Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TRD readys 504 hp Supercharger for 5.7L V8 engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-08, 03:39 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default TRD readys 504 hp Supercharger for 5.7L V8 engines

High horsepower trucks have come and gone. The SVT Lightning and Ram SRT10 are but two examples, but we miss the GMC Syclone something fierce, as well. Toyota is readying its TRD supercharger for the Tundra, which should help sate those who hunger for extra horsepower in their truck. An employee of Toyota of El Monte, California and member of TundraSolutions.com revealed on his forum that TRD reps brought a Sequoia to his dealership equipped with the TRD supercharger mounted on the large SUV's 5.7-liter V8 – the same V8 in the Tundra. Not only did he say that TRD claimed a rating of 504 horsepower, an increase of 123 over the stock engine, but he also got the opportunity to ride shotgun while one of his fellow employees took it for a road test. He even brought back the above picture as proof. Visit the Tundra Solutions forum to see the details of the kit and read about the test drive.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/10/s...04-horsepower/

Originally Posted by jkchang
The kit is complete and is just awaiting the final paperwork to go through. This has already passed the smog testing :bow: :bow: :bow:

From what I remember, the kit includes:

-Upgraded High-Pressure Injector Set

-Upgraded Fuel Pump

-LTR (Low Temp Radiator-- aka INTERCOOLER-- instead of having piping to send the compressed air to the intercooler and then into the engine, this ingenious one has 2 sections: 1 "Intercooler" looking piece that has coolant in it and a second piece in between the intake box and blower. It cools incoming air by approx 20 degrees in the 1GR-FE Tacoma/FJ version. The supercharger type is infamous for running hot though... so that's the reason an intercoolerish device was included)

-Coolant pump for the LTR

-Spark Plug Set

-Reflash is now done through the TechStream tool. No strange tool is required for the reflash (as previous seen on the tC charger). This translates into more dealers willing to do the install since no special tools are required

-I'll add more as I remember

-----------------

So TRD comes by for a meeting today. We discuss a few future products, and some other ideas we've tossed around in regards to educating the general public about vehicles (forced induction/suspension/etc).

So after about 45 minutes, they mention that their 5.7L 3UR-FE V8 Sequoia is sitting outside... and uttered my favorite words: SUPERCHARGED

After we finished talking about stuff(s) -- including an xB2-related item --, we head to the truck. By the looks of it, you would have never guessed it was supercharged. It's a simple Desert Sand Mica (aka "Gold" or "Champagne") Limited grade sporting a 5.7L i-Force logo.

Once the hood is popped, my Blackberry rang...
"Where are you?"
"Outside with TRD"
"WHERE?!"
"You know about the supercharger huh?"
"WHERE?!"
"Look at your 2 o'clock"
"I'll be there in a sec" -- and he runs to me

This was our resident Sequoia freak. He was excited about TRD coming... as he was excited about hearing they had the 5.7L supercharger on the lot... and he almost creamed himself when he saw it was mounted inside a Sequoia.

The supercharger was installed along with the TRD Cold Air Intake. The supercharger was dyno'd (officially with witnesses through the new SAE J1394-or whatever it is-standard) at 504 hp (didn't mentioned if it's RWHP, I think it's BHP).

We (myself and Joseph) are admiring the awesomeness of the charger... and then we hear the words: "Do you want to take it out?"---- "OK" and it begins. I let Joseph drive it since he's the resident Sequoia freak/truck guy. I'm a car guy, so it's not too up my ally (except for the ridiculous power).

For anyone that has been to Longo to test drive a vehicle, you know our usual test drive route (exit turning right, right on Peck Road, right on Ramona, right onto the 605S, bear right to the 10W, right off on Peck and a final right turn into the dealership). There is a portion of the route that is under construction, so no vehicles are present. Of course, we took it to that area for our first test.

