Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

M3 versus 335i? how much is the upgrade worth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-08, 08:54 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default M3 versus 335i? how much is the upgrade worth?

I drove the S4 yesterday and liked the handling but thought the engine wasn't as fun as the 335i. I am basically on a strong lean with Bimmer. I want to know is the 20k bucks worth the dive to get a M3 or is that not worth the money?
Old 04-02-08, 10:05 AM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

335i is more value for your money, The ultimate would be a 335i with a dinan upgrade.
Old 04-02-08, 10:12 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tough question. I personally myself would probably buy the 335i just because of the aftermarket potential with that turbo motor. Plus it is a much better value. The ultimate speed and performance is good enough for me on the 335i, and anything more would just be pure fun and bragging rights. That is were the M3 comes in. An M car is an M car no matter what. It does perform a bit better in stock form, but you are also getting that M Class car. There is some bragging rights to that even if you are just cruising at 30 MPH on the highway. If I had the income to where an extra $20K was really no problem, I'd get the M3. Money no object I'd always pick the top dog. However, in the real world for me $20K is a lot of money and I'd rather use that extra $20K on something else, so I'd get the 335i.
Old 04-02-08, 10:13 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The M3 sedan is only ~14k or so more than the 335i sedan , IIRC, comparing base model to base model.

The M3 might even come with more standard features.

I'd say the M3 is a fair value over the 335i if performance is a priority.

A turbo program upgrade on the 335i is a far better initial value but when reliability concerns come up it begins to lose its value quickly.

Also consider the 14k you spend on the M3... you'll get a good portion of that back in resale value, so it's not like 14k down the hole never to be seen again.

The M3 is also quite a bit more of a head turner, much more rare, and handles significantly better. LSD, too!
Old 04-02-08, 10:51 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

To some the M3 will be worth it, to some it won't.
Old 04-02-08, 10:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if you want to mod out, i say the 335 is a better car, especially for the money. if you want it "done" as is, the m3 would be my choice
Old 04-02-08, 11:30 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
if you want to mod out, i say the 335 is a better car, especially for the money. if you want it "done" as is, the m3 would be my choice
I just wanted to post, but my answer is already written. Comes down to out the door or future return as well as your wallet size.
Old 04-02-08, 11:37 AM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

IT is worth it..so what if the 335i can get more hp with less mods... HP difference will not change the track times... Thee M3 has entirely different suspension set up.. i like they only used like 1 or 2 parts from the 335i's...
8:05 BMW M3 E92 420 PS/1608 kg Horst von Saurma Sport Auto 12/07
8:22 BMW M3 E46 343 PS/1584 kg Horst von Saurma Sport Auto 12/00
8:22 BMW M Coupe E36/7 321 PS/1445 kg Horst von Saurma Sport Auto 10/98
8:26 BMW 335i E92 Coupe 306 PS Horst von Saurma Sport Auto 306 hp

More hp may shave off a couple seconds...

But if you are like the typical car owner who will basically never go to the track or will just go drag racing then get the 335i... if not then the M3 is a MUST HAVE!
Old 04-25-08, 06:02 PM
rai
Lead Lap

there are a few 335i threads (was looking for MMarshall's review, but came across this thread which may be most appropriate).

-- from Bimmer magazine, not a BMW affiliation but definatly BMW fans. but here is some points regarding the 335i v M3

--->> http://bimmer-mag.com/art2/art2p1.html

http://bimmer-mag.com/art1/art1p1.html

there’s something discernibly sterile and clinical about the 335i that permeates its entire character. The steering is tight and meaty, while the suspension feels similarly rigid and buttoned-down. It’s all very reassuring at first, but as the miles roll by it becomes obvious that there’s no real sparkle hiding behind its weightiness, and that the chassis has tons of composure but little actual talent.
Despite its ability to go around corners at very high speeds, the 335i chassis doesn’t respond much to throttle inputs, and it generally lacks any predilection for playfulness.

