Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi exec hints at lightweight R8 and TT ‘Sport’ models

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-08, 10:13 PM
LexFather

Post Audi exec hints at lightweight R8 and TT ‘Sport’ models

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/s...t-sport-models

BMW has enjoyed some success with its CSL range of stripped out ready-to-race M3s and Mercedes-Benz is on the verge of delivering its third lightweight Black Series model. That leaves the third major German carmaker, Audi, who will soon offer uprated sports versions of its regular production models. Speaking at a recent press event Audi’s quattro development chief Stefan Reil hinted that lightweight versions of the R8 supercar and TT were being considered.

Still in the works are high-performance RS versions of both the R8 and TT as well as a possible R8 V12 TDI but according to Reil Audi could also offer new ‘Sport’ derivatives of both cars with extra power and less weight. This wouldn’t be the first time Audi developed such a car. Back in 2005 it released a limited edition TT quattro Sport to mark the end of production of the previous generation TT. The car had a slight increase in power over the standard model as well as firmer suspension, a stripped our interior and Recaro bucket seats.

“This is the direction you can go and make business,” Reil explained. “It makes sense for the TT, and maybe in the future in an R8.”

The upcoming R8-RS is tipped to receive the 580hp twin-turbo V10 from the new RS6, and if given an extensive weight saving program the car could easily become the new benchmark for ultra-performance supercars.

Old 04-09-08, 01:23 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nissan GTR better watch out!!
Old 04-09-08, 03:39 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

mid-engined + TTV10 + DSG + ~250kg reduction = amazing

If there's any complaint I had about the R8, it's that it's too heavy (yes, I know it does pretty well for a 4WD). But if they could bring this down to around F430 base weight with the 4WD, twin turbo, and the transmission, that'd be a really impressive car.

I wonder how much they'll add to the cost, though.
Old 04-09-08, 02:48 PM
LexFather

They need to lose the AWD to make them truly light weight. Otherwise, I like what Audi continues to do.

Old 04-09-08, 04:00 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The TT is already "light in the loafers"
Old 04-10-08, 12:06 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
They need to lose the AWD to make them truly light weight. Otherwise, I like what Audi continues to do.
Agreed. While 4WD is one of Audi's attempts to be unique and a big part of their overall marketing, I wouldn't be opposed to the MR layout. It's not like there is any MR competition at that price point anyway, so it's not like the 4WD is necessary to distinguish the vehicle.