Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Test driving new M3 Tuesday

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-08, 11:29 AM
iameric
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Test driving new M3 Tuesday

So I recently went into the BMW dealership here and spoke with a salesman about the new M3 for a good amount of time, I told him how I was looking into a high performance vehicle and that my IS250 was far from what I was looking for. I told him I was considering the IS-F but since the Lexus dealership here got three and sold them all before they hit the lot I wasn't able to test drive one so that option's gone, unless of course they get another one in and let me test drive it. I informed him how I was looking at the new skyline, the new RS5, and of course the M3.
Surprisingly the M3 the dealer got was a manual, it's the first manual car this dealer has gotten this year. He also pretty much spoon fed me the test drive, which of course I gladly took. They're also getting an X6 next friday which I can't wait to see.
I guess my only real options for my next car is either the M3 or the Skyline since I don't know if I could wait for the RS5, or if I really want an IS-F. I normally wouldn't take a car I couldn't test drive before buying it, especially if it was an automatic, but I'm pretty sure I could make an exception for the Skyline.
I can't wait for the test drive, I'll have a good amt of pics to post. Anybody on here driven one yet?
Old 04-05-08, 03:11 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

There are no M3 with slushbox, only with manual gearbox

Originally Posted by iameric
So I recently went into the BMW dealership here and spoke with a salesman about the new M3 for a good amount of time, I told him how I was looking into a high performance vehicle and that my IS250 was far from what I was looking for. I told him I was considering the IS-F but since the Lexus dealership here got three and sold them all before they hit the lot I wasn't able to test drive one so that option's gone, unless of course they get another one in and let me test drive it. I informed him how I was looking at the new skyline, the new RS5, and of course the M3.
Surprisingly the M3 the dealer got was a manual, it's the first manual car this dealer has gotten this year. He also pretty much spoon fed me the test drive, which of course I gladly took. They're also getting an X6 next friday which I can't wait to see.
I guess my only real options for my next car is either the M3 or the Skyline since I don't know if I could wait for the RS5, or if I really want an IS-F. I normally wouldn't take a car I couldn't test drive before buying it, especially if it was an automatic, but I'm pretty sure I could make an exception for the Skyline.
I can't wait for the test drive, I'll have a good amt of pics to post. Anybody on here driven one yet?
Old 04-05-08, 03:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah like cliff said, in the US all m3 are manual right now. i guess that's the first m3 the salesman has seen?!
Old 04-05-08, 07:51 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you talked about the new Skyline, do you mean the new GT-R, or the Infiniti G35/G37? The upcoming R35 GT-R is not a Skyline anymore, Nissan has separated those two lines. The current Skyline is actually the Infiniti G35 sedan or Infiniti G37 coupe in the U.S. Just want to clarify.
Old 04-06-08, 03:59 AM
iameric
Driver

apparently BMW is releasing an automatic version of the M3 it's going to have some kind of dual clutch tranny, I'm sure it'll be similar to the SMG.
and yes sorry when I talk about the skyline I mean the GT-R and I really want the VSPEC but that's just getting a bit too ridiculous.
Old 04-06-08, 06:29 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yes M3 will have a dual clutch 7 speed. It is a $2700 option, I have a feeling it will increase the mpg of the car negating the $1300 gas guzzler tax it has, so effectively the upgrade will cost $1400
Old 04-06-08, 12:23 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

What about the GT-R really makes you so sure that you will enjoy it?
Old 04-06-08, 12:29 PM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

Get the M3.....

It's SICK..
Old 04-06-08, 02:08 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove a M3 on Friday at the dealership. It is SWEET! I only wish that had a tuned 335i to compare it to. The M3 is the best sports sedan I have driven thus far. Lexus made their car to luxury/cush for my taste. The M3 is a race car that is street legal. It is bad ***!

I used to hate on BMW like some others here and say they are all overpriced and all of those other stereotypes. The fact is they make a great car and if you can afford one I think it is the more fun car company.
Old 04-06-08, 02:20 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBull
I used to hate on BMW like some others here and say they are all overpriced and all of those other stereotypes. The fact is they make a great car and if you can afford one I think it is the more fun car company.
These are independent issues, so why are you unable to rationalize their coexistence? I still bash BMW for pricing and horrid service. That doesn't mean I don't think they make great performance cars with superb handling and driving feel.
Old 04-06-08, 04:35 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
yes M3 will have a dual clutch 7 speed. It is a $2700 option, I have a feeling it will increase the mpg of the car negating the $1300 gas guzzler tax it has, so effectively the upgrade will cost $1400
It doesnt entirely wipe out the GG tax but I think it reduces to 1000$ instead of 1300$.
Old 04-06-08, 04:46 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Heck, I still think some of BMWs cars are over priced. I also think some of Lexus cars are over priced. That hasn't really stopped me from buying either though I own both and both will always be among my top brands to choose from.
Old 04-07-08, 11:46 AM
josephlee
Driver

get the GT-R....it'll beat anything on the road...especially those that claim to be the ultimate driving machines
Old 04-07-08, 02:51 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some people don't just want the fastest car for the money. If that were the case than EVO's and STI's would be in every third garage tuned up. It is hard to find a car that isn't more capable of gobs of HP. I like the old Skyline more than this new body. It looks like a weird G35 or something. No doubt the performance kicks *** but it isn't my type of car.
Old 04-07-08, 04:17 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I like the M3, not so much the price, but it is really a great and fun car to drive. It gives you power across the entire powerband, but I cannot wait to feel the GT-R perform.

Quick Reply: Test driving new M3 Tuesday