Stepping back into the M3 alters the driving experience so severely that it is difficult to believe that the two cars are derived from a common platform. Though perhaps not much quicker against a stopwatch than its turbocharged sibling, the M3 is infused with a wealth of passion and spirit that can be sensed from the moment that glorious 414-hp motor is brought to life.
It’s not just its healthy V8 roar and razor-sharp throttle response. It’s also the sinister pairing of robust low-end torque with an energetic top-end rush that builds relentlessly, right through to the final spine-tingling shriek of noise and force that arrives past 6,000 rpm. Even if you don’t have to rev the snot out of the M3 to get going quickly, it’s still incredibly tempting to drop down a gear or two whenever possible, just to experience that magnificent upper-rpm thrill.
By replacing nearly every single component of the suspension system compared to a regular E90/E92 (only two lateral links carry over at the rear), BMW M has managed to give the new M3 better compliance over bumps and a generally more settled ride than the standard 3 Series, even without the EDC upgrade. The non-run-flat tires also help a lot in this department.
Equip an M3 with EDC, however, and the ride is nothing short of a revelation. There’s a palpable suppleness that is completely absent in every other 3 Series, right down to the most basic 328i. In fact, with the possible exception of the 7 Series, no current BMW smoothes over pavement imperfections with as much ease. Handling does not suffer at all, however, because the shocks stiffen up instantly if the multitude of electronic sensors detect a need.

If anything, BMW should be concerned that the M3 could very well steal sales from the far more expensive M5 and M6, both of which are substantially inferior automobiles in every discernable fashion.

Last edited by rai; 04-25-08 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-25-08, 07:20 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

90% of the M3 for 75% of the price
Old 04-25-08, 07:23 PM
LexFather

The 335 is one of those few gems that comes around and just does everything so well, it would make anyone happy. It also makes people 2nd guess the M3.

For me, it is the M3 though. The 335 while outstanding, is pedestrian compared to a M3, which BMW has tested to be the best of the best of this class.

Old 04-25-08, 07:47 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

If I had the money..the M3.

I'm always hearing: "You can get the 335 to 90% of the M3 by doing this and that". If straight line is your only concern..then yes..335i w/mod is your best bet. But for those who actually care about pushing the envelope, the M3 is where its at. Most will argue that you wont be driving the M3 hard enough to warrant its extra cost. If that was the case, then whats the point of buying an IS-F if you can get an IS350 with some kind of forced induction? After all....the MSRP for the IS-f is ~$56,000 while the IS350 w/sport pkg is at $40,000. Is the IS-F really worth $16,000 more? Meanwhile, the M3 sedan MSRP is at $54,000 and the 335 sedan w/sports pkg is at $44,000.

Now you can argue saying the IS-F is more than just straight line acceleration..but that ALSO holds true to the 335i vs M3 argument.

I'm getting sick and tired of hearing how you can buy a 335, chip it, and all of the sudden it's comparable to the M3. Most people are not comfortable modding their brand new car, especially when it comes to electronics. People buy the M3 over the 335 for the same reason that CL members buy the IS-F over a regular IS350
Old 04-25-08, 08:07 PM
rai
Lead Lap

^ also, many people buy a car like the M3 that stands out, meaning it looks tough and it's got features not found in a 335i such as LSD, EDC, DCT, CF roof etc..

Interior better, much better seats etc. which people don't talk about they just say you can chip a 335i or the 335i is 90% of a M3 (as if the seats or the leather etc. are 90% as good you can not quantify things like that).

You can NOT get a 335i without a sunroof, that in itself is a selling point for me to get a M3 as well as many other features too numerous to mention.

things like non-runflat tires, better brakes, better wheels, better premium sound etc. you you can replace the brakes, tires, wheels, speakers etc. on a 335i but that's all costing money or you can pay up front for a M3 if those things are going to be upgraded anyway.

Last edited by rai; 04-25-08 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-25-08, 08:28 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

335's with an LSD and tune are hanging with M3's on tracks pretty easily. That said, if you're going to track the car heavily I'd still get the M3. It's flat out more fun to drive, and this is coming from a guy with a tuned 335i with an LSD.
Old 04-26-08, 12:53 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

modifying an 335i to an M3 level's handling performance would cost a heck lot
also you would be sacrificing reliability with dinan mods or every turbo mods
not to mention warranty issues in the future (im not exactly sure on the warranty issue with some of the mods)

M3 just has overally better handling performance and a straight out of the box, fun and well-rounded performance machine

my vote goes to M3
this threads needs a poll

Quick Reply: M3 versus 335i? how much is the upgrade worth?