsports E55!! - One of the nicest E55's I've ever seen!!

Article and Photography by Ling Ly

By now, if you've been around the block a few times and in the car scene long enough, you'll probably concur that the blacked-out themes aren't exactly new. In fact, some may even suggest the said theme is borderline "played out.".

What I've learned through seeing so many of these types is that you will either love it or hate it with no middle ground. Creative placement and near-perfect execution of the blacked-out components are extremely critical in producing an intimidating, yet attractive, result. When done incorrectly -- well, let's put it this way -- ruining the look of any $100,000 automobile isn't exactly an accomplishment any Enthusiast should be proud of.

Honestly, even I had my own doubts when Dieter-Heinz Kijora, general manager of Heinz Gietz Autohaus and founder of HG Motorsports in La Jolla, California, described the completed modifications and remaining plans for their Flint Grey 2006 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG a few weeks prior to this photoshoot.

What can one possibly do with this theme, or to this car for that matter, that hasn't already been done?

The E55 AMG is already a beast in stock form with an astounding 469 horsepower and 516 ft-lbs of torque under the hood. The exterior of the car, however, wasn't exactly indicative of the menacing ferociousness this beast would unleash on its unsuspecting prey in daily stoplight encounters or on the track.

There are numerous routes Dieter could have taken in modifying the appearance of the car. The simple theme of "clean and classy" would be the choice of many but that didn't exactly fit the profile of this particular E55 as the intended use of the car wasn't for show purposes or looking pretty. In case you're not familiar with HG Motorsports, the reigning NASA Time Trials TTR champions in 2005 and runner-up -- by 1 ONE point -- in 2007, their cars are built with a sole purpose -- domination on the track.

With the track pedigree in mind, Dieter started by installing a Renntech electronic lowering module (ELM) to lower the 4,200 pound beast's center of gravity. The result is an E55 that looks menacingly aggressive on 19x9 and 19x10 HRE M40 Monoblock wheels. The HRE wheels have been finished in a custom Matte Black and are wrapped with 255/35/19 and 285/30/19 Pirelli P-Zero tires.

Peeking out from behind the wheels are lightweight two-piece floating brake rotors from Evosport (front and rear) which have made the biggest impact thus far with an unsprung weight savings at all four corners totaling 35 lbs! Next up was alignment. With access to state of the art equipment at Heinz Gietz Autohaus -- the only remaining family-owned Mercedes-Benz authorized service center in the US -- the alignment of the E55 was dialed in with their preferred track specifications.

On the exterior, Dieter kept the factory Flint Grey paint and accented it with emblems and carefully placed OEM components painted Matte Black by West Coast Specialties in San Diego, CA. The factory grille was painted Matte Black around its borders while the slats were color matched with the factory Flint Grey paint. While the front grille was getting painted, the emblems were also painted a Matte Black to match the blacked-out theme on the vehicle. An E63 rear lip spoiler and OEM Satellite Radio antenna painted Mercedes "040 Black" was mounted on the rear trunk lid. To complete the look of the rear end, the tail lights were "smoked" to knock down the brightness of the factory red housings. The turn signals on the side mirrors were also smoked to compliment the look. The finishing touch on the exterior was the use of Black Mercedes ML lug nuts to match the black finish of the HRE's. Now that's attention to detail!

Inside the cabin, the only obvious modification at first glance are the patches of suede on the steering wheel. The standard issue E55 steering wheel was swapped out in favor of the updated E63 wheel with paddle shifters. With additional time in the driver's seat, one will eventually notice the Valentine One radar detector mounted slightly above the rear view mirror which is almost considered standard equipment in this car that is capable of reaching 100 mph in less than 9.5 seconds.

After spending a few hours with this unique creation -- I'll have to admit -- my initial doubts and skepticism regarding this project have been silenced by the remarkable quality of work and perfect execution of the blacked-out theme.
*source
http://www.mymbonline.com/hg_e55.php

*for more pics and vid, visit link above

Awesome just friggin' awesome
Old 04-01-08, 03:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

guess the car is more on the go side. nice, though some other e55 i have seen look nicer imho
Old 04-01-08, 03:27 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just see a drop and wheel.
Nice but I seem nicer!
Old 04-01-08, 03:28 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
guess the car is more on the go side. nice, though some other e55 i have seen look nicer imho

yea times 2...major mods exterior wise is really rims , painted front grill, carbon trunk lip and smoked tails. i too have seen many E55's that looked a lot better...like the one below

Old 04-01-08, 03:28 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

psst. west coast specialties is the worst freaking body shop in the world...
Old 04-01-08, 03:42 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Alll the pictures in this thread except 1 are at retarded angles and don't really let you appreciate the car.
Old 04-01-08, 04:08 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Clean, simple and aggressive, I like it!
Old 04-01-08, 05:22 PM
fbapacible
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow.... now that is nice clean simple and BAD all at the same time. I love black wheels.
Old 04-01-08, 05:45 PM
LexFather

I love it!! Very subtle....

Old 04-01-08, 06:03 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ooooooooh those are some smexy rims..

what HRE's are those?

edit: nvm i read the article... M40 Monoblocks....nice....
Old 04-01-08, 07:49 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I like it! Very clean and classy.

Pretty simple stuff though:

HRE monoblocks
Evosport brakes
painted grill, emblems
smoked tails, signals
E63 trunk lip spoiler
E63 steering wheel
Valentine One radar detector

I'll bet there are hundreds (or even thousands) of folks on CL that have done more to their own personal cars.
Old 04-01-08, 09:26 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I loove e55's and e63's
Old 04-01-08, 09:29 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I like it for what it is, but can honestly say I've seen much better looking E55's.

Agree with the poster about the camera angles and lighting. First thing I noticed. They do nothing for these cars.
Old 04-02-08, 04:15 AM
sdsilverm3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For some reason I had a feeling this would make it here on this forum. Thanks Seize.

Not defending the car as it isn't mine so I could care less but just offering my opinion on the car and what I saw in it.

First off, I knew the style of the car wouldn't be for everyone. What it is though, is something different from the typical modified E55's. Is different always better? Well, that's subjective but, like Gferg, I do like the car for what it is.

I've been to so many MB events in the last three years and have seen my fair share of modded E55's. I can honestly say most look similar if not the same from afar. Not that the owners are to blame because the aftermarket support for Mercedes in general is extremely limited hence the simplicity of modifications for this car and others. There isn't really much you can do to them outside of the typical stuff. Another contributing factor is that most of the AMG's are leased due to their depreciation so owners aren't as inclined to modify extensively but would rather prefer simple, easy to remove mods. The fact that 91% of the AMG "sales" in 2006 were leases says it all.

Angles and lighting aren't for everyone either. If you guys would have read my posts on some of the other forums that these pics were also posted on you'll know that there were 3 cars to the front of the E55 and 4 in the rear of that narrow lot. Just did what I could with the E55 so that the cars in the background wouldn't show up in the pics hence the strange angles. I have "normal" angles but they had way too many distractions in the background.

Last edited by sdsilverm3; 04-02-08 at 04:22 AM.
Old 04-02-08, 04:32 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Very nice, aggresive and classy all in one package.....

Quick Reply: HG Motorsports E55!! - One of the nicest E55's I've ever seen!!