Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

One of my co-workers 01' Hyundai Sonata about caught fire!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-08, 09:33 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default One of my co-workers 01' Hyundai Sonata about caught fire!

I know that Hyundais are much better cars now and I was very impressed with a 2006 Sonata that I ALMOST bought last year! Seemed like a high quality car.

Not sure about the 2001s though. My co-worker said that the voltage regulator went out (according to her mechanics) on her car (2001 Sonata) the other night and it was overcharging! She said that it blew out her headlight bulbs and was blowing out the interior lights! She also said that the radio started sizzling and the was pouring out smoke! She said it smelled like burning rubber, but I am assuming it was wires frying. She said the car was working now and even the radio worked. What amazes me is that the car did not catch fire and why in the heck didnt the fuses/circuit breakers protect the cars electrical system, unless higher amp fuses were in place- which I highly doubt. Not sure if this is a common problem on these cars or not. Perhaps just a fluke?

Has anyone else ever heard of this happening?
Old 04-08-08, 10:15 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup had a friend with a Santa Fe catch on fire...and another friend who radio would only work sometimes and occassionally the dash would go out at night.

Cheap crap, thats about all you can say man
Old 04-09-08, 10:13 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
and another friend who radio would only work sometimes and occassionally the dash would go out at night.
Sounds like a first gen ML that my friend had-that was a P I E C E OF C R A P

A recent incident with sister in law's friend hyundai sonata blew water all over under the hood and died on the freeway I had to give her a ride home while her friend waited for AAA with the car.
Could be just a stupid mistake in not tightening the radiator cap???
Old 04-09-08, 10:37 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Sounds like a first gen ML that my friend had-that was a P I E C E OF C R A P

A recent incident with sister in law's friend hyundai sonata blew water all over under the hood and died on the freeway I had to give her a ride home while her friend waited for AAA with the car.
Could be just a stupid mistake in not tightening the radiator cap???
If she just had it serviced then more than likely that could have been the issue. So much for the electronics under the hood
Old 04-09-08, 10:51 AM
kit cat

don't get me started on those Sonatas...

one of my neighbor has a Sonata and the owner left the town over Easter weekend. I had an exam the following Monday and this Sonata's alarm kept on going off every 15minutes for 20minutes straight for over 3 days!!! The police couldn't do anything, apartment complex didn't want to do anything, so I was about to take my torque wrench break the window and pull the fuse off for the horn on that POS. I would have been happy if that car burned down and actually had silence to study.
Old 04-09-08, 11:03 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
If she just had it serviced then more than likely that could have been the issue. So much for the electronics under the hood
Yeah, I asked her if her friend had a recent tune-up and the tech forgot to put the coolant cap back on
Old 04-09-08, 11:08 AM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
don't get me started on those Sonatas...

one of my neighbor has a Sonata and the owner left the town over Easter weekend. I had an exam the following Monday and this Sonata's alarm kept on going off every 15minutes for 20minutes straight for over 3 days!!! The police couldn't do anything, apartment complex didn't want to do anything, so I was about to take my torque wrench break the window and pull the fuse off for the horn on that POS. I would have been happy if that car burned down and actually had silence to study.
^ That's funny. There is this Sonata in our condo parking lot that does that too. And I thought it was an isolated incident. One of my neighbours (I wont tell who s/he is ) got so upset he egged the car, multiple times. Since then, the Sonata owner parked on the furthest corner of the parking lot far away from any condo buildings. I guess the owner felt 'guilty'?

Last edited by SugarRush; 04-09-08 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-09-08, 11:31 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by SugarRush
^ That's funny. There is this Sonata in our condo parking lot that does that too. And I thought it was an isolated incident. One of my neighbours (I wont tell who s/he is ) got so upset he egged the car, multiple times. Since then, the Sonata owner parked on the furthest corner of the parking lot far away from any condo buildings. I guess the owner felt 'guilty'?
it was tempting to just blow it up. egging it...the thought did cross my mind but I wanted the root of the problem gone. I even asked the officer if I drug it out of the aprtment complex if he could tow it as a noise violation...or blow it up with his gun .

And I thought this one was an isolated case also. Are you reading this Mr. Hyundai?? FIX THOSE DAMN ALARMS!
Old 04-09-08, 04:30 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw 2 Hyundais on fire before on the I-5 driving from Socal... the drivers were just on the cell phone watching it burn....
Old 04-11-08, 07:40 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 211 Likes on 172 Posts

we didnt start the fire, but hyundia did
Old 04-11-08, 08:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Well, guys, I won't make any excuses for Hyundai vehicle fires, especially if they aren't related to accident damage, but how many times does this happen on a brand-new (or almost new) Hyundai? Correct...almost never. Yet, it is not rare at all to hear of new (and newer) German-designed cars roasting mashmallows. Just recently, we had a thread here on CL where a brand-new VW R32 on the lot (hadn't even been sold yet) went up from shorted-out dash wiring. A couple of years ago, new BMW's were having engine fires from defective cooling-fan switches.
Old 04-12-08, 03:44 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 211 Likes on 172 Posts

^^ o and the audi r8's
Old 12-06-08, 10:22 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Update- her Sonata is still going and hasnt burned up yet, but its losing its clutch. She paid $2300 to have one put in 6 months ago and its going out again. Hers is rare, because most are automatic.

As far as car fires go from it being the cars fault, I see alot of German cars- such as Range Rovers, VWs, Audis, Porsches and even some Volvos with engine fires. Go on ebay motors from time to time and type in keyword "fire". You see alot of them. Mercedes pretty much excluded- they do not have this issue... (with the exception being that ML - I see alot of those burned)

American cars - speaking of - you see alot of Mopars (Chryslers-Dodges) - even newer ones with engine fires. There was a 2005 Caravan on there with a charred engine.

I found this out when I was looking for a "Firebird" for a friend. I would sometimes just type in keyword "fire" because occasionally it would bring up some that did not show under the regular listing and often was the time you would see one of these burned. Most recently, a 2007 Audi with 3400 miles with an engine fire.

Interesting about that VW dash fire.. I thought those mainly had engine fires. Guess its more than engine fires.

Here is a fine example, but this is the first V8 Audi have seen with a engine fire....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/engin...QQcmdZViewItem

MOPAR!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...ayphotohosting

Ut oh, a Toyota fire... very rare!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-...QQcmdZViewItem

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, guys, I won't make any excuses for Hyundai vehicle fires, especially if they aren't related to accident damage, but how many times does this happen on a brand-new (or almost new) Hyundai? Correct...almost never. Yet, it is not rare at all to hear of new (and newer) German-designed cars roasting mashmallows. Just recently, we had a thread here on CL where a brand-new VW R32 on the lot (hadn't even been sold yet) went up from shorted-out dash wiring. A couple of years ago, new BMW's were having engine fires from defective cooling-fan switches.
Originally Posted by jmd93
^^ o and the audi r8's
Old 12-06-08, 11:47 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you pay for what you get... isn't that a old saying already???..