Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

buying used car

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-08, 09:48 AM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default buying used car

My fiance and I are looking to buying a pre-onwed Toyota highlander yr 2003-2006 is for her guys, I know interest rates are good for used car loans, but better for new, now what are the best ways to haggle on the price on a use vehicle? is there much room to haggle like a new car?
were buying from a toyota dealer also...
Old 04-17-08, 09:51 AM
FrayKay
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO New car salesmen have more room to haggle because of how much they mark up the car. Usually used car dealers don't have as much room. If they can't get what they think is a good price for the car they have the option of whole selling the car, and they can make their money that way. There is always a little wiggle room, but not as much as with new car.
Old 04-17-08, 10:25 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sometimes, getting a used Toyota from an American car dealership is best.

They want to get rid of used inventory, and you can get better financing with American car financial services. And most American car dealerships are practically begging for business, whether or not it's for new or used vehicles.

Have you been looking around outside of Toyota dealerships?
Old 04-17-08, 10:59 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could easily pick up a Highlander from an independent dealer as well.

as much as people say used-car dealers are shady and horrendous--my Lexus was purchased that way and was probably the most hassle-free and satisfying car buying experience I've ever had...

another thought, are any of your credit card companies giving out "pay-off" checks with super-low interest rates? You might get better rates than a loan that way, but I'm not sure what companies are offering that...

Last edited by whoster; 04-17-08 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-17-08, 01:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Car Max is definitely one of the better places to get a used car.

http://www.carmax.com/

Each car has a window sticker, they are no-haggle dealerships, give you a discount on each vehicle, print the dealer processing fees (if applicable in the state) on the window sticker so you know then up front, and offer either the balance of the orginal factory warranty (some, like Hyundai's 10 year drivetrain warranty, are not transferrable) or their own warranty based on the car's age and mileage.

From what I've seen they have nice, clean, up-to-date repair and service facilities.

I notice you are in Rhode Island. The directory doesn't list any Car Max locations in your state; the closest ones are Hartford and New Haven, CT....but I don't think that's very far away.
Old 04-18-08, 07:09 AM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Have you been looking around outside of Toyota dealerships?
no only toyota dealer hoping for a CPO one, and will def.. look into the carmax in Conn yeah is not far at all 2hrs max and the american car dealer idea does make since, I have a few around my area thanks guys the search is on