Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla Motors sues Fisker over stolen secrets

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-08, 10:16 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tesla Motors sues Fisker over stolen secrets

esla Motors can't seem to keep itself out of the press, can it? The newest flare-up concerns rival Fisker and claims that the automaker has stolen trade secrets and copied design concepts. In a lawsuit filed Monday by Tesla, the carmaker accuses Henrik Fisker -- whom the company had hired to design its WhiteStar sedan -- of accepting the work to "gain access to confidential design information and trade secrets." The company alleges that Fisker then used that knowledge to launch a competing vehicle, and believes Fisker has implemented its range-extended vehicle (or REV) technology in the recently introduced Karma. "I think it's ironic that Fisker chose to name his car the Karma, when what he's done is very bad karma," said the company's lawyer. Fisker wouldn't comment on the case, then drove silently away when pressed.
Source: http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/15/t...tolen-secrets/
Old 04-15-08, 02:16 PM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Overclocker
[IMG]Fisker wouldn't comment on the case, then drove silently away when pressed.

Hahahahahaha
Old 04-15-08, 04:51 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

"Fisker wouldn't comment on the case, then drove silently away when pressed."

Originally Posted by omaha_lex
Hahahahahaha
The only reason Fisker would leave is he knows he is guilty guilty and guilty. This even looks premeditated also.
Old 04-15-08, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Get a LIFE, Tesla. We don't need another frivious lawsuit.

Auto design is not the CIA.....There's nothing hush-hush about it. Thats why it is so ludicrous to see these new cars in testing with cover-up bras and wrappers on them....and spy-shooters trying to get secret photos. It is ridiculous.
Old 04-15-08, 06:02 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Get a LIFE, Tesla. We don't need another frivious lawsuit.

Auto design is not the CIA.....There's nothing hush-hush about it. Thats why it is so ludicrous to see these new cars in testing with cover-up bras and wrappers on them....and spy-shooters trying to get secret photos. It is ridiculous.
The lawsuit isn't really about designs, but about the claim that Fisker started its own electric car project after being contracted for designing the Tesla and having allegedly stolen enough trade secrets for use in their own electric car.
Old 04-15-08, 06:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
The lawsuit isn't really about designs, but about the claim that Fisker started its own electric car project after being contracted for designing the Tesla and having allegedly stolen enough trade secrets for use in their own electric car.
OK, I respect your opinion, but I don't see it that way. Lots of electric car designs have come down the pike....from the diminutive Corbin Sparrow all the way up to GM with the Impact.....and the current semi-electric/hybrid Volt. You didn't see lawsuits with all of those.

If there was a lawsuit with every new car design, we would still be driving around like this:

Old 04-15-08, 06:16 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, I respect your opinion, but I don't see it that way. Lots of electric car designs have come down the pike....from the diminutive Corbin Sparrow all the way up to GM with the Impact.....and the current semi-electric/hybrid Volt. You didn't see lawsuits with all of those.

If there was a lawsuit with every new car design, we would still be driving around like this:

Uh...again, the lawsuit isn't really about the car design itself, but about Fisker releasing a competing product with allegedly stolen Tesla technologies. Maybe the article isn't clear enough about this. But that's what I read in the story. Please read more details here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/15/te...y/15tesla.html
Old 04-15-08, 06:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Uh...again, the lawsuit isn't really about the car design itself, but about Fisker releasing a competing product with allegedly stolen Tesla technologies. Maybe the article isn't clear enough about this. But that's what I read in the story.
I agree....but I see it as the same principle.

Anyhow, so much for that...........let's let others get their opinion in, too.
Old 04-15-08, 06:21 PM
stvn
Pole Position

i read this in the new york times today. Fisker screwed over Tesla big time. He was contracted to design the Tesla, gave them a design, then went and created his own car with the earnings (and trade secrets) he got from tesla. not only that but the car design he created was apparently way better than what he designed for tesla. and if tesla's claim that Fisker knew nothing about hybrid technology before he was contracted is true, then it seems pretty obvious that he did steal secrets.

Last edited by stvn; 04-15-08 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-15-08, 06:24 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by stvn
i read this in the new york times today. Fisker screwed over Tesla big time. He was contracted to design the Tesla, gave them a design, then went and created his own car with the earnings (and trade secrets) he got from tesla. not only that but the car he created was apparently way better than what he designed for tesla.
Exactly. Like the NYT article says, Fisker had no experience in electric/hybrid technologies prior to the contracting work with Tesla. And then after gaining access to Tesla's technical designs, bam, here comes the Fisker PHEV. If it's true I totally side with Tesla in this case.
Old 04-15-08, 07:50 PM
LexFather

Yeah, I think Telsa has a big point here. I mean, how did Fisker, basically a coachbuilder, come out with a big hybrid?

Old 04-15-08, 08:37 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah, I think Telsa has a big point here. I mean, how did Fisker, basically a coachbuilder, come out with a big hybrid?
I guess they sold their soul to the devil?
Old 04-15-08, 10:41 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That's two strikes for Fisker... first, the coachbuilding portion with the
FLOPS they called Tramonto (rebodied Mercedes SL) and Latigo (rebodied
BMW 6-series), and now this.

And yet "his good name" continues to fascinate investors who continue
to funnel money into that trainwreck of an operation... He is the Steve Saleen
of the new millennium. I don't get it.
Old 04-16-08, 12:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
probably same way Tesla did theirs... outsourcing :-).