Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How to beat the cops...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-08, 06:17 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That may actually be coming, cherplex. Cars may soon be electronically governed by GPS to whatever local posted limits were...states and localities would feed that data into the system.

But to be honest, I would be opposed to cars like that.....quite strongly. I may sound anti-speed sometimes, but there is a place for it under some conditions. Sometimes, for safety reasons, you NEED a quick burst of speed, like passing on a two-lane road. Misjudge your distances, under those conditions, and you could have a head-on.

That is often a problem with AWD cars with small, N/A engines and automatics....they are sluggish enough that you have to be very careful passing on two-lane roads.
Yeah, but in these cars you would often decide against passing someone, or doing any other stupid maneuver, while in a V8 car you often get the itch to do something stupid.
Old 04-07-08, 06:39 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The fun is in avoiding

And......

And......

And, ultimately, THIS..........

hence the need for "police avoidance electronic technology" aka radar detectors. oh , and some decent driving skills/training. imagine how many lives would be saved if people had to learn how to actaully drive and avoid collisions. the focus wouldn't be on speed prevention, but driver training. make it a ticketable offense to be doing anything other than driving when in the driver's seat. phones, magazines, newpapers, work reports, makeup, shaving, changing, messing with the kid int eh back seat, etc. all these things i see going on all the time while i'm commuting and they also happen to the be worst driver's on the road. the enthusiast doing 80 is much more safe.
i am much more alert and focused on driving when i'm doing 80 than when i'm stuck doing 60. why? because you have to pay attention when you're going faster. at 60, i find myself falling asleep.

oh wait, never mind. everything i mentioned doesnt make the governments much money, it's much more profitible to focus on giving speeding tickets than keeping people alive through training.
Old 04-07-08, 07:08 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best way is getting a V1 or a passport + knowing when to and when not to speed.
Old 04-07-08, 07:13 PM
Mick
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh I was going to say with a stick....

Jk
Old 04-07-08, 08:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
oh wait, never mind. everything i mentioned doesnt make the governments much money, it's much more profitible to focus on giving speeding tickets than keeping people alive through training.
Speeding tickets and other moving violations, contrary to what a lot of people think, are NOT given out just as a cash cow or revenue machine. If that were the case, licenses would not be suspended or revoked....governments would WANT you to get more and more of them. More tickets would mean more revenue....and there would be no limit.

But, in fact, the system doesn't work that way. Screw up enough times and get enough points (the number, of course, varies state by state), and you'll have no valid license at all. THEN how much money will the state be getting from you in traffic fines? Nothing.....unless you are jaywalking.

The very fact that the state pulls licenses from chronic speeders and red-light runners proves that the ticket buisness, in general, is not simply revenue-driven, but a safety issue.

Of course, once in a while, there are unscrupulous or corrupt speed traps set up under conditions that are unfair or unreasonable........Car & Driver magazine did an article about a corrupt town in Ohio that did that. They primarily target outsiders or tourists...people that won't be around long enough to lose their licenses. I certainly don't defend that kind of action, but, in general, that is the exception (very minor exception) rather than the rule.
Old 04-07-08, 08:48 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

I actually have a friend that has a V1 and a Radar blinder on his Porsche and one time we were on out way too the airport to pick up someone and we were running kind of late so he was doing about 100 in a 70 and a Po Po (Police) was hiding under the bridge and when we passed him in that speed he had that confuse look on his face and did not even bother to pull out and catch us (I guess those Blinder does work). That feels so good....haha ^^
Old 04-09-08, 12:53 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RaDaRkInG
The Valentine One is the best at detecting radar and laser.
Ill admit that the V1 is the best at detecting, but the 9500i is very good at detecting and has a far better filter and false alarm system than V1, i personally like in the 9500i i can get rid of x band, also the gps feature is the bomb! so its up to you which is better.