Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just got a speeding ticket :-(

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-08, 11:12 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
135? Geez, here in Maryland that would have gotten you a free ride to the police station. Not to mention probably the loss of your license.
I know I know... I need to slow down too... but roads in TX are so stright and flat... it is hard not to...

Actually in TX, speeding over 100 MPH = felony + free ride to jail... That is why I always have couple thousand of Dollar in my toy, just in case I need to bail myself out!!!
Old 04-12-08, 11:22 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I notice you are in MD...and you say you see a lot of accidents. Are you regularly on the D.C. Beltway? That road is notorious for both speeders and accidents, especially with overloaded trucks going too fast on the sharp-curve sections at I-270 and Rock Creek Park. In addition, it is overcrowded to the point of absurdity.

I generally agree with you, BTW, on the speed-trap issue, but sometimes the general flow of traffic ITSELF is going too fast for conditions.........that's why the D.C. Beltway is such a Mecca of accidents.
Yes, I live the burbs of DC and ride 495, 95, 270, you name it.

I guess overall there is no right or wrong answer to going the speed limit or flowing with traffic. But, the bottom line is that we all always see that person in the left lane going much faster than everyone else. That is what I call speeding.

And, I am sure you know that in Montgomery County Maryland, they are putting up speed cameras all over the county. They are popping up left and right. I think that is going to be the way of the future. It is amazing how those things slow people down once they know they are there. I have seen people speed right through them, watch the flash go off, and look at the driver just shaking my head.....they will be getting a love note in the mail in a few weeks...
Old 04-12-08, 04:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Plus Maryland is not a state I'd ever speed in because you have speed traps EVERYWHERE, and I believe radar detectors are illegal (which I still think is unconstitutional, just as DC bans guns except for the crooks )./
Detectors are illegal in VA and DC, not MD. Courts at lower levels have found the detector bans legit and not unconstitutional, because legally, driving is a priviledge, not a right.....though the issue has not (yet) gone to the Supreme Court.

You may be on more solid ground, though, with the complaint about the D.C. handgun ban (I'm opposed to it, too). That argument is now before the Supreme Court, and five Justices, at the hearing, seemed to be symphathetic towards striking it down.....a final decision is expected in June.

Must be why when the speed limit went from 55 to 65 on interstates there was no statistically relevant change in highway deaths. Speed is rarely the issue, BAD, AGGRESSIVE, or INATTENTIVE driving is.

Of course speed is rarely an issue. It's not GOING to be, when many Interstates, much of the time, are like this:

(I'm not saying this to be rude or sarcastic, bit, or to make fun of your comment, just to illustrate a point)

But, gridlock aside, there is no escaping the laws of physics. The faster you travel, the greater the vehicle's stored-up kinetic energy will be (remember high-school science?), the greater the impact force, and the greater the potential for vehicle damage and harm to its occupants. That's why American-market vehicles are only required to withstand NHTSA crash-tests to 30 MPH (IIHS tests them to 35 mph). Anything greater than that, in an everyday production car, is considered unrealistic with today's technology.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-12-08 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-13-08, 04:38 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ReyRey305
I feel your pain, I just came back from court 2day for a speeding ticket... Check this out, I was doing 42 in a 35 , HAHAHHAHA.... And they suspended my license because they screwed up my whole case.... I was in court for 3 hours and they never called my name... Luckily my school (UCF), has free legal services and the lawyer came down and said a few words to the Judge and I was clear to go!!!! You think cops in Cali have nothing better to do, well how about these PIG cops in Central Florida... They hide in bushes with their gay motorcycles and speed guns....
I thought in Florida, statutes don't allow tickets for less than 10 over? Or was it 5 over?

