Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pontiac Ponders G8 GXP Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 03:50 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pontiac Ponders G8 GXP Coupe

Because of the Camaro, the engineering and testing of the G8 GXP is done and set, which should make the transformation from Holden to Pontiac a breeze. The coupe would ride on the same 114.8-inch wheelbase as the sedan.(Photo illustration by Nick Wilcox)

The G8 Coupe, seen here in our exclusive illustrations, would not be a true hardtop like the Holden concept but would get a B-pillar, just as the production Camaro does.(Photo illustration by Nick Wilcox)

It might garner less initial attention, but we think the G8 Coupe, particularly one with 400-plus horsepower, fits Pontiac's image better and would have more sustainable sales than the G8 Sport Truck.(Photo illustration by Nick Wilcox)

DETROIT — If the car enthusiasts within General Motors prevail, Pontiac will further expand its lineup of rear-wheel-drive performance vehicles to include a 400-plus-horsepower V8-powered G8 coupe. Just don't call it a GTO.

The coupe, which would be based on the Holden Coupe 60 concept the Australian division unveiled recently at the Melbourne auto show, would arrive in showrooms within three years' time.

Since neither the Firebird nor GTO name will likely to be revived for the Pontiac lineup, the G8 coupe will carry the performance mantle for the brand. To do battle with the big-horsepower Ford Shelby Mustang GT500KR, Dodge Challenger SRT8 and the upcoming Camaro SS, Pontiac will have to outfit its coupe with the 402-horsepower LS3 6.2-liter V8 that the company recently introduced at the New York auto show in the G8 GXP sedan.

As seen in these illustrations, the G8 Coupe GXP won't be a true hardtop like the Holden Coupe 60 Concept. Like the Camaro and Challenger it will grow a B-pillar and fixed rear side glass in production trim.

It'll also get the GXP sedan's 19-inch wheels, 245/40ZR19-spec summer tires and a version of the GXP's aggressive front fascia. That rolling gear would be attached to the sedan's stiff FE3 suspension and, like the sedan, the GXP coupe would offer an optional Tremec six-speed manual transmission.

Additionally, the G8 coupe, which has been developed alongside the Camaro, would be offered as the G8 Coupe GT, powered by the same 361-hp 6.0-liter used in the G8 GT sedan. Of course, this all assumes that a faction within General Motors that fears upcoming CAFE (corporate average fuel economy) standards doesn't quash the project.

"The G8 Coupe is not dead," said one source within the company. "This is an uphill battle. It shouldn't be. But it is." When pressed, our source indicates that the chance of getting the coupe is probably less than 50 percent.

Predictably, Bob Lutz is said to be in the pro-coupe camp. This isn't the first time the two factions have battled over G8 variants.

"The G8 GXP, the G8 sport truck and the G8 wagon were all part of the plan. Then they pulled all three just three or four months ago. It was a classic over-reaction to CAFE. We got the GXP back and, because Lutz is a big fan of the sport truck we got that back, too. But then Dodge killed the Magnum and that was the end of the wagon," our source says.

What this means to you: We don't care if they call it GTO or Firebird or Powder Puff. We still want this Corvette-motored coupe much more than a revival of the el Camino. — Daniel Pund, Senior Editor, Detroit
Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=125393#2
Old 04-03-08, 04:23 AM
LexFather

Infiniti G vs Pontiac G. Sounds good to me!

Old 04-03-08, 05:42 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The G8 sedan and coupe looks fantastic IMHO with a powerful powerplant. I just don't care for the look of the front end; too boxy and traditional like a caddy or something. The sides and the rear are real nice though!!!
Old 04-03-08, 06:03 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Nice, wish all the best for Pontiac. There is Pontiac Club that regularly races at my track and they will enjoy this.
Old 04-03-08, 09:44 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been watching www.holden.com.au and this looks like the Coupe 60, 60 representing the 60th anniversary of Holden
Old 04-03-08, 06:19 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

The Holden Rocks - I wonder why America wears a different pair of ***** than ballzy Austrialians? But, if they bring the Holden coupe as a G8 coupe - I'll rock it..
Old 04-03-08, 11:01 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw a silver one over at SF. Sign me up for that beast. It'd make a great DD even though my SC when done will tear it to shreds
Old 04-04-08, 12:29 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Youre not kiddin man! The G8 coupe would be amazing!! I couldnt pass that one up if I saw it, id just HAVE to buy it
Old 04-04-08, 01:05 AM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I must be missing something. What does the Infiniti G line-up have anything to do with Pontiac G8 line-up?

Regarding the Pontiac G8: this might be the turning point for Pontiac. From the beginning of the Pontiac's existance, everything they have built was crap. This G8 in the other hand, is nothing near crap. It looks great, decent interior, and good performance despite its ~4,000 lb weight.
Old 04-04-08, 01:30 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best American car in years! SICK!
Old 04-04-08, 02:37 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

despite its ~4,000 lb weight
About d*mn time GM designed a car like this. Geez, who cares about weight I mean look at G37 it a pretty darn heavy a** car too. If you guys want a light car then get a Miata or Lotus.

Last edited by rsantiago; 04-04-08 at 02:45 AM.
Old 04-04-08, 08:48 AM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

This car actually does not look too bad
Old 04-04-08, 09:42 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
The Holden Rocks - I wonder why America wears a different pair of ***** than ballzy Austrialians? But, if they bring the Holden coupe as a G8 coupe - I'll rock it..
no kidding, they look much better when it's a Holden/Vauxhall. I'd rock a VXR8
Old 04-04-08, 09:53 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, this car does look nice. I'm glad to see so many good looking coupes coming out from all the different manufacturers. Who said coupes are dead? Looks like we are getting a lot of good coupe choice today more so than in the past.
Old 04-04-08, 10:52 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Agreed, sides and back look good, this coming from an import lover. But please Pontiac can the "altezza" rear lights, they are played out on imports and you know when the domestics start tacking them on they are beyond played out. Just some simple red lights would do, maybe jazz them up with some LEDs.