Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What Should I Do About This M5? What Would You Do?
TX... OMG! WTF are you waiting for? Jump all on that!!
41.67%
If White is what you REALLY want, be patient it'll come.
27.08%
Are you sure you don't want to spring for a GT-R?
22.92%
Keep Your 7 And Go for something in the $40k range.
8.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions If You Please: This M5 or Hold Off For White One?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-08, 05:24 PM
lawman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See if you can find out the manf date, the eariler 06 M5 builds had the SMG issues as well as Vanos "problems" the later 06 M5 to 07 seemed to cure the smg problems. SMG is fully covered and should not be a problem with the warranty.

If you are close with your BMW dealer now, see if you can ask them to run the VIN to see what if any work was done for the BMW - a common one being the vanos (easily curable) the other concern being the SMG on the eariler 06 M5s. BMW NA is pretty good about records for all is cars that done by the dealer - you can see what type of things were done, or need to be done.

The price is failry low for this model and mods. However, the fact that BMW has not offered to CPO the E60 M5 as well as is not offering any extended warranty on the E60 M5 yet seems to be helping to keep the prices lower at this time then the last E39 M5 - in favor of the used M5 buyer that is...

color??? that is all you man... black is sweet. White is sweet.

the mods def help to make the black look nicer.... This one just needs a Hamann front lip and Hartage back diffuser
Old 04-19-08, 08:17 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UberNoob
and that 10mpg on the dash is one indication of how hard it was driven perhaps
unless it was reset recently when that pic was taken
10mpg is only an indication of a giant V10 under the hood, 9 out of 10 cars on the road could not even keep up with this if it was driven at half throttle, and what does driving it hard mean, all used cars fall into the, it might have been driven hard category, I've researched use/pre-owned cars and found that cars that look as good as this have probably been just as well maintained.
Old 04-19-08, 08:29 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ ding, ding, ding! You sir are correct! As I stated above, you or at least I can just look at a car and know if its a boulevard cruiser. And this car certainly is that! Even if the owner has done some "highway racing" it probably hasn't affected such a prestine car.
Old 04-19-08, 09:00 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I am not a fan of that wood on the interior. I much prefer the Alum trim - but that is me.

I agree with lawman, get your dealer to run the VIN and see if anything is up like "well it is has been in the shop 42 times for a piston knock that can't be fixed "

I had my dealer run the VIN on a M3 convertible and it turned out the owner went 6,500 miles past the time the oil change indicator (yes, he waited until 16,500 to change the oil for the first time) and this is with free maint! Needless to say, I passed on that baby.

PS - it seems like a screaming deal.
Old 04-19-08, 09:08 AM
LexFather

Beast of a car, like bit said, please get a dark color. That black one seems very nice.

Old 04-20-08, 06:26 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just realized the fuel gauge says it is less than half full after reviewing the pics again, you should pass this one up!
Old 04-20-08, 09:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

tough call marcus. on one hand i like black m5 more than white and for everything on this car, the ONLY complaint i have is the wood trim, so i will probably go for it

but if you are so particular on white, then i say wait and look. you will never be 100% happy if you don't
Old 04-20-08, 11:03 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

What does the tank being on a 1/4 have to do with anything?

And Rominl I've started feeling that I may in fact short change myself if I were to jump on this car and not at least put as much effort as I did on searching for my 7 (over 3 months finally found out of Jersey) which I was greatly rewarded with a ultra-clean and flawless machine that is much easier to keep clean.

And fyi, as I did on my 7, I always call up BMW NA and have em' run the vin. They can tell me if car is being serviced regularly and where and how many owners since original, and from there i would have it independently checked over, so no worries. I recently had a long conversation with a 06' M5 owner who has driven his car hard, has over 35k miles and ZERO issues! As far a manual trans, I don't want one in a sedan no matter how fast it is! The SMG is just lovely for me and can be driven like an auto daily. Oh and as much as I admire the above ride, I'll prob pass on it. There is a 06' Black w/ Red lth only 16k locally for only $57k which I actually checked out and it is flawless. BUT... seeing black in person and remembering the non-stop effort I put into my previous black cars... I think I'm going to hold off for white and then fix it up to my liking.
But a blk one hooked up like above is pretty damn fierce...
Old 04-20-08, 09:39 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy It!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-08, 09:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Saw this today, thought of you Marcus, and took a pic. I know it's not an M5 (a lowly 530i) but I thought the staggered rims added something.
Attached Thumbnails Opinions If You Please: This M5 or Hold Off For White One?-img_0766-2.jpg  
Old 04-23-08, 09:32 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah that's nice! I decided I really owe it to myself to take the time be patient and get what I want. And believe me... TX gets what he wants!
Old 04-28-08, 03:13 AM
Jay
Lexus Champion

M5 YES !! GET IT BUT not this one !!! Whatz up with that wood trim ?? OMG... HORRIBLE to see it in a such beautiful machine !!! IMO

I would get the white one FOR SURE !!!! I got the Indy Red, b/c it was rare... but white one was my original first choice !!

good luck !!