Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just got a speeding ticket :-(

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-08, 12:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
I think he is hiding something... Like you said, the cops hardly mess with you when you go 7 mph over. Hell, I *always*, I mean literally ALWAYS drive 9 mph (sometimes 10 mph) ABOVE speed limit (except for school zone) in the streets and no cops..I mean NO COPS EVER mess with me. Sometimes I see a cop and he sees me and I still drive 9 mph above. He doesn't mess with me. I'm telling ya, 9 mph is a treat....

I live in Indianapolis and Noblesville area in Indiana. No cops mess with meeeeeeeeeeee. This ain't fair!

lolz
not really, when i was at traffic school, someone was there for 40 in 35
Old 04-12-08, 12:14 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Somehow I dont think speed28 expected a thread backfire
Old 04-12-08, 12:59 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
lol....thats what I thought too. he dont even say a word after first post...

suck it up speed28, look @ the bright side....it's better that a free ride to police station
Old 04-12-08, 02:16 AM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully, he'll follow the methods I outlined for him and see who'll be laughing then. I've defended a speeding ticket three times and won them all so far. Though, I have admitted to speeding once (90 on a 65) when I first got my Z. I was honest w/ the officer and he wrote me down for 80 on a 65 instead. The fine was $135 and I paid it w/ no hesitation since it was in another county. To me, it wasn't worth driving back and forth to the county courthouse to dismiss $135.
Old 04-12-08, 04:21 AM
Ned Vo
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default re: how to beat your ticket

1. Sign the ticket to requests hearing
2. During this time, do not get pulled over cuz it will show in your record
3. Wait for your hearing from the mail
4. Make sure you show up on time and dress semi formal
5. Admit your mistake Never Reason with the Clerk
6. Hoping you're one of the peoples are being dismissed

All of these above ONLY applied to those whom has CLEAN driving record only.
everyday, up to 50% of the citations are being dismissed.....why? Let say the ticket was $ 180.00. It would cost the system minimum of 4 hrs overtime paying the Officer. That would be over $200 just for 4 hrs here in Massachusetts. You do the math. Another chance, most Officers are family oriented, having kids, pain the butt spouse(s), going to court is the last thing on their minds. Unless its a series cases.

On your case, I think its hard to beat. You were clocked at 90mph. In my 10 yes career as a patrolman, Gang Detective, or some call us as Cop, I haven't written any ticket for less than 15 miles over the limit. I quite often give out warnings. In my state, two warnings equal to one citation. Take caregiys and girls.... Please drive carefully!!! Nice Cop from Massachusetts.
Old 04-12-08, 04:39 AM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I was driving drunk and crashed my car. I got arrested and I have to pay $3000 in fines on top of fixing my car. Man, California must be desperate for money. lol clown
Old 04-12-08, 06:11 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a speeding ticket last night. The cop claims he clocked me doing 80 in a 45. I'm taking traffic school online right now!!! An hour and a half to go and now $165 dollars poorer. Looks like it's time to get a radar detector.
Old 04-12-08, 06:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ecr527
I just got a speeding ticket last night. The cop claims he clocked me doing 80 in a 45. I'm taking traffic school online right now!!! An hour and a half to go and now $165 dollars poorer. Looks like it's time to get a radar detector.

You guys never learn, do you? With a radar detector, they'll get you with Instant-On. And detectors themselves are illegal in some states......not many, but a few.

If you are going to take Traffic School 101, at least LEARN something. Slow down.

And $165 is nothing. In my state (VA) you would pay some REAL fines.
Old 04-12-08, 06:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Look, we're not trying to beat him over the head with a club....that's not our place. We're not cops, and we're not traffic court. We don't write tickets or pull licenses. But if you do something dumb, and your CL colleagues point it out to you, and, most important, if you LEARN from it, and stay at least reasonably close to speed limits in the future, you will save yourself a LOT of trouble in the future.

What matters, from now on, is not what speed28 says, or answers, but what he DOES.
Old 04-12-08, 06:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

If speed28 had a CL sticker on the car maybe the police will look here for evidence.
Old 04-12-08, 07:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
If speed28 had a CL sticker on the car maybe the police will look here for evidence.

I'm sure that more than one CL-bannered member has looked out the window to a nice, friendly face:

Old 04-12-08, 09:22 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because I travel for work, I have witnessed too many accidents. I jump out of my car and help the injured. I call 911, I have even gone to court as a witness. Seeing people trapped in their vehicle going into shock is not a pretty sight. Any many times it is the innocent person who is hurt the worst.

One of my co workers also rides an ambulance a few times a week. He tells me stories of injury and death. So many could have been avoided if speed was not a factor.

So, it ain't about making money or the recession. It is about saving lives.

And bottom line, if you are not breaking the law who cares what the police are doing with their speed traps. You won't get caught if you flow with the traffic.
Old 04-12-08, 10:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MD350
Because I travel for work, I have witnessed too many accidents. I jump out of my car and help the injured. I call 911, I have even gone to court as a witness. Seeing people trapped in their vehicle going into shock is not a pretty sight. Any many times it is the innocent person who is hurt the worst.

One of my co workers also rides an ambulance a few times a week. He tells me stories of injury and death. So many could have been avoided if speed was not a factor.

And bottom line, if you are not breaking the law who cares what the police are doing with their speed traps. You won't get caught if you flow with the traffic.

I notice you are in MD...and you say you see a lot of accidents. Are you regularly on the D.C. Beltway? That road is notorious for both speeders and accidents, especially with overloaded trucks going too fast on the sharp-curve sections at I-270 and Rock Creek Park. In addition, it is overcrowded to the point of absurdity.

I generally agree with you, BTW, on the speed-trap issue, but sometimes the general flow of traffic ITSELF is going too fast for conditions.........that's why the D.C. Beltway is such a Mecca of accidents.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-12-08 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-12-08, 10:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
Well unless a vehicle is stationary, 'speed' is always a factor, but what percentage of accidents does your co-worker say are due to excessive speeding?

Plus Maryland is not a state I'd ever speed in because you have speed traps EVERYWHERE, and I believe radar detectors are illegal (which I still think is unconstitutional, just as DC bans guns except for the crooks ).

Must be why when the speed limit went from 55 to 65 on interstates there was no statistically relevant change in highway deaths. Speed is rarely the issue, BAD, AGGRESSIVE, or INATTENTIVE driving is.

Ha! In Atlanta on I-285, I-85, or I-75 you get run over if you go the speed limit!
Old 04-12-08, 10:46 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speed28
Man, California must really be desperate for money (poor economy, housing slump). Cops are everywhere looking for speeders. I just got tagged for going 90 in a 65 zone. Cop said no, no, no and I said I had no idea i was that fast. . Anyone know of a good way to beat a ticket?

Quick Reply: Just got a speeding ticket :-(