Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Used Rs4 2007?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-08, 09:45 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
To be completely honest, STOCK NSX's are not as blistering fast as you might think I have read this EVERYWHERE

This is true, a stock NSX is not as fast as one might expect from todays higher HP cars, but people make it out to seem slow or something. 5-Speed manual NA1 NSX run mid 5.5 0-60 and 13.5 1/4 mile runs all day. 6-Speed NA2 NSX's run 5.0 flat to 60 and 13.0 1/4 miles all day. These are facts and most of the NSX owners will agree with that. There ar a few 12.7-8 NA2 Coupe times out there, since most are NSX-Ts those are in a different category. Anyway, what I'm saying is I don't get how a 13.0 flat 1/4 mile car can be considered not really fast. A stock IS350 giving an NSX a run for its money is expected. I would also consider an IS350 a fast car myself though. People thought the E46 M3 was a fast car and the NA2 was a faster car than that.
Old 04-04-08, 10:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

whoever thinks the nsx is a drag car, that's so wrong. it's fast, but it's not drag. it's just like saying bring the ferrari to 1/4 mile.....

it's a track car, if anything. drag is so little part of it. that's where the nsx shine. given the age of nsx, i am not surprised that in today's drag, it's not one of the first. but put it on the track and it still put a lot of cars to shame these days

i don't think anyone said the bmw m "handles the best out of any production car" who said that? a porsche handles better. some ferrari, lambo, and other exotic cars handle better.

but if you talk about teh close competitors, namely the rs4, c63, m3, and is-f, then yeah, i actually think the m3 wins. audi and c63 could be very close 2nd and 3rd, i don't deny that, but the top gear video i watched and i think 2 other reviews i read, they all say the bmw is a very balanced car
Old 04-04-08, 04:18 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverBull
I have driven an IS-F. I have driven a 335i and S4(not the RS4 yet) I would rather have the 335i or the S4 before a IS-F based on its handling. It is that simple. The IS-F doesn't have a stick as well. That to me is a joke plain and simple. The other league issue is that Lexus refuses to give a manual tranny to the IS-F. If you don't put in sport mode it still drives like a LS460 too.

The stock NA1 NSX does 0-60 in roughly 5.6 and a NA2 NSX(1997-05') runs a little faster with a 6 speed gearbox to about 5.3. The NSX is not that fast stock buddy. I have driven a few of them and they need extra horses. An RS4 would smoke a stock NSX any day of the week. I don't know where you got those facts but maybe it was a overzealous NSX owner. Basically I realized after putting a comptech kit on the car for 10k or so I would have spent $40k on a car with 119k miles on it and may in fact need a rebuild due to the extra power on it. For that kind of money I can get a lot of car. The NSX is a great car and if I found a good deal I would still consider it but you have to blow some cash on it to get it as lively as these new cars. My IS350 is as fast as stock NSX actually.
If you reread my post in your NSX thread, you'll see that I say the IS350 and NSX are similar in speed. However, the NSX is much faster up top than down low. 0-60 and 1/4 mile times don't tell the whole story. The NSX's tall gearing hurts it down low, but it shines above 75-80 mph. And btw, no, an RS4 will not smoke an NSX. I have verified this against a friend's RS4. My car is slightly modified (IEH + suspension), but no forced induction. However, an SC'ed NSX will smoke an RS4. This is true and is what I posted, since these were your two choices.

Seriously, stop comparing magazine times. 996's and CLK55's are supposed to hit 60 in under 5. So why is my car competitive with them to 60?

I do like the new M3 you're now looking at, and I think it's a great car. Actually, there are a lot of cars that I like. I'm just not crazy about a used RS4 for $60k, and I'm just expressing my opinion about your previous choice (NSX) vs. the RS4. That was the point of this thread, wasn't it?

