Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-08, 10:09 PM
gcrim21
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tires?

I know there is a forum "Tire Rack" to 'jump' to. However, there is not a provision for discussion of different brand tires. I wish there was a forum so all brands of tires for RX's could be discussed and what tires are the best 'all around' tires; smoothness, handling, traction, etc., where one could post questions and get suggestions from other owners about experiences with different brands of tires. I know Michelin CrossTerrain tires are mighty smooth, but terrible on wet pavement. Also, my RX300 handles terribly in puffy wind with CrossTerrain's. Michelin LTX M/S are the same way.
Old 04-18-08, 12:29 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gcrim21
I know there is a forum "Tire Rack" to 'jump' to. However, there is not a provision for discussion of different brand tires. I wish there was a forum so all brands of tires for RX's could be discussed and what tires are the best 'all around' tires; smoothness, handling, traction, etc., where one could post questions and get suggestions from other owners about experiences with different brands of tires. I know Michelin CrossTerrain tires are mighty smooth, but terrible on wet pavement. Also, my RX300 handles terribly in puffy wind with CrossTerrain's. Michelin LTX M/S are the same way.
IMHO, the actual buyers ratings on tires at the Tire Rack is probably the best even if it is not perfect. At least they have a wide range of buyers that contribute to the ratings which does include wet weather, dry weather, noise, longevity ratings and such.
Old 04-18-08, 08:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by gcrim21
I had CrossTerrain's on the RX300 we had, and no problems. Excellent tires. Especially compared to the ABSOLUTE GARBAGE Lexus put on it from the factory (Goodyear "Integrity"). Not sure what you mean by terrible on wet pavement. Drive slower?
Old 04-18-08, 08:49 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put Michelin Cross Terrain SUV tires on my 2000 Silverado many years ago and it drastically improved the way the truck drove in every single regard, including wet traction. Granted the good years that came stock on the truck were downright scary on wet pavement... almost sent me skidding into another car once or twice during turns.

I haven't bought truck/SUV tires in quite some time now but whenever my wife's tock bridgestones give out on her 4runner (probably around 65k miles, which is still 30k miles away), I'll probably go with crossterrains.
Old 04-18-08, 09:01 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have experience with Bridgestone Dueler HT (on my Rav4) and Pirelli Scorpion (on my X3). Both tires are excellent in the wet and dry, but I find the Pirelli a better performer in snow & a more quiet tire at Highway speeds. The Pirelli also has the rim protector ( a plus to hinder curb rash) and the Bridgstone does not. My next tire for the Rav4 will be the Pirelli Scorpion