Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What has happened to Honda?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-08, 08:12 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The S2000 has been discontinued?? When did this happen, and what's your source for this info? As far as I know the S2000 is still in production and will not be discontinued anytime soon. That has to be the best-looking car they have hands-down, not to mention it's their only true sports car ...
Old 04-16-08, 08:20 AM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You forgot the Element...
Old 04-16-08, 08:21 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1995LS400
Ever since the NSX was dropped I stopped paying attention to Honda. I still like the mighty-mite S2K, but it is not the same kind of car, it is literally a motorcyle with 4 wheels.
They lost my interest when they discontinued the Prelude. After getting into the driver's seat of a Subaru I realized that Honda wasn't that great afterall. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Prelude and it had a wonderful double wishbone suspension and great FWD, yes FWD. However, I began to realize that Toyotas were more fuel efficient and we've had so many that have been reliable, why would I ever buy a Honda?

I also don't care for Honda's rust problem. I do live in the land of salty roads, but I've never had a Subaru (owned 3) or a Toyota/Lexus (8) rust. But the number of Hondas I see out their rusting is ridiculous. Someone assured me that they had resolved the issues with their recylced metal usage, however I recently saw a Civic hybrid rusting. It had no damage either.

I don't care for V-tech all that much either. So you can HP, but not torque. Thats not okay with me.
Old 04-16-08, 08:34 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
They lost my interest when they discontinued the Prelude. After getting into the driver's seat of a Subaru I realized that Honda wasn't that great afterall. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Prelude and it had a wonderful double wishbone suspension and great FWD, yes FWD. However, I began to realize that Toyotas were more fuel efficient and we've had so many that have been reliable, why would I ever buy a Honda?

I also don't care for Honda's rust problem. I do live in the land of salty roads, but I've never had a Subaru (owned 3) or a Toyota/Lexus (8) rust. But the number of Hondas I see out their rusting is ridiculous. Someone assured me that they had resolved the issues with their recylced metal usage, however I recently saw a Civic hybrid rusting. It had no damage either.

I don't care for V-tech all that much either. So you can HP, but not torque. Thats not okay with me.
The v-tec is similar to our vvt-i.

And the element in my opinion is what started their ugly-car trend.
Old 04-16-08, 08:41 AM
06TLDude
Rookie

They must be doing something right.

Consumer Reports rates Hondas Best Cars in US
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c..._best_cars.htm
Old 04-16-08, 08:49 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by litesoarer
The v-tec is similar to our vvt-i.
Except Lexus doesn't use it as a crutch. Example: TSX vs. IS.
Old 04-16-08, 08:53 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I have a Gen 8 civic and i love it. i cant argue with 30/40 mpg city/hwy respectively.

i refuse to believe the emergence of this thread and my purchasing a gen 8 civic are coincedence...maybe it is, maybe not.

I love the direction honda is headed with their CARS. their SUV's and the ridgline (not even a truck) leave ALOT to be desired.

and as far as rusting, cars rust because people dont take care of them. all auto manufactures get there materials from 3 major sources, the most common one being FedralMogul. i have lived in upstate NY for going on 4 years, and i dont have rust, nor has any car i have ever had. hell i lived in alaska for 12 years and never had a car in my family with rust. the people who drive cars that are rusty, do so largely in part to apathy. they just dont care about the outside as long as it runs.

i keep a coat of wax on my car monthly in summer. that plus a car wash once a week in winter, and your golden, the underside might rust, as will exhausts and bolts and brakes, but these are facts of living in the north
Old 04-16-08, 08:59 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Except Lexus doesn't use it as a crutch. Example: TSX vs. IS.
We had a discussion and CKspeed explained it all. VVti =iVtech, both are great systems.

Originally Posted by 06TLDude
They must be doing something right.

Consumer Reports rates Hondas Best Cars in US
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c..._best_cars.htm
Read my post. Sheep buy them irregardless. Are they bad cars, hell no. Have they lost their way, many of us think yes.

Old 04-16-08, 09:01 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
The S2000 has been discontinued?? When did this happen, and what's your source for this info? As far as I know the S2000 is still in production and will not be discontinued anytime soon. That has to be the best-looking car they have hands-down, not to mention it's their only true sports car ...
I remember reading an article a while back that the S2000 CR was basically the swan song and that the car would be discontinued after that. I guess it hasn't happened yet?
Old 04-16-08, 09:02 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Accord got too big for me this last go-round though it's still pretty nice if you need something that big. I hate their new SUVs... CRV costs too much, Pilot is ugly. The Ridgeline is a joke of a truck... unibody+body on frame and J series V6 in a 'truck'??

The only thing left in the Honda line that appeals to me is the Civic. I thought the Corolla would inevitably one-up the civic when it came out but it didn't.

I still like the Acura MDX though. The TSX isn't terrible, either... could be made right with a good diesel option. The TL... the previous one was great for its time... we'll see about the new one.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
irregardless.
unnegatively?
Old 04-16-08, 09:04 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
and as far as rusting, cars rust because people dont take care of them.
True to an extent. Honda's, especially the white ones, are notorious for rusty wheel wells. My roomate has always cleaned his Acura bi-weekly in hopes avoiding said rust problem. Unfortunately the driver's side has been rusting for a couple years now and is flakin paint badly.
Old 04-16-08, 09:13 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Threxx

unnegatively?

Ahh owned

From my understanding there is no S2000 replacement, they actually didn't think it was going to sell/last as long as it has. That is a WONDERFUL vehicle. The Integra type-R is dead. NSX is dead.

Old 04-16-08, 10:31 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

I think Honda is doing all right. The new Accord seems to be selling very well
in these parts. If I wanted a midsize family sedan that's what I would get
without a doubt over the Toyota counterpart... I think the Accord coupe is
slick and also and looks well built. The Civic is a nice little car although the
styling is controversial. The Odyssey is the best minivan around.

Acura though is an utter and complete fiasco. Their cars are horrid dressed
up rebadged Accords of one shape or another. They badly need to
up the ante like Audi and Infiniti have done recently.
Old 04-16-08, 10:32 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Honda has always been a wonderful car company. I've been a Honda fan for many, many years. I'm currently driving my 12th.

I do agree that as of late, I have not been impressed with their current lineup. The accord lost its snazziness and got too big. I've always waited with great anticipation, every new generation of the Accord and Civic. I've been disappointed by Honda before during the 1994-1997 Accord run. But, hey, they came back and did a great job on 1998-2002 Accords and the last gen. 2006-2007 only.

I still remember an article by one of the 3 big car mags that put the Accord up against 4 sport sedans. The magazine figured that since the Accord killed everything in its class they put it up against 4 cars that were all more expensive and certainly out of the Accords league. I forget which cars they were but one of them was the Maxima. Even though the Accord was seriously out-gunned it still did not come in last place.

This was Honda at its peak. An amazing car company building amazing cars at an amazing price. They just seemed to do what no other car company could do.

Does anybody remember when Honda didn't even build SUV's/trucks?

Times have changed and I have to admit that Honda does seem to be losing their way. I have faith in Honda, though, and I'm absolutely certain that they will once again build cars that will appeal to me, just like in the past.
Old 04-16-08, 10:44 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

I will say one thing, the upcoming TL will likely make or break Acura. The NSX, while embarrassing, is more about pride and prestige. The TL though is their bread and butter. If it doesnt offer an adequate alternative to the G's, the 3's, and the IS's, it will be rough times for Acura.

Quick Reply: What has happened to Honda?