Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My first time driving the ES350, My thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-08, 06:54 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first time driving the ES350, My thoughts

Well Today I took my 2002 GS 300 into service at Hendrick Lexus here in Charlotte, NC & they provided me with an Dark Blue 2007 ES 350 Loaner.

First hand I always loved the ES Series, especially the 2007+ models. I think they have a very nice wide body and a planted heavy look. Since my GS doesnt have bluetooth in it, I tried to pair my phone with the ES's system and the voice activating feature was not all that great. I felt like I was talking clear but apparently the car didnt realize the phrases I was giving so I gave up on that after a while of trying.

The seats were really nice in terms of looks, but I just couldnt get myself comfortable in the car. I feel like the seats in my GS are better because I just feel more secure in them, but I could just be used to my seats so I will let that complaint slide.

Backing up, I could not see anything at all really. Nothing but a big slind spot and it got really annoying trying to merge over and I couldnt see anything. The big Side View mirrors are taking some time to get used to too because I think they are SO big, but I guess that could be a plus.

I dunno if Lexus is under-estimating the 6.8sec 0-60 time but this car felt faster than that. I did floor it and da*n, that thing took off!! I didnt know it was that quick but there is NOTICABLE torque steer which did happen and then I realized that I was in a FWD car. So turning corners hard like I usually do in my GS, I will have to slow down in the ES because it obvious that it didnt like it.

The cabin is really quiet, I forgot how quite Lexus cabin can be because my GS is lowered with stiff sidewall tires plus I have a intake and such so I do hear alot in my GS. But I did like the sounds the ES made when WOT.
But the ES looks weird from the rear with the little 215/55R17 tires. Need something bigger but that may mess up the smooth ride. I didnt hear any engine knocking from the Direct Injection or rattles in the cabin that other people are talking about.

I ABSOLUTLY LOVE THE KEYLESS ACCESS! I used to work at Infiniti and their keyless access sucks compared to Lexus. With Infiniti, you have to push the little button on the door handle. But on the Lexus, I just grabbed the door handle and it opened. I too LOVE how the interior and puddle lamps automatically light up when approaching the car. Thats an awesome feature I think and wish I could do something similar in the GS haha!
But I felt that the interior L.E.D. are not bright enough, it was still very dim inside at night, Had to open the sun visor and let that light bright up the cabin. But I do like how the Driver's footwell is lit up dimmly in orange.
During the daylight, I think the information stating the inside temperature and radio station and such is a little small to read. But I did like the layout of the center stack, very simple and easy to excute.

I have HID in my GS so it was kinda weird driving at night with regular Halogen headlamps. I too thought that the regular headlamps in the ES were going to be auto-leveling, but guess I was wrong.

I'm only 21, and If I had the choice, I would most defintely buy the ES350 and just deal with the FWD Layout, but I will have to have heated seats. (Cant live without them) I like the IS 250/350 alot but I drive people around and the back seat in the IS isnt enough room with all the people I haul around and the new GS is a little to expensive for me.
Old 04-08-08, 07:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AJL0365
But the ES looks weird from the rear with the little 215/55R17 tires. Need something bigger but that may mess up the smooth ride.
While not hard-core sport-sedan-like, the ride on this car is NOT smooth when you compare it to the taller, 60-series tires and softer suspension of its predessor ES330.....the difference is noticeable. Lexus abandoned the smooth ride of its predessor and went after sharper steering response with the 350. It also tossed the superb ES330 interior and dash-wide wood trim for the cheaper ES350 interior.....and dash rattles. All of this has been the source of numerous owner complaints with the 350.
Old 04-08-08, 08:02 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

overall, the new ES looks better than the 330 on the outside. many will not dispute that. however, yes, inside is more cheap, buts its still a lot of car for that price

the interior looks a lot better with the navigation.
Old 04-08-08, 08:10 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While not hard-core sport-sedan-like, the ride on this car is NOT smooth when you compare it to the taller, 60-series tires and softer suspension of its predessor ES330.....the difference is noticeable. Lexus abandoned the smooth ride of its predessor and went after sharper steering response with the 350. It also tossed the superb ES330 interior and dash-wide wood trim for the cheaper ES350 interior.....and dash rattles. All of this has been the source of numerous owner complaints with the 350.
Yeah I have driven the ES330 before and it was way smoother and quieter than the ES350. But thats not to say that the ES 350 isnt quiet or smooth. But the ride was better before. I too liked the previous cabin of the 2002-2006 ES models and felt like the ES 350 is a serious downgrade in terms of materials and quality feel from the ES 330. Yes Lexus cheapen up the cabin with the materials and the major loss of wood panels across the dash and instrument cluster, and I hate how the base models which I did have, the area where the seat heater switches are suppose to go, how it feels.