When driving the N/A 5.7L Tundra at WOT, you get the usual push into the seat. It's quite impressive and smooth. With this charger, you get that feeling for the first 1000 rpm... after that, you feel the increasing pressure against the skin on your face. It's almost as if someone is pulling your skin back (very lightly). On our test, we got the truck up a a nice __can't post the #__ mph. We didn't realize it since we were giddy as kids in a candy store; the Sequoia had quiet a smooth ride.

When we finally got on the freeway, we let it loose. If anyone has driven a 400 rwhp supra, you would know the feeling: It is scary fast. Since the interchange came up so quickly, we didn't get to go too overboard with it =[

We decided to jump on the streets instead. This is where we appreciated the whine. At idle, the engine is as quiet as can be. Once you hit about 1200 RPM, you start to hear a slight whine. At 4000 rpm, it is screaming and it shifts gears before you know it (damn short gears!).

-----------------

It was a very short drive (about 15 minutes), so I can elaborate much more. I'll entertain a Q&A though =P

I'll clean up the info and make it more coherent. That's my drawing board of thoughts up there... lol

-----------------

Here are a few pics first =P The fat head in one of the pics is Joseph (another parts guy)

I didn't take any exterior pics (standard Limited grade Sequoia), so the CAI is the only thing to show it's a 5.7L (the stupid nub on the corner of the airbox... lol)

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...ercharged-5-a/
Old 04-10-08, 03:52 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

What people have been asking for. Nice to see they are producing it.

Would be even better you can get it from the factory like that.
Old 04-10-08, 04:06 PM
josephlee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cant see any pic of the car itself...might be an old model
Old 04-10-08, 04:34 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

From the little bit of the headlights in the 3rd pic, and mainly the new window wiper design, you can identify that it's the new gen Sequoia/Tundra
Old 04-10-08, 04:37 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, now my office lady saw it, and she wants it!
Old 04-10-08, 04:45 PM
xioix
Racer

Wow a 500hp LX, Land Cruiser, Tundra, Sequoia, are now possible

I wonder if my cousins husband through that on his Tundra
Old 04-10-08, 05:07 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

504 hp LX would be awesome.

I wonder how the gas mileage is with the added like 120 hp.

One thing they should have LX-F with this plus add the 8-speed *drools*

Mercedes would be ****ting in their pants seeing their G-Class (G63) would be finished.

Last edited by JessePS; 04-10-08 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-10-08, 06:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I dont see no supercharger in there....
Old 04-10-08, 07:28 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
You're kidding right?
Old 04-10-08, 07:32 PM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

So... any questions you want answered? =P
Old 04-10-08, 07:41 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
It's right in the middle of the engine bay with the word TRD on it..
Old 04-10-08, 08:54 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

LOL this particular vehicle was at Longo Toyota in El Monte, CA the other day. The pics were taken by my friend who is an employee of Longo.
Old 04-10-08, 09:15 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JessePS
504 hp LX would be awesome.

I wonder how the gas mileage is with the added like 120 hp.

One thing they should have LX-F with this plus add the 8-speed *drools*

Mercedes would be ****ting in their pants seeing their G-Class (G63) would be finished.
Why would it be "finished" when it is also producing HP figures north of 500?
Old 04-10-08, 09:54 PM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

It's confirmed for Tundra and Sequoia fitment kits. I haven't heard anything in regards to hitting the Land Cruiser or any of the Lexus series (yet).

Hopefully Lexus will never make a LX-F. It wouldn't make any sense, lol. I think BMW touched on making M-series SUVs... and withdrew the idea (forgot where I read that). Mercedes is probably only doing the G-Wagon because their customer base would likely purchase an AMG version over the standard one.
Old 04-10-08, 10:14 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Whats wrong with a GX-F or LX-F?

Mercedes makes sports SUV and so does BMW and Audi, and Porsche and Range Rover obviously. It would be a great idea!

Quick Reply: TRD readys 504 hp Supercharger for 5.7L V8 engines