To be completely honest, STOCK NSX's are not as blistering fast as you might think I have read this EVERYWHERE from many NSX OWNERS themselves...sorry pal. BTW an IS350 with the right driver and some light mods will give a stock NSX a run for it's money; they are 13.2/13.3 cars and NOT very torquey at all. mmmmmmm back on topic...
My point exactly. I state facts verified by real life experiences. You repeat what you read. NSX's are not that fast. I agree. But to say with such conviction that one car is faster than another based on what you've heard or read is foolish. Let me guess, you've never driven an NSX, right? I've only driven 20 or so, ranging from NA1's to '02+, SC'ed and NA. I think I can say with some accuracy what the car is capable of. I guess I'm just a "biased goon"...

Last edited by pvmike1; 04-04-08 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-04-08, 08:41 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW, where are you going to buy a new M3 for $60k? I haven't seen one even close to that price. They are 70k right now with options. Good luck finding that elusive cheap M3.
I know for a fact people have gotten them for $60K on ebay - loaded none-the-less!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m32

Old 04-04-08, 10:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by doug_999
I know for a fact people have gotten them for $60K on ebay - loaded none-the-less!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m32

lol, round 2 might fly
Old 04-04-08, 11:40 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

dont flame, but I have no FU***ing idea what a Rs4 is?

can some one post a pic? or just inform me a lil.

sorry. for the lame reply.
Old 04-05-08, 09:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Lettuce
dont flame, but I have no FU***ing idea what a Rs4 is?

can some one post a pic? or just inform me a lil.

sorry. for the lame reply.
http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/n...i_A4/RS_4.html

we have s4, and then the ultimate rs4. the rs4 is the "real" competitor to m3 and c63
Old 04-05-08, 09:00 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

So personal opinions always have biases?? I've stated this almost 2 years ago about my friend's yellow S4 wagon regarding a drive up a famous windy hill road here in Cali. "I went up a few times in my 01' Cobra and took a ride a few weeks ago in my friend's Audi S4 wagon. All I got to say about AWD is... I don't even know how fast we hit that famous "horseshoe" but I hit the side of my head on the passenger window while accelerating up that turn."

And calling other members goons and such? What's the deal with that? I thought this was car chat.... right? Since when did you call other forum members names in car chat?

Oh.... and how is this for bias? I think the LF-A is going to be a rip-off.
Old 04-07-08, 06:42 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey pvmike1,
First off I have NOT driven even 1 NSX. Yes, you are right that I am quoting from what I have read in magazines as well from what I have read from OTHER NSX OWNERS and THEIR EXPERIENCES WITH SUCH! I'm not flaming on the NSX so calm down and no need to call other people names. Secondly, (IMHO) IF and only IF a bunch of magazines collectively say "X" car runs 13.2 in the 1/4 mile and "Y" car runs 12.8 in the 1/4 mile I would "think" that the "edge" would be given to the "Y" car without having to drive "20" of them. That's all I am saying. Lastly, no one said 60K for a used RS4 was a GREAT deal. If you re-read all the previous posts you will see me aswell as others CL members advised the OP to talk the dealer down into the low/mid $50K range...the lower the better; obviously. I realize that you are an NSX owner, congratulations, they are really nice cars and OF COURSE AN FI NSX would kill an RS4 and a handful of other exotics to boot. I don't understand your point with that is...no one was arguing with "that particular" new notion. Point is any of these cars in this entire thread are wonderful. Everyone here is just giving "their" prospective and are doing so without throwing around ignorant comments/insults to each other. Play nice

Originally Posted by pvmike1
If you reread my post in your NSX thread, you'll see that I say the IS350 and NSX are similar in speed. However, the NSX is much faster up top than down low. 0-60 and 1/4 mile times don't tell the whole story. The NSX's tall gearing hurts it down low, but it shines above 75-80 mph. And btw, no, an RS4 will not smoke an NSX. I have verified this against a friend's RS4. My car is slightly modified (IEH + suspension), but no forced induction. However, an SC'ed NSX will smoke an RS4. This is true and is what I posted, since these were your two choices.

Seriously, stop comparing magazine times. 996's and CLK55's are supposed to hit 60 in under 5. So why is my car competitive with them to 60?

I do like the new M3 you're now looking at, and I think it's a great car. Actually, there are a lot of cars that I like. I'm just not crazy about a used RS4 for $60k, and I'm just expressing my opinion about your previous choice (NSX) vs. the RS4. That was the point of this thread, wasn't it?