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And $165 is nothing. In my state (VA) you would pay some REAL fines.
Tell me about it. I got a 100 in a 70 ticket driving down I-5 in CA on the way back to Nevada and it ran me $438 or so. The officer was very polite, and actually told me to keep my speed down until I "got back to Nevada". I'm not sure what he really meant by that.
Old 04-17-08, 05:53 PM
speed28
Driver School Candidate

Wow I had no idea this post was going to generate so many responses. The stretch of road I was on was flat and straight. The flow of traffic was going at least 75-80MPH. So if you think i was going really fast, humm...not really. For those of you that live in the bay area, you know how fast you have to drive just to keep up with traffic on 280 in non rush hr. I know this because i travel this road often on my bike. I try to keep my speed in check when i am on my bike because i know how easily my bike can go 100+MPH. When I am cursing 70-75, i c cars pass by me all the time. Now i am just waiting for the ticket and c how much i have to pay.
Old 04-17-08, 06:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by speed28
Wow I had no idea this post was going to generate so many responses. The stretch of road I was on was flat and straight. The flow of traffic was going at least 75-80MPH. So if you think i was going really fast, humm...not really. For those of you that live in the bay area, you know how fast you have to drive just to keep up with traffic on 280 in non rush hr. I know this because i travel this road often on my bike. I try to keep my speed in check when i am on my bike because i know how easily my bike can go 100+MPH. When I am cursing 70-75, i c cars pass by me all the time. Now i am just waiting for the ticket and c how much i have to pay.
if you think any of those could be an excuse, then you are wrong. flow of traffic could be fast, but you are still easily 10mph over the flow of traffic, which are already 15 over.

i don't mean to be disrespect, but its just like my cousin when he comes and tell me his car isn't capable enough coz' every time he goes from LA to san diego, cars are going 80-90mph, and it's "dangerous". i just tell him, "there is slow lane"
Old 04-17-08, 06:26 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Well unless a vehicle is stationary, 'speed' is always a factor, but what percentage of accidents does your co-worker say are due to excessive speeding?

Plus Maryland is not a state I'd ever speed in because you have speed traps EVERYWHERE, and I believe radar detectors are illegal (which I still think is unconstitutional, just as DC bans guns except for the crooks ).

Must be why when the speed limit went from 55 to 65 on interstates there was no statistically relevant change in highway deaths. Speed is rarely the issue, BAD, AGGRESSIVE, or INATTENTIVE driving is.

Ha! In Atlanta on I-285, I-85, or I-75 you get run over if you go the speed limit!
Hell ask any drivers in DFW, if you enter I-35W, I-20 (arlington), I-30, or even TX183 at ANYTHING less than 80 you will get run over. usually traffic flows between 85-95. and the speed limit is 65, in some places, its even lower, but traffic never slows.
Old 04-17-08, 07:52 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by speed28
Man, California must really be desperate for money (poor economy, housing slump). Cops are everywhere looking for speeders. I just got tagged for going 90 in a 65 zone. Cop said no, no, no and I said I had no idea i was that fast. . Anyone know of a good way to beat a ticket?
What is the California Vehicle Code article that the officer wrote you up for (22349 or 22350)? I believe that 22349a is a lot more difficult to get out of.

You might want to talk to a lawyer if a fee is reasonable ($300 or so), but you have no guarantee of winning, just a chance.

If not using a lawyer,
First, get a court date as far into the future as you can (try to postpone court appearance and making a plea, then postpone scheduled trial).
You never know, the cop may not show up.

If the cop shows and your record is clean, I would say take the traffic school.
Old 04-17-08, 08:17 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Hell ask any drivers in DFW, if you enter I-35W, I-20 (arlington), I-30, or even TX183 at ANYTHING less than 80 you will get run over. usually traffic flows between 85-95. and the speed limit is 65, in some places, its even lower, but traffic never slows.
Not so much anymore. I've been able to do 60-65 without getting run over (unless i'm in the far left) and have had to pass cars going 55 or so, Gas prices are taking their toll on DFW.

Every once in a while though you get some cowboy in a big truck, SUV, or V12 luxury car that tears through traffic at 90+

I've seen the 80-90 pace on I-35 between San Antonio and Austin.

Last edited by litesoarer; 04-17-08 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-17-08, 10:25 PM
n8236
Pole Position

I've never gone past 80 in a 65 zone. A friend of mine was caught doing 84.