Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Special Review: 2008 Lexus IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-08, 10:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Thanks for the review of the IS F.
You're welcome.

You did a very well job as always. One question, do you think in your opinion that the IS-F and hopefully other future F models will be around for a long time?
Among die-hard Lexus performance fans, yes....even if they have to resort to used models. Among the not-so-die-hard, I think it will depend on gas prices, gas-guzzler taxes, the performance of those cars against their competitors (primarily BMW), and how well the engineers are able to adapt the F-series to new CAFE mileage rules.

The IS-F, for example, does very well against comparable BMW's except for the rough-road ride.
Old 04-10-08, 10:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rai
how did it compare to the 335i? I know this is a good bit more powerful, but the 3-series with most options is at or near $50K so how does that stack up to the ISF?
You know from past threads and posts that I have a very high opinion of the non-NAV/non-I-Drive 335i, its questionable electronics and durability aside. In my area (DC-MD-VA) with, its sometimes smooth, sometimes lousy roads, I'd take the 335i Steptronic over the IS-F as a daily driver, mostly because of its somewhat lower price, better rough-road ride, telepathic-feel steering, and abundant power....though, of course, the IS-F outruns it at higher RPMs. I would be even MORE likely to look at a 335xi AWD model, even with the added price, weight, and drag. However, if the weather was mild all year and the roads were smooth, like in, say FL or SoCal, I'd serously consider an IS-F...its general build quality, paint job, interior leather, and comfortable seats all speak well of it...as its near-BMW chassis and steering feel on smooth roads.

As to the question of 335i vs. M3 vs. LS-F, that's a tougher one. You know (also from previous posts and threads) that I feel the 335i is a bargain compared to the old M3. The new M3? Possibly (I know you have your feelings on that), but I can't say for sure until I have driven a new M3....it is on my review list, but it will be tough to find unsold ones.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-10-08 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-10-08, 01:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next scheduled reviews, depending on availability:

Pontiac G8 GT
Mercedes C63
BMW M3.
Old 04-10-08, 04:27 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have test driven the M3 twice it's very nice, but as you point out it's not for everyone. It has adjustable suspension so it's not rock hard, but the soft (comfort) setting would be where the sport suspension is on the 335i

It's not the type of car to buy if you are looking for the best value or if you need 365-days a year in this local. But I do have a Subaru Legacy for the winter.

Cars like the M3 you can not look at the dollars or the comfort alone, I feel it's more of a near-Corvette in performance but that also brings some bad things like poor fuel economy and less than the perfect ride over rough roads.

But, I do think there is a place for various cars, I mean some would rather save and get a 335i or IS350 or some would rather spend 30% more for 15% more performance but then stand out a bit more with a M3 or ISF.

The M3 while being a high-rpm engine and while it has overall less TQ than the ISF, but the M3 has very generous TQ-spread with an even lower peak-TQ rpm meaning at 3800 (I think) it and like 80% TQ all through the rev range.
Old 04-10-08, 05:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rai
I have test driven the M3 twice it's very nice, but as you point out it's not for everyone. It has adjustable suspension so it's not rock hard, but the soft (comfort) setting would be where the sport suspension is on the 335i
The 335i's Sport package, though far from a Lincoln Town Car, is a suspension I can easily live with on not-so-smooth roads, even though, in general, I like a cushier ride. BMW engineers really know how to combine ride, handling, and steering precision...no other mas-production car company in the world, IMO, can equal them. The IS-F comes close in the handling/steering department, but only on smooth roads.

It's not the type of car to buy if you are looking for the best value or if you need 365-days a year in this local. But I do have a Subaru Legacy for the winter.
I agree with you.....Ms are definitely not snow bunnies. One more reason to consider a 335.....the xi AWD option. But, with AWD, nobody does it like Subaru. BMW wrote the book on chassis engineering . Subaru wrote the book on how to do inexpensive, efficient AWD. (I have an Outback myself).

Cars like the M3 you can not look at the dollars or the comfort alone, I feel it's more of a near-Corvette in performance but that also brings some bad things like poor fuel economy and less than the perfect ride over rough roads.
The Corvette, at least in the lower-cost versions, in some ways outdoes the M3 in bang for the buck, has a fiberglass body that doesn't rust or dent, is more of a traditional sports car, and has many more local dealerships, but, of course, lacks interior space and the flexibility of a rear seat.

But, I do think there is a place for various cars, I mean some would rather save and get a 335i or IS350 or some would rather spend 30% more for 15% more performance but then stand out a bit more with a M3 or ISF.
The IS350 is a nice car, has better build quality/reliability, a richer leather interior, and a better paint job than the 335i, but otherwise, IMO, (at least under the conditions I drove it) cannot compete with the 335i's torque, steering, and chassis engineering. It also lacks the 335i's manual transmission and AWD options.

The M3 while being a high-rpm engine and while it has overall less TQ than the ISF, but the M3 has very generous TQ-spread with an even lower peak-TQ rpm meaning at 3800 (I think) it and like 80% TQ all through the rev range.
Yes, to some extent. I haven't personally sampled the new M3's V8 yet....I'll take your word on that. But I was very impressed with the 335i's twin-turbo performance. It's hard to imagine the M3 being that much quicker.