My point exactly. I state facts verified by real life experiences. You repeat what you read. NSX's are not that fast. I agree. But to say with such conviction that one car is faster than another based on what you've heard or read is foolish. Let me guess, you've never driven an NSX, right? I've only driven 20 or so, ranging from NA1's to '02+, SC'ed and NA. I think I can say with some accuracy what the car is capable of. I guess I'm just a "biased goon"...
Old 04-07-08, 11:51 AM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Hey pvmike1,
First off I have NOT driven even 1 NSX. Yes, you are right that I am quoting from what I have read in magazines as well from what I have read from OTHER NSX OWNERS and THEIR EXPERIENCES WITH SUCH! I'm not flaming on the NSX so calm down and no need to call other people names. Secondly, (IMHO) IF and only IF a bunch of magazines collectively say "X" car runs 13.2 in the 1/4 mile and "Y" car runs 12.8 in the 1/4 mile I would "think" that the "edge" would be given to the "Y" car without having to drive "20" of them. That's all I am saying. Lastly, no one said 60K for a used RS4 was a GREAT deal. If you re-read all the previous posts you will see me aswell as others CL members advised the OP to talk the dealer down into the low/mid $50K range...the lower the better; obviously. I realize that you are an NSX owner, congratulations, they are really nice cars and OF COURSE AN FI NSX would kill an RS4 and a handful of other exotics to boot. I don't understand your point with that is...no one was arguing with "that particular" new notion. Point is any of these cars in this entire thread are wonderful. Everyone here is just giving "their" prospective and are doing so without throwing around ignorant comments/insults to each other. Play nice
I didn't call you any names, and I don't mean to offend you. The OP was cross shopping an FI'd NSX and RS4, so I was comparing those two options.

But you're right, they're all nice cars. I hope he's happy with the M3 - I would be.
Old 04-07-08, 12:27 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoever is talking random posts needs to consider what this part of the forum is for. Car Char as I know it for discussing all things cars. If you guys don't want to give any helpful input than don't say anything, Jesus Christ.

I think the RS4 is a better car than the IS-F. The IS-F(I have driven it) is not in the same league yet as those high end sports sedans. It is still trying to be two things at once. I realize this is a Lexus board so I am willing to listen to all the bias on this but just try to act like you haven't owned a Lexus for 5 years guys. Lexus is for a nice comfy ride and great interior. I love my cars but for what they are but I want something different now.

BTW, where are you going to buy a new M3 for $60k? I haven't seen one even close to that price. They are 70k right now with options. Good luck finding that elusive cheap M3.

Audi RS4 is one of the nicest car i have seen. I myself is a audi fan. currently driving a A6 S-line, loving the AWD in those things . I also like Audi's moto of not follwing everyone else. Another reason why i got an audi was cuz i don't want to be another guy driving a BMW... it seems as tho, everyone and their great uncle owns a BMW..

but for 60K the RS4 is a big pricey, talk him down 50 is a yes!!!
Old 04-07-08, 01:47 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Buddy, there may be another car that will bump the RS4 off your shopping list.. 2006 E60 M5's with 20k on the clock can now be had for 59k Test this car out also..
Old 04-07-08, 02:40 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say if you can get the RS4 go for it. Thats my dream car.
Old 04-07-08, 02:48 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going with a chipped 335i or a M3 now. It was just personal preference when I drove each car. The Audi's were close in comparison but the all wheel drive means less letting the tires loose on a turn without traction control on. The Audi's have a nicer gearbox than BMW. Their interior is pretty sharp as well. The S4/RS4 was a bit small inside for me.(I am 6'1") It felt a little tight width wise. I would go with the Audi had I lived in a area with snow precipitation likely. In Las Vegas I think it is all BMW.
Old 04-07-08, 04:27 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I don't want a RS4, but I like it and think it is a beautiful car. If you want performance, 365 driving in all weather conditions, then go for it. I will take an M3 sedan at that price though!

Quick Reply: Used Rs4 2007?