Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Water 4 Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 10:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by LexT
I donno,...
Seems like its working for some people, take a look see....
http://www.fuel-saver.org/Forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=15
I read a few pages of this 'results' thread, and almost no one reported any improvement.

What a crock.
Old 07-25-08, 05:34 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Every time I see someone advocating the use of a hydrox reaction as motor fuel, I have to think back to a science fair project I did in high school that nearly leveled a classroom.

I built a condenser out of heavy quartz glass - two concentric vertical tubes, the inner one the reaction chamber that could be flooded with water to purge it, before adding measured quantities of methane and O2. The object was to prove the combination of measured quantities of gas would produce a calculated and predictable volume of product when the reaction was touched off by an electric spark in the chamber. To keep the product at a constant temperature (remember your gas laws?) the condenser was fed by flowing water which also served as a jacket to mitigate any shock produced by the reaction.

Using methane and oxygen, the combination of gases when touched off would produce an implosion that, after a number of calculations to account for several by-products of the reaction (CO, CO2) it was a pretty effective demo. The brief orange flame and "thump" of the implosion were impressive, but not spectacular. For competition, I needed drama.

My chemistry teacher suggested substituting hydrogen for methane, which would produce a direct combination of O2 and H2, and the condenser would turn the resulting water vapor product back into liquid and provide a more direct result. Stupid me, I listened.

I didn't realize that the hydrox reaction is not an implosion, but an explosion. Not willing to trust all to fate, I reinforced the seals at the end of the reaction chamber with heavy steel washers and pulled them together with light braided steel cables. OK, purge the chamber, measure and load the gases, and with my entire class looking on from crouched positions behind lab tables a few rows away, I stretched the firing switch to all of 15 feet and pushed the button.

BOOM! . . . silence

A brilliant white flash illuminated the classroom as the reaction chamber filled with 20 ml of H2 and 10 ml of O2 combined instantaneously and spit valves, filler tubes, rubber hoses and assorted apparatus across the room. Fortunately the heavy quartz glass held up without sending shrapnel ripping through the room. The failure of some of the tubing and forcible ejection of water was messy, but probably saved us from injury.

Yes, hydrox reactions are EXplosive, and powerful ones at that. When I hear of someone wanting to transport hydrogen and oxygen in a vehicle and conduct this reaction to produce motive power, I have to think back to the power of even a small quantity of these gases when poorly contained. It's not something that the amateur wants to play with - this is the same reaction the Saturn V would use years later to lift spacecraft toward the moon. It nearly performed the same service a few years earlier for my high-school chem lab.
Old 07-25-08, 09:06 AM
basketthis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
If so great why have you decided not to do it to your Lexus?
Answer:
Originally Posted by Lil4X
BOOM! . . . silence

Yes, hydrox reactions are EXplosive, and powerful ones at that. When I hear of someone wanting to transport hydrogen and oxygen in a vehicle and conduct this reaction to produce motive power, I have to think back to the power of even a small quantity of these gases when poorly contained. It's not something that the amateur wants to play with - this is the same reaction the Saturn V would use years later to lift spacecraft toward the moon. It nearly performed the same service a few years earlier for my high-school chem lab.
bitkahuna: Watch some of the videos of these things on Youtube. You will see exactly what's going on and what kind of experimentation it takes to get it working right. This is not just a bolt-on upgrade.
Old 08-31-08, 10:06 AM
21ce
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Question I just installed this..

I just set this system up on my car... My cousin was skeptical as was I, and I didn't want him to fork over money for info on how to make this. So I told him I could build it and would try it on my lexus (my car is old with less electrical components to deal with). I just filled up my gas tank and am very familiar with the avg miles per fill-up at this time of the year... I'm not endorsing this in any way, but have no problem chiming in later to report my results.
Old 09-03-08, 01:23 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by milky
Wouldn't mind filling up every single day to save $4/gallon
especially if the fuel source is in your garage. Honda has a home fuel cell station converts natural gas into hydrogen....
Old 12-11-08, 08:41 AM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bumping this. Did anyone have any experience with this?