Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What has happened to Honda?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-08, 02:14 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So as Acura keeps churning out the epic fails, I just wanted to bump my old thread.

FKL has also made a lot of good posts lately about what Honda was and what Honda now is.
Old 07-20-09, 01:06 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Over the last few months we have learned that Acura will officially be starved of RWD platforms, V8 engines, and the NSX. No V8 and no RWD would make discontinuing the RL seem logical, as many had speculated that it would grow larger and morph into a true flagship to distinguish itself from the "lesser" TL. Without a dedicated RWD platform or the appropriate power, this will not be possible.

So, where does the brand go from here?
Old 07-20-09, 01:26 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They same place Pontiac went........
Old 07-20-09, 02:09 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just like the 1980-1990s were the glory days for Toyota, the 1990s was Honda's decade too IMO...
Old 07-20-09, 02:20 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nthach
Just like the 1980-1990s were the glory days for Toyota, the 1990s was Honda's decade too IMO...
The difference is that Toyota is showing signs of returning to those former days of glory- IS F, LF A, IS 350, LS 600hL, RX 450h, F Sport parts, forthcoming Toyobaru coupe, renewed and legitimate talk of a midsize sports car, Camry SE V6, and Venza are all either sporty, fun, emotional, dramatic, or showcase vehicles. My point is that thankfully, Toyota is making a drastic turnaround from the outlook we had a few years ago.

Honda, on the other hand, seems to have lost faith in Acura while also making cuts in it's own lineup.
Old 07-20-09, 02:41 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The difference is that Toyota is showing signs of returning to those former days of glory- IS F, LF A, IS 350, LS 600hL, RX 450h, F Sport parts, forthcoming Toyobaru coupe, renewed and legitimate talk of a midsize sports car, Camry SE V6, and Venza are all either sporty, fun, emotional, dramatic, or showcase vehicles. My point is that thankfully, Toyota is making a drastic turnaround from the outlook we had a few years ago.
True, but the only thing Toyota has that is distinctive is the Prius - and that isn't saying much. The IS lineup, a proven hybrid lineup - unlike Honda's half-baked garbage, and Toyota's committment to RWD in the Lexus lineup is a right step forward - but I do miss the days of the RWD Corolla, Cressida, and Supra.
Old 07-20-09, 03:39 PM
ViniZaoD
Rookie

I hope the toyotobaru STi or whatever they'll call it turns out to be a hit.

Maybe I'll trade in the IS350 for one..
Old 07-20-09, 03:41 PM
ViniZaoD
Rookie

Originally Posted by YARIS!
And you mention riced out Civics. Mostly true with older ones that 16 year olds buy and try and attempt to look "cool" but in fact look ridiculous. The 8th gen Civic is kept stock by like 98% of buyers.
Yes. I've only seen 1 riced out one (giant wing, time attack wheels, fart can).
Old 07-21-09, 11:38 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I have been cruising through some of the Honda/Acura forums and it's really quite sad how let down and disappointed many of the members are. It seems like many of them grew up on Hondas and want to make the switch to Acura, but have never had a compelling reason to do so. It's like all of them were waiting with baited breath for Acura to follow up on all of their promises of the last few years- V8s, RWD, flagship RL, new NSX- and now that the final nail has been put in the coffin, they're devastated... and understandably so.

One member of TOV put it best:

Acura's main problem: relying too heavily on its strengths to compensate for its weaknesses. Honda/Acura is a company run by engineers and naturally, doesn't like to follow suit with what other automakers are doing. Their ingenuity and innovation has them blindsided and arrogant.
Old 07-21-09, 12:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Acura's main problem: relying too heavily on its strengths to compensate for its weaknesses. Honda/Acura is a company run by engineers and naturally, doesn't like to follow suit with what other automakers are doing. Their ingenuity and innovation has them blindsided and arrogant.
Though there have been some occasional reliability issues, like the rust problems back in the 70s/early 80s and the transmission problems from 1999-2003 or so, in general, the fact that Honda is an engineer-oriented company shows in the high quality of so many of their products. To this day, Hondas and Acuras (never mind their sometimes goofy looks) are perhaps the most carefully-assembled vehicles on the market. Consumer Reports still gives them the highest overall rating (competence, reliability, value, performance, safety, and everything combined) than any other manufacturer....with Toyota and Subaru right behind.
Old 07-21-09, 03:04 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by nthach
True, but the only thing Toyota has that is distinctive is the Prius - and that isn't saying much. The IS lineup, a proven hybrid lineup - unlike Honda's half-baked garbage, and Toyota's committment to RWD in the Lexus lineup is a right step forward - but I do miss the days of the RWD Corolla, Cressida, and Supra.
While Toyota might not offer much anything sporty lets not forget their lineup is the lineup that made them the largest auto brand in the world.

The Tundra took the Americans on head on.
The FJ Cruiser, quiirky but popular
The highlander/Camry Hybrids do well
The Avalon used to be the only Japanese sedan fighting Buick, now the field is very crowded from the Genesis to the new Maxima.

I've never owned a Toyota or a Honda. I know if I need a truck, I can get a Tundra. Honda has the Ridgeline, horrific and not a real truck.

If the new CEO is as serious as he sounds, Toyota has a good chance of reviving some of that old spirit.

Whats amazing is Honda had some truly fun and sporty cars/lineup. Today its a complete WTF.
-CRX
-Del Sol
-Prelude
-Civic SI (still made)
-Integra/RSX
-NSX
-S2000

Toyota had NOTHING to Honda by the mid 1990s as they gave up in the sport field. Can u believe all those cars but the Civic are canned!!! THe Accord coupe was made to replace the Prelude.

Wow!

Old 07-21-09, 03:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

mike, i agree with you so much... of all the cars, civic si is the only one left and honestly one that i don't really give a damn about...
Old 07-21-09, 07:04 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
THe Accord coupe was made to replace the Prelude.

Wow!
And as a former Prelude lover, I have absolutely no interest in the Accord coupe.
Old 07-21-09, 08:46 PM
dsp979
Lead Lap

I've never been a Honda fan, but IF -- a big IF -- i had to get a Honda product, it would be the S2k or the previous gen TSX or TL.

I grew up surrounded by Toyotas, Nissans and Mitsubishis, and from what I've seen/read, I could care less what Honda churns out next.

Let the fanbois prop up HoMoCo.