Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford : our quailty is now equal to Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-08, 12:18 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
You know what manufacturer's quality suck? Dodge.

Even till now I still refuse to believe it, maybe its a new feature with cars? You tell me.

I have seen 2 Dodge within a week (dont know the name, but its one of the new models that looks kind of like a hatch/wagon), both of them relatively new judging from their paints... and both of them, when they turn on the turn signal, the headlight on the side of the blinking signal shuts off, and when the turn signal turns off, the headlight comes back on. And I actually had one made a right turn after me after I drove past, and then making a left turn off the road, so I saw both of his headlight does it.

Is that safety feature? Or bad wiring? lol
I agree - I'll never own a Chrysler product. Talk to most any original Neon owner - odds are it had a blown head gasket. Chrysler did nothing about it to help the owners (usually occured out of warranty) .. but a friend who's brother is a Chrysler mechanic said they had like 8 different part numbers for the gaskets (revisions) so it's not like they didn't try to fix it..

As far as the DRL and turn signals goes - I'm pretty sure it's normal. The DRL on that side shuts off so the flashing amber can be seen better. Kind of a goofy design.

I prefer the high intensity amber lights like on the C5 Corvette & last generation Firebird/Camaro - as well as many other GM vehicles. But as far as DRLs go - I'd rather not even have them. I yanked the relay out of my '99 LS to turn them off.
Old 04-14-08, 06:16 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's really a bad design/engineering more than anything else. Like Fords tail lamps using a single red bulb for the entire assembly, combining brake, signal, and backup lights together....it doesn't take much to realize what will happen when that one single bulb goes out.

But the people responsible for them will scratch their heads looking at you saying they don't see what the problem was.
Old 04-14-08, 06:44 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Has Toyota's quality actually fallen? Yes and no...it depends on the individual vehicle and in what area you are talking about. From what I've seen lately, Toyota quality today varies from superb to downright lousy.
based on the number of recalls?

remember Toyota is proactive with issues it finds instead of waiting until vehicles burst into flames and kill people like FORD and only then they are forced to issue recalls by the NHTSA/DOT.
Old 04-14-08, 08:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
based on the number of recalls?
No. Virtually every manufacturer has recalls sooner or later. I'm talking about general build quality. The 2007 Camry, for example, recall or not, IMO can't hold a candle in build solidness to the superb 1992-1996 models.

remember Toyota is proactive with issues it finds instead of waiting until vehicles burst into flames and kill people like FORD and only then they are forced to issue recalls by the NHTSA/DOT.
And a neighbor of mine had a new Tundra (2005 or 2006...I don't remember) that caught fire on the Interstate with just 10,000 miles on it. It only happened to three individual trucks......all from the same dealership, so there was not enough evidence for a national recall.

(He liked the truck so much he replaced it with another one exactly like it...at Toyota's expense, of course. )
Old 04-15-08, 05:43 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

And a neighbor of mine had a new Tundra (2005 or 2006...I don't remember) that caught fire on the Interstate with just 10,000 miles on it. It only happened to three individual trucks......all from the same dealership, so there was not enough evidence for a national recall.

(He liked the truck so much he replaced it with another one exactly like it...at Toyota's expense, of course. )
yes, but remember Ford had issues with vehicles not even running or being occupied and the cruise control shorting out and burning up the vehicle (and garage/house)! You think they did a voluntary recall? hell no!

Last edited by bagwell; 04-15-08 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-15-08, 07:11 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
To me that only matters if you're interested in buying 10+ yr old cars. Brands do get better, and worse.
true. i always have older cars, so that's what i look at. it's a good way to judge how your current new(er) car will look and feel in a few more years though.
Old 04-15-08, 07:22 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

True or not Ford should just shut up about it because, as a marketing strategy, it comes across as somewhat insecure. First, it is a clear admission that their quality hasn't been equal to Toyota's in the past. Plus it seems a concession that Toyota is kicking their butt.
Old 04-15-08, 10:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Any link anywhere to one of these ads? I've not seen any.

One thing Toyota could learn from though is Ford's "SYNC" - great stuff.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/features...ex.asp?id=1645

The refreshed Lexus GS still has a cassette player, right? And no iPod integration even offered?
Old 04-15-08, 03:21 PM
LexFather

Ford IMO, in recent years has built some great built cars inside and out. Their interiors are very underrated, IMO.

However, this is like saying "Ford, our quality is equal to the 2007 Tundra, which is having tons of issues".

I couldn't believe Ford said TOYOTA in the commercial on T.V!!!

Old 04-15-08, 03:26 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Any link anywhere to one of these ads? I've not seen any.

One thing Toyota could learn from though is Ford's "SYNC" - great stuff.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/features...ex.asp?id=1645

The refreshed Lexus GS still has a cassette player, right? And no iPod integration even offered?
They know their target audience
Old 04-15-08, 05:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Ford IMO, in recent years has built some great built cars inside and out. Their interiors are very underrated, IMO.
Yes, some Ford interiors are nice (generally the upper-crust models), but the lower-class models, like the Focus, Escape/Mariner, and Mustang use cheap materials and have, IMO, poor fit/finish. I was especially sorry to see the way Ford did the new Escape/Mariner interior....I was a big fan of the old ones. I still like the mechanics of the new ones, but the interiors are a step down in material quality.

On the other hand, the Five Hundred/Taurus (another Ford model I like) is done pretty nicely inside.

I couldn't believe Ford said TOYOTA in the commercial on T.V!!!
It's fairly common now for auto firms to use each other's names in competitive advertising now. The days when that was taboo are long-gone. Almost all of the makers of mid-sized sedans now take pot shots at the Camry and Accord, for example. Heck, I can even remember some of that from the late 1980's when Nissan was trying to push the Stanza (remember that car?) against the Camry/Accord in radio/TV ads.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-15-08 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-15-08, 08:32 PM
Stormwind
Racer

It's fairly common now for auto firms to use each other's names in competitive advertising now. The days when that was taboo are long-gone. Almost all of the makers of mid-sized sedans now take pot shots at the Camry and Accord, for example. Heck, I can even remember some of that from the late 1980's when Nissan was trying to push the Stanza (remember that car?) against the Camry/Accord in radio/TV ads.
Hyundai likes to do that especaily, it got to a point it becomes annoying to listen to them comparing themselves to Toyota this Honda that you think you were watching sombody elses commercial.