Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Just got a speeding ticket :-(

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-08, 12:11 PM
speed28
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a speeding ticket :-(

Man, California must really be desperate for money (poor economy, housing slump). Cops are everywhere looking for speeders. I just got tagged for going 90 in a 65 zone. Cop said no, no, no and I said I had no idea i was that fast. . Anyone know of a good way to beat a ticket?
Old 04-11-08, 12:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

err.... you did 90 in 65 right? suck it up, especially if you were clocked

i never like cops, let alone chp. but hey if i did something illegal and got caught, what can i say (and you realize 90 in 65 is pretty fast)
Old 04-11-08, 12:17 PM
MrBruin09
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah that is pretty fast..just pay the ticket, go to traffic school and then move on.
Old 04-11-08, 12:21 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. I could understand if you were going 70 in a 65...but 90? Come on.
Old 04-11-08, 12:46 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by speed28
Man, California must really be desperate for money (poor economy, housing slump). Cops are everywhere looking for speeders. I just got tagged for going 90 in a 65 zone. Cop said no, no, no and I said I had no idea i was that fast. . Anyone know of a good way to beat a ticket?
lmao you said desperate.

No, it was just that fact that you were doing almost 30 over...thats close to a citation bud.

I got pulled over for doing 58 in a 55 once...that is desperate...but that was dismissed in court.

Generally you can get away with 10 over so I cruise at 80-85 in a 65 because it gives me time to slow my *** down at the sight of ole smokey. YOu should do the same.
Old 04-11-08, 12:49 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I blame profiling. Silly cops. Just because someone goes 90 in a 65, the cops automatically assume that person is speeding.
Old 04-11-08, 12:49 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

90 on 65? just eat it man.

I got pull over 2 mon ago, doing 86 on 55 , all I said is : " sorry officer, I deserve a ticket. "
Old 04-11-08, 12:52 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
I blame profiling. Silly cops. Just because someone goes 90 in a 65, the cops automatically assume that person is speeding.
Alright, I had to laugh at that one.

For real though dude, you cant expect the cop to ignore some car the blows by and not expect to get clocked/puled over.
Old 04-11-08, 01:12 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

You wont be able to beat the ticket. You might be able to get the fine reduced if you take traffic school or something.
Old 04-11-08, 01:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I just got tagged for going 90 in a 65 zone. Anyone know of a good way to beat a ticket?
THINK next time before you put that right foot down on a public road....that's how.

And be thankful that, at 25 over the limit, you didn't get a reckless driving charge as well.....you can in some states.

Originally Posted by speed28
Man, California must really be desperate for money
You must be desperate for excuses. Pay the ticket and stop whining.

I'm sorry. I don't like to be blunt, but with your attitude, you generate little sympathy, even among others who have also gotten tickets.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-11-08 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-11-08, 01:38 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

I agree. When I was young, I drove fast. I have kids now. Safety is more important. Just slow it down. An extra 10 mins added to an hour trip can save a life.

Might I add, if someone going 90 hit my car and hurt my kids, need I say more......
Old 04-11-08, 01:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
THINK next time before you put that right foot down on a public road....that's how.

And be thankful that, at 25 over the limit, you didn't get a reckless driving charge as well.....you can in some states.

You must be desperate for excuses. Pay the ticket and stop whining.

I'm sorry. I don't like to be blunt, but with your attitude, you generate little sympathy, even among others who have also gotten tickets.
from a pure speed point of view, only 100+ are considered reckless driving here in CA, and that's no longer infractions. but of course driving condition can affect the decision
Old 04-11-08, 01:51 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have two options:

Option 1.) If you have plenty of time on your hands, such as flexible work hours, fight it! Though, be prepared w/ a strategy. Since it sounds like you admittedly were going 90mph, the only way to win this citation is to hope that the CHP officer doesn't show up during your trial. Here are the steps to do so....
a.) Once you receive your courtesy notice, look at the due date for the fine. Within 1 week before the due date, call the courthouse and ask for a maximum extension on the due date.
b.) Show up to court on the new date and plead not guilty in the courtroom. You will then be told of the next trial date to subpoena the officer. If the judge is nice enough, you can request a date to your liking. As a side note, the CHP might ask for a continuance on the new date. This is their latest counter to people fighting tickets. They can actually request for a continuance three times.
c.) If a continuance is filed, you will get a mail from the CHP indicating that a continuance was requested. However, you still need to show up in court for the 2nd trial. If the judge is an a-hole, he/she will grant the continuance for the CHP and issue a new date. You can also object the continuance if you like, and if the judge is in a good mood, he/she will drop the charges. Though, be prepared for the judge to make a call against you.
d.) Show up at the new trial date and cross your fingers that the CHP officer doesn't show up.

If you really want to pursue this citation, I suggest buying this book: Fight Your Ticket & Win in California by David Wayne Brown. It offers plenty of suggestions that can help you fight your citation. Heck, if you're gonna pay the fine anyway, might as well put up a fight and see what happens.

Option 2.) Show up to court and ask the judge to reduce your fine and if you can attend traffic school. You're eligible for traffic school as long as you haven't had a citation within the last 18 months.

Good Luck!
Old 04-11-08, 02:01 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Actually, the law changed as of 1/01/2008.
going 20 MPH over the speed limit is a FELONY
You got off easy...
Old 04-11-08, 02:03 PM
rwdds
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

It was January, 1984. I had just taken delivery of a brand new, fire engine red, Toyota Celica Supra- the 5-speed sprot coupe, the one that had the totally new, rakish body & rear wing. I was northbound on the PA turnpike at 5:45AM headed to the Poconos for a day of skiing with my business partner. He kept buggin' me to see how fast it would go... there were no other cars.... so I slammed into overdrive and took it up past 130mph. Pegged the speedo at 135 and ZOOMED by a parked PA State Trooper on the side of the highway!

My partner screamed to get off at the next exit and hide but I knew this guy was going to come after me... FAST... so I slowed down and pulled over and put my flashers on. My partner was telling me what an idiot I was, but I didn't care. Long story...short, is that the cop pulled up behind me and after asking how fast I thought I was going, I just told him the truth ("real fast", new car, early morning, no other cars, etc.) He came back 6 minutes later with a pink warning slip and said "slow down and have a good day".

I love cops.

I ended my partnership with that ***** a few months later.

Quick Reply: Just got a speeding ticket :-(