Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California: Police Raid Car Enthusiast Gathering, Generate Revenue

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-08, 06:35 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

All parties should hire a good lawyer, and make a law suite!
Old 04-05-08, 08:59 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i dunno why anyone would want to live in the great state of commiefornia
Old 04-05-08, 09:04 PM
burton159
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hell yeah u can sue them F... RS for harrasment since were in the country were u can sue anyone for anything ...
Old 04-05-08, 10:09 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two words: Group Lawsuit. Give this case to a lawyer firm and they will take these cops to town, drain their accounts dry, and keep cops from being on the street.

Must be some kids running those precincts, what a waste of money!
Old 04-06-08, 02:06 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I think everyone is getting more than a bit worked up over a one-sided report from a questionable source. Let me summarize the article from a different point of view:

Last night, police in Riverside, CA assisted by other area law enforcement made a significant breakthrough in their battle against organized crime elements. Recent statistics show that these gangs have brought drugs into the area, with a commensurate rise in both violent and non-violent crime.

"Hey, were weren't doin' nothin'," claimed one tattooed, pierced participant at the "car enthusiast meet", held illegally in a shopping center parking lot around midnight.

"We have found that these "meets" are merely an excuse for criminal elements to get together," explained the Riverside police chief. "Associated with them we often find street racing, underage drinking, and even blatant drug dealing. Nineteen innocent people have lost their lives in Riverside County in the past 12 months due to street race-related incidents, and the citizens have had enough."

In fact, police say, it was the increasing clamor from residents and business owners that led to the raid. "People were getting ready to take things into their own hands," explained the FBI liaison to the crime-fighting effort. "Obviously, we want law enforcement to be handled by professionals, so we organized this coordinated sting. The message is out--criminal elements can no longer use these kind of events as cover for their nefarious activities."

While some of those fined or cited at the event have claimed harassment and are threatening to sue, the local D.A. is confident there will be no problems. "Everything was done by the book," he claims, adding "These were all legitimate tickets for clear violations of the law. My office stands ready to defend the actions of our police, and I am confident all the offenders will do is waste money on lawyers if they try to fight these charges."

One man who refused to give his name for this interview challenged police. "We'll be back," he boasted. "Or maybe we'll just move to another city where the heat isn't so high."

For the citizens of Riverside, maybe that's enough.
Old 04-06-08, 03:29 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

excuse me but thats an EXTREMELY broad generalization. im an officer with Imports@UCR and we hold meets somewhat regularly near our campus in a private parking lot and the eateries there LOVE us, and encourage us to come out more since its a lot of extra business when they normally dont have much.

mind you, we are pretty strict about people pulling stupid crap (revving, speeding, burnouts, etc...) and even limit the loud music alot.
Old 04-06-08, 03:42 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by t0e
All parties should hire a good lawyer, and make a law suite!
Reminds me:

Everyone knows about Miranda Rights = "You have the right to remain silent. You have the right to an attorney."

If this ever happens:

(1) Don't say a word to the cops (Your right to remain silent) other than "I want a public lawyer." (Your right to an attorney.)

(2) Cops will have to call for a public lawyer to arrive at the spot to tell you what the laws are, and to see if you broke a law.

(3) Repeat 100+ times for all those people that were entrapped.

By the way, Entrapment is against the law. Police should know that.
Old 04-07-08, 01:29 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Does California really suck? Read the articles first...

Some guys on the Supra Forums posted this up. Just wondering if this is true or not.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/23/2302.asp

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1831.asp

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/05/576.asp

Well, I know most of you guys here don't drive Hondas and such. But just wondering how this applies to you modded Lexus guys over in Cali. Is it really that bad or is the article just exaggerating it? Not even sure if these articles are from a reliable source. I don't see any citation of what newspaper it's actually from.

Being ticketed for being at a car meet? Completely bone stock cars that look aftermarket getting ticketed for illegal modifications(namely EVO/STI). That's some straight up BS right there.
Old 04-07-08, 01:50 PM
maximussp
Lead Lap

You don't ever see them hating on muscle cars. I WONDER WHY......
Old 04-07-08, 01:56 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, there are people over here who get ticketed for stock parts (exhaust, HIDs, etc). I don't know what happens after though.
Old 04-07-08, 02:08 PM
KevMMA
Rookie

Wow. That pisses me off. Your at a car meet so automaticly your participating in illegal street racing. I fully understand if they actually bust people for racing, but not for having a car with a modification on it. And crushing someone's car for having "stolen" parts even though he had receipts?
Old 04-07-08, 02:15 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

California doesnt suck, but the rules regarding cars do. Riverside county is probably one of the worse places to take your modded car for a drive. ive noticed the cops there are *******s. They will pull you over for any reason at all, and make up other bs reasons.

we been pulled over for just lookin at cops wrong over there...and when asked what we did, they would make some bs up like no seatbelt or no registration even though the sticker was right freakin there...

they act like gangs i swear, you look at them wrong...you dead.
Old 04-07-08, 02:22 PM
k.r.e.a.m.
Pole Position

man that is absolutely crazy!
Old 04-07-08, 03:03 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

But at the same time, I'm sure the po-pos take a look at the statistics of accidents and deaths caused by street racing or cars that just "happen" to drive off cliffs in the twisties and feel thy have to do something to stop it. Busting up gatherings so people don't one-up or start to push each other for new ideas seems like a way.

There's even a subforum here on CL on "racing" stories, of which the large majority really technically illegal as an exhibition of speed violation. Remember BackToTheFuture? Even a burnout from a stoplight can lead to an accident.

I think it's pure wishful thinking to believe that of people who have modded up their cars are just as "safe" as average general public, or even claim that they are "safer" because all those sporty parts improve handling. It's not really the car or carparts, but those are an expression of the owner's mindset. Modded car owners want to race and show off! And they're going to test their skills somewhere, probably on the streets and not at the track.
Old 04-07-08, 03:09 PM
InspiredGS
Pole Position

Thumbs down

A few years back, there was this one sheriffs officer in Cerritos that would give me the most retarded tickets...

1. clear corners (first gen 3.2 TL, factory clear corner, orange bumper lens)
2. stickers
3. wheels too big ticket (18 inch wheels, stocks are 15 so it is illegal)

This particular cop pulled me over about 6 times in 2 months and handed me many citations, but these were the most ridiculous. Others include modified exhaust (Greddy, won in court), modified suspension (took it to CHP and they signed it off about 30 mins from recieving the ticket), no front license plate, etc.. Cop hated me since I contested the tickets and won most of them.

Quick Reply: California: Police Raid Car Enthusiast Gathering, Generate Revenue