The IS-F, to some extent, also seems to have a high-RPM engine. Peak torque of 371 ft-lbs. comes at 5200 RPM, high for a V8....and the torque curve is not particularly flat. You'll note in my review that I mentioned that the torque....and exhaust note.....was mediocre until just short of 4000 RPM or so, then both the power and noise come on with a bang.....so much so that I had to back off quickly before I went too high on the RPM with a brand-new engine. It appears to be the way the computerized fuel-injection is set up.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-11-08 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-10-08, 07:31 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

I want to love this car, but that whale hump nose and stacked exhaust just rub me the wrong way...plus sport oriented sedans should really have a manual...
Old 04-10-08, 10:41 PM
LexFather

Mike,
Sorry for the tardiness, great review mahn!!! I do agree the wire mesh grill doesn't look at good as the stock grill. I do want to point out the black leather does seem all black but if you look very very closey at the dimples in the leather, there is actually a blue outline in every single dot. I missed that detail until last Friday, when I noticed it upon looking VERY closely.

The 8 speeds, I am also starting to believe is overkill in a sporting car. I find myself totally forgetting I had 6 speeds in the IS 250. Driving the IS-F/GS 460 on the track, you never really get past 4th gear but its a lot of tapping around town.

I agree the paint job is superb as any Lexus.

As for the price, it seems in AMERICA, the Germans declared war on the IS as their prices in Europe are higher. However, with all the IS has, I just cannot see it being any cheaper that a 56k base, which IMO is a very good buy.

Wasn't the sound quite intoxicating, especially when the dual intake opens up?

Old 04-11-08, 06:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE]=1SICKLEX;3437325]Mike,
Sorry for the tardiness, great review mahn!!! I do agree the wire mesh grill doesn't look at good as the stock grill.[QUOTE]

Thanks.

Yes....and the LS-F grille is cheap plastic. The last-generation Cadillac CTS had, IMO, the nicest wire mesh grille of all (a real wire metal one).....totally unlike the cheap trim and hardware parts on the rest of the car. The new CTS has a plastic one....but you know yourself it is a better car.

Lexus may have skimped a little on the plastic grille on the LS-F, but, however, they more than made up for it in the paint job, interior leather, and front seats.

I do want to point out the black leather does seem all black but if you look very very closey at the dimples in the leather, there is actually a blue outline in every single dot. I missed that detail until last Friday, when I noticed it upon looking VERY closely.
Supposedly, it has blue stitching, but, yes, you have to have a microscope to see it.

The 8 speeds, I am also starting to believe is overkill in a sporting car. I find myself totally forgetting I had 6 speeds in the IS 250. Driving the IS-F/GS 460 on the track, you never really get past 4th gear but its a lot of tapping around town.
4th on the track? You must have been turning some RPM's. I, of course, couldn't do that with a brand-new engine...but I took it up to about 5K or so. When that secondary fuel injection kicks in between 3500-4000, the noise and speed come on fast.

I agree the paint job is superb as any Lexus.
The Matador Red, especially, outdoes even Pamela Anderson.

However, with all the IS has, I just cannot see it being any cheaper that a 56k base, which IMO is a very good buy.
Like I said earlier, I'd still take the 335i for rougher roads, or the 335ix for slick roads, and save some $$$. The 335i's twin-turbo six, though not quite as fast as the IS-F, has all the power I'd ever want...and more. Given the price that new M3's are likely to actually sell for (the one parked next to the 335i I reviewed at the dealership was 70K....with a possible markup as well), I agree the LS-F is probably a better buy at 57K (base)....and the Lexus shop, as I stated in the review, offered me the IS-F I drove at list price (no markup).

Wasn't the sound quite intoxicating, especially when the dual intake opens up?
That sound is apparantly the result of a lot more gas being shot through the injectors. .....there seems to be a computer reprogramming of the EFI between 3500 and 4000 RPM, where the noise (and acceleration) about double.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-11-08 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-11-08, 07:52 AM
LexFather

Mike,

IMO the IS 350 and 335 already carry handling and speed that easily mock legal speeds on public roads. I think the "status" of owning a "F" or "M" car sells more to people than their actual merits on many accounts.

Its rarer and gives the owner the top of the food chain for that particular car.

Old 04-11-08, 10:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mike,

IMO the IS 350 and 335 already carry handling and speed that easily mock legal speeds on public roads. I think the "status" of owning a "F" or "M" car sells more to people than their actual merits on many accounts.

Its rarer and gives the owner the top of the food chain for that particular car.
Absolutely. No arguments there. Some people will sell their souls for a little "image".

By the seat of my pants (admittedly, under the limited conditions I drove them) the 335i, with its twin turbos, felt faster and will get you a speeding ticket quicker than the IS350 (it does, in fact, have more torque), but I agree with you that both are more than enough for all sensible driving on a public road. The "M" and "F" badges, as you point out, are more for impressing your friends.
Old 04-23-08, 11:47 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

An EXCELLENT write up Mike!

It's everything I have come to expect from you - direct, detailed, well written and unbiased.

Old 04-24-08, 06:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
An EXCELLENT write up Mike!

It's everything I have come to expect from you - direct, detailed, well written and unbiased.

Thanks, Liz.

I plan, by CL request, to review the Mercedes E63 today...or very soon.