Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Some details leaked on 09 Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-08, 02:46 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Some details leaked on 09 Acura TL

As of late, dealer shows are proving to be a valuable source of insider information. And now, just a few weeks after Honda/Acura's dealer meeting in New Orleans, information has been leaked about the upcoming 2009 Acura TL.

According to a source who attended the meeting, the 2009 Acura TL lineup will consist of two models: a base front-wheel drive car and an up-level all-wheel drive model. The front-driver will be powered by a 280 horsepower 3.5L V6 whereas the AWD model will receive its motivation from a 3.7L V6 producing 300 horsepower.

Despite boasting 300 horsepower and all-wheel drive, the range-topping model will not sport the Type-S nameplate. In fact, the source says that Acura will not offer a Type-S model, at least not in 2009 guise. It remains unclear if the performance model will eventually join the lineup.

Acura has promised us a new TL by the end of the year so a Los Angeles Auto Show reveal seems likely.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/details-...-acura-tl.html
Old 04-13-08, 02:48 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Stuff that anyone of us could have guessed (and did). Lets just hope they dont mess it up like they did with the RL and TSX.

They are one screw up away from me just washing my hands with them.
Old 04-13-08, 02:55 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Damn it honda..move away from the outdated J-series engines. It's not that great if your competitors are making more power out of a smaller engine.
Old 04-13-08, 03:13 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Damn it honda..move away from the outdated J-series engines. It's not that great if your competitors are making more power out of a smaller engine.
The J series engine is what? 11 years old now? I agree, I wish they developed a new engine series for the V6 models. If they keep with a J35 and J37 in the next TL, it will go on for about 15+ years. Too old IMHO especially in todays market. That said, I do like the idea of a 300HP SH-AWD TL. Too bad they don't want to bring out a Type S. I like the idea of a 330 HP SH-AWD TL-S. Maybe for a mid model upgrade?
Old 04-13-08, 03:15 PM
LexFather

I'm so scared they are going to beat it with the usual Honda/Acura ugly stick which has gotten bigger and uglier as of late.

Old 04-13-08, 03:46 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
The J series engine is what? 11 years old now? I agree, I wish they developed a new engine series for the V6 models. If they keep with a J35 and J37 in the next TL, it will go on for about 15+ years. Too old IMHO especially in todays market. That said, I do like the idea of a 300HP SH-AWD TL. Too bad they don't want to bring out a Type S. I like the idea of a 330 HP SH-AWD TL-S. Maybe for a mid model upgrade?
The VQ is 14 years old so its not really the age of the engine that counts but how you develop it. With that said, a 3.7L with only 300hp sounds very un-Honda like. I do think that the TL will now become a HUGE BOAT based on the current accord platform.
Old 04-13-08, 04:16 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If true, nothing surprising. Acura would have surprised by offering the TL standard with AWD. Also, 300HP and AWD will likely mean it will be slower than the current TL.

A lot will depend on the styling of the new TL. If Acura has messed up the styling for the new TL then it could alienate a lot of Acura fans and owners.
Old 04-13-08, 04:26 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I think Acura could be in trouble if the AWD version only has 300hp. The Infiniti G will probably be bumped to 330hp with the new 3.7L and 7-speed tranny and an AWD variant will also be available...perhaps Acura wants to go BIGGER to not compete directly in the entry luxury anymore.
Old 04-13-08, 04:58 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think Acura could be in trouble if the AWD version only has 300hp. The Infiniti G will probably be bumped to 330hp with the new 3.7L and 7-speed tranny and an AWD variant will also be available...perhaps Acura wants to go BIGGER to not compete directly in the entry luxury anymore.
I agree. With AWD, it will likely be slower than even the current G35 AWD sedan. Nissan is very likely to add the 3.7L VQ to the G sedan, and Lexus is soon likely to update the powertrain on the IS. These specs, if combined with questionable styling could make the new TL to be as average and mundane of an offering as the new TSX.
Old 04-13-08, 05:00 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why no Type-S? There is a TL Type-S now out...or maybe they wait till later in the model cycle?
Old 04-13-08, 05:03 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

Hey Acura, get rid of FWD on the TL. Don't even make it an option, just get rid of it.
Old 04-13-08, 05:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by EZZ
The VQ is 14 years old so its not really the age of the engine that counts but how you develop it. With that said, a 3.7L with only 300hp sounds very un-Honda like. I do think that the TL will now become a HUGE BOAT based on the current accord platform.
I believe the new 3.5/3.7 is 80% new. Not sure about the Acura 3.7 I think its slightly revised. Its not impressive having a larger engine than the competition and offering the same/less HP.

Old 04-13-08, 05:19 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

100% chance that the grill will be horrendous.
Old 04-13-08, 05:42 PM
LexFather

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by pvmike1
100% chance that the grill will be horrendous.
Acura and Mazda have shared the same grill/front end/upside down pentagon shape for way too long now. Now both will share the chrome mustache.

Fine for a Mazda but it DOES NOT conjure feelings of anything remotely luxurious, thus Acura has failed.

Old 04-13-08, 06:33 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Lets hope that they don't butcher the design like the other previous models.. i still would rather have the G35 sedan and eventually hope infiniti will offer the 330HP in the sedan.. Than that car will be a beast..

Quick Reply: Some details leaked on 09 Acura TL