The glove box for one is flimsly! Pressed the button to open it and it just feel open & when I closed it, it felt very weak & light.
Old 04-08-08, 08:26 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I just recently took a test drive of an ES350 with my dad because was looking for a replacement for his 93 toyota camry. I was severely disappointed in the car's interior quality. My father said he rather have my 99' GS than the new ES350. Given a choice between a 2001 Lexus ES300 (my favorite) and a 2007 ES350, I rather have the ES300. The interior felt better. Power from the ES300 is more than enough anyways.
Old 04-08-08, 08:30 PM
ISmy350JDM
Pole Position

nice write up review
Old 04-08-08, 08:33 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I've driven the RX330 and the ES350 and found that I enjoy the 3.5L very much. I really like the drive of the ES. The only drawback I felt was the rear window I thought very difficult to see out of.
Old 04-08-08, 08:40 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I've driven the RX330 and the ES350 and found that I enjoy the 3.5L very much. I really like the drive of the ES. The only drawback I felt was the rear window I thought very difficult to see out of.
Yeah it was very hard to see out of, I dunno if all of the Lexus sedans with the L-Finesse design theme are like this, but all it is is one big blind spot with the C-pillars. But I did like the quiet smooth ride it generated, but seat comfort was not so good with me.
Old 04-08-08, 09:03 PM
LexFather

That is a great write up, I am a fan of the ES as well.

Old 04-08-08, 10:12 PM
RXSF

rear view blindspot isnt really a problem when driving, only parking. and that is what the backup camera is for.
Old 04-09-08, 06:33 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSF
rear view blindspot isnt really a problem when driving, only parking.
Yeah, thats how I felt about it.
Old 04-09-08, 04:53 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
rear view blindspot isnt really a problem when driving, only parking. and that is what the backup camera is for.
Well with me, I thought it was a problem because i usually look over my shoulder when driving when trying to merge. Side view mirrors dont show everything so with me, I just look over my shoulder and the C-pillar does get in the way, also when parking.

Just realized it didnt have a Cassette player today when returning the car, and the sunroof sunshade, Lexus should be dissapointed with themselves. That thing felt like it was about to fall out. The one in my 02 GS 300 was WAY more sturdier than that flimsly thing.

The instrument gauges, Its very creaative how Lexus did them. With the Tachometer & Speedometer needles, at the tip of both, it shows like a dim light on each side on the speed and rpm you are going. Its kinda hard to explain but its like its suppose to light up at the end of the needle, but it doesnt but it does on both side so its like the exact RPM and speed you are going. Dont know a better way of saying it.

Had to return the car, so I had to give her up, It was an emotional event , but I was happy to sit back in the seats of my GS again
Old 04-09-08, 05:07 PM
RXSF

oh i understand what you mean by the C pillar when shoulder looking. perhaps you either needed to move the seat forward or more backward.

the cassette tape is slowly being phased out. when cars have them, auto journalists make cracks about the car being a 2007 model, and not 1997. i guess you cant please both worlds. p.s. it comes with cassette tape slot if you get navigation

the sunshade...wow you checked everything lol

the gauges, i know exactly what your saying. the tip of the need actually has a light shining towards the dash, so that it illuminates the tip. very cool looking
Old 04-09-08, 05:07 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The cassette players are being phased out of Lexus models, the new LS does not have them. However IIRC some ES 350s still have them but it depends on the trim level and region. The AUX input works if you want to bring your portable cassette player.
Old 04-09-08, 06:04 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AJL0365
Well with me, I thought it was a problem because i usually look over my shoulder when driving when trying to merge. Side view mirrors dont show everything so with me, I just look over my shoulder and the C-pillar does get in the way, also when parking.

Just realized it didnt have a Cassette player today when returning the car, and the sunroof sunshade, Lexus should be dissapointed with themselves. That thing felt like it was about to fall out. The one in my 02 GS 300 was WAY more sturdier than that flimsly thing.

The instrument gauges, Its very creaative how Lexus did them. With the Tachometer & Speedometer needles, at the tip of both, it shows like a dim light on each side on the speed and rpm you are going. Its kinda hard to explain but its like its suppose to light up at the end of the needle, but it doesnt but it does on both side so its like the exact RPM and speed you are going. Dont know a better way of saying it.

Had to return the car, so I had to give her up, It was an emotional event , but I was happy to sit back in the seats of my GS again
On the Es350, you can get a sunshade as an option. Mine has it. Also, you get a cassette deck if you have a NAV system. Usually, the loaners are base models.

If you like the ES so much, you must check out a UL model with the ML stereo system. Not only do you get an upgraded leather and better sound system, the double sunroof lightens up the interior.

Quick Reply: My first time driving the ES350, My thoughts