Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Lexus L emblem...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-08, 10:23 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Lexus L emblem...

Ive got a stupid question, can you give me an answer thats not stupid. Is the Lexus L actually an L for the word "Lexus", or is it a design? Kind of like if you were to look at Subaru, Chevrolet, or Lotus emblems for instance. Those particular emblems are just designs.
Old 04-14-08, 10:30 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1995LS400
Ive got a stupid question, can you give me an answer thats not stupid. Is the Lexus L actually an L for the word "Lexus", or is it a design? Kind of like if you were to look at Subaru, Chevrolet, or Lotus emblems for instance. Those particular emblems are just designs.
"The Lexus logo was developed by Molly Designs and Hunter Communications.[7][8] The final design for the Lexus logo featured a stylized “L” within an oval, and according to Toyota was rendered using a precise mathematical formula.[6] The first teaser ads featuring the Lexus name and logo, designed by Team One, appeared at the Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York auto shows in 1988."

According to wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus#The_Lexus_brand

And for fun the Toyota logo:
"The current Toyota Mark consists of three ovals: the two perpendicular center ovals represent a relationship of mutual trust between the customer and Toyota. These ovals combine to symbolize the letter "T" for Toyota. The space in the background implies a global expansion of Toyota's technology and unlimited potential for the future."

http://www.dinesh.com/History_of_Log...n_and_History/
Old 04-14-08, 10:32 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is L for Lexus, they came up with the Lexus name first and then had a series of emblems developed, the initial leading entry was a seagull-shaped "L" but then Molly Designs created a more jewelry-styled "Circle-L" design which Lexus execs unanimously agreed was the right choice. The final design utilized the specific point formula for different foci on the circle.
Old 04-14-08, 11:24 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

seagull-shaped "L" ? ... this is didn't know about ... anyone have any images of that one?
Old 04-14-08, 11:33 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
seagull-shaped "L" ? ... this is didn't know about ... anyone have any images of that one?
IIRC, it's in The Lexus Story on the page that talks about the logo itself.
Old 04-15-08, 12:58 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1995LS400
There's quite a good site on the history of car logos:

http://gawlowski.com/matt/cars/car_logos.html

For instance the Subaru 6 star logo is not just a logo it stands for:

Subaru was the first Japanese company to use a name derived from its own language, and that name is reflected in its logo. The name refers to a group of six stars in the constellation of Taurus (we refer to them as the Pleiades). It also stands for the Japanese word for "unite" apparently.
Old 04-15-08, 05:22 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by encore888
It is L for Lexus, they came up with the Lexus name first and then had a series of emblems developed, the initial leading entry was a seagull-shaped "L" but then Molly Designs created a more jewelry-styled "Circle-L" design which Lexus execs unanimously agreed was the right choice. The final design utilized the specific point formula for different foci on the circle.
Lexus really didn't have to come up with their name as it has been an acronym from the very beginning.

LUXURY EXPORT U.S.
Old 04-15-08, 06:08 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Lexus really didn't have to come up with their name as it has been an acronym from the very beginning.

LUXURY EXPORT U.S.
That's an old myth that I believe has been put to bed many times before on this forum, not only because the brand was never meant solely for the US and was launched in Europe within the year.

But just in case; In 1986 a master list of 219 potential names was compiled by New York based consultancy Lippincott & Margulies. These names were narrowed down to five: Alexis, Calibre, Chaparel, Vectre and Verone. The only name that everyone agreed on was Alexis, however that name had aquired a bit of a dubious reputation because of a character in Dynasty. In the end one of the project managers scratched out the "a" and replaced the "i" with a "u" and Lexus was born.

The above is courtesy of Lexus - The Relentless Pursuit by Chester Dawson, a cracking whodunnit in the style of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle that keeps the reader page turning till the dramatic plot twist at the end.*

* That last bit may not be true.
Old 04-15-08, 06:21 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

The current Toyota Mark consists of three ovals: the two perpendicular center ovals represent a relationship of mutual trust between the customer and Toyota.

in light of my recent experience...this is laughable...
Old 04-15-08, 06:14 PM
proximal
Driver

Originally Posted by Koma
And for fun the Toyota logo:
"The current Toyota Mark consists of three ovals: the two perpendicular center ovals represent a relationship of mutual trust between the customer and Toyota. These ovals combine to symbolize the letter "T" for Toyota. The space in the background implies a global expansion of Toyota's technology and unlimited potential for the future."
It sounds like someone wanted to take the rest of the day off so they phoned it in and had to explain it to their boss later.
Old 04-16-08, 06:27 AM
Danimal
Lead Lap

Molly Design also developed the Turbo 6 emblems that went on Buick Grand Nationals. Just thought you'd like to know.
Old 04-16-08, 09:55 AM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

The Lotus emblem is the initials of the founder "Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman" a.k.a. Colin Chapman
Old 04-16-08, 10:09 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I learn more facts on CL than I do in my daily life. Thanks guys!
Old 04-16-08, 02:01 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

I think it is just because it is Lexus
Old 04-18-08, 10:20 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always thought of it as an "L" for Lexus. Makes sense because 1990 was the model year Lexus was released as (came out for sale in late 1989). That was the same year (the 1990 models) that Toyota started using that little "circular" T for its emblem. I think it came out on the 1990 Camry first... then slowly made its way to the other models and was on all Toyota models by 1992. Strange they did it that way.

Celica, 4-Runner and trucks did not have it until 1992 if I am correct. Not sure what year they started using it on the Tercel, Corolla or Cressida... at least by 1992.

Quick Reply: The Lexus L emblem...