Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Question about a lease return

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-08, 02:30 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Question about a lease return

I was wondering if you were to lease a BMW 530 and went to return it, what is the minimun tire deppth needed and also if you change the tires which are below that minimum, do you have to replace with runflats to not get hit up with a charge? TIA
Old 04-15-08, 06:02 PM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it would depend on the dealer, and whether or not you are leasing another one would be highly influential in their decision to overlook worn tires.
Old 04-15-08, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

You have to replace tires at the wear bars, of course, regardless of the lease clause....that is the law in many states.

Old 04-15-08, 06:36 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

In any case, I'd highly consider a set of used tires if they nickel and dime you like that.
Old 04-15-08, 07:12 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Who is the lease company, some lease companies are not as strict with the return policies, my friends 530 needed new tires when it went back but they where not bald, wear and tear after 3 years does not mean it needs new tires, most want the cars back with no body damage

Chase gives a $1500 waiver to cover miscellaneous items and protect the owner
Old 04-15-08, 07:15 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bizzy928
In any case, I'd highly consider a set of used tires if they nickel and dime you like that.
The lease companies don't nickel and dime you, if you treated the car like it was rented then good luck, my fathers friend got billed 7000 for a Honda Accord he beat to death.
Old 04-15-08, 07:20 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

BMW has very clear specs on this - they will send you a lease return guide that will cover everything (including a measuring tool to determine if your dings are too big - That's What She Said).

I'm pretty sure the tires need to be Run Flats.
Old 04-15-08, 07:30 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I had a lease that specified all service/repair parts must be factory original no aftermarket parts or you pay to replace with factory original parts. This was on a standard state lease form.I got my deposit back one of the few that did.
I only use factory parts anyway.
Old 04-16-08, 12:39 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I leased my '02 Maxima - you had to schedule an inspection with a 3rd party company. They would come out about 30-60 days before the lease return date and go over the car. Little stuff like slight door dings and rock chips are all considered normal wear and tear.

Basically if there was a problem you knew about it ahead of time. This guy signed off on the car and provided the info to the dealer. The day I returned the car I just handed them the keys, signed a paper, took my license plates, and I was on my way... they didn't even come outside before I left.

IMHO if your tires are blatently bald or shot - you're not going to get away with it. I personally doubt they'd check to see if they were a certain type of tire though.
Old 04-16-08, 01:34 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
BMW has very clear specs on this - they will send you a lease return guide that will cover everything (including a measuring tool to determine if your dings are too big - That's What She Said).

The lease return guide should be in his owners manual pack in the car. (the black leather case with the multiple booklets)..
Old 04-16-08, 02:06 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999

They can send you all the checklists they want, which won't mean a thing if your lease specifies the condition. If the lease says 5/32nds, then that's it. If the lease says some vague BS like, "per BMW guidelines", then they have you at their mercy. You may have flexibility to negotiate--you can tell them you will put on the cheapest tires you can get a hold of, unless they waive it or come to some agreement of a fee that's less than you'd spend on tires. The run-flats may be a problem--you probably don't have much to choose from.
Old 04-16-08, 03:16 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

What does the overall car look like, I've leased many cars and most of them looked brand new when they where returned, just by visual appeal an inspector knows what he has to look for, are the tires bald or just worn, if you lease a car you should know that you typically put new tires on midway through the lease I would not really sweat the return
Old 04-16-08, 03:37 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Car looks new, he was thinking it would need new tires before the return date
Old 04-16-08, 08:06 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
They can send you all the checklists they want, which won't mean a thing if your lease specifies the condition. If the lease says 5/32nds, then that's it. If the lease says some vague BS like, "per BMW guidelines", then they have you at their mercy. You may have flexibility to negotiate--you can tell them you will put on the cheapest tires you can get a hold of, unless they waive it or come to some agreement of a fee that's less than you'd spend on tires. The run-flats may be a problem--you probably don't have much to choose from.
Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The lease return guide should be in his owners manual pack in the car. (the black leather case with the multiple booklets)..
Guys, I don't remember my lease specifying any of this. I do however remember my lease return information that BMW sent me specifying all of this in detail.
Old 08-14-11, 01:55 PM
Frankpe
Driver School Candidate

Are the residual values negotiable on leased vehicles (Toyota Financials) ?

Quick Reply: Question about a lease return