Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Beijing 2008: Buick Invicta Concept (Next Generation LaCrosse)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-08, 07:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by ecr527
So was Cadillac at one point. Maybe this car could start turning Buick around as well.
Buick in China doesn't need turning around, they're doing great.

GM has realized that it's more profitable to develop the exploding Chinese market than spend a zillion dollars revitalizing Buick although they are definitely spending some money doing the latter. Tiger Woods is endorsed, and the new SUV and sedans are NICE but perceptions are hard to change here.

Oh what an irony that American Asians won't buy American cars but the Chinese in China won't buy Japanese cars and like American cars.

You're going to see a lot more 'first introductions' in China in the coming years.

They don't even care about pollution.
Old 04-19-08, 09:01 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How is this a 5-series ripoff? I see few, if any, visual comparisons. The headlights, which, granted, are somewhat similiar, are still no "ripoff":
And, that roofline is absurdly low.....I don't know who is going to actually be able to sit in the car and fit under it.
Start with the headlights which closely mimic the general shape of the 5's. Then follow the line where the hood meets the fenders. Then compare the front fenders in general, they both have the same crease, in the same exact spot.

Then you have the tail lights which, just like the headlights, closely mimic the shape of the 5's.

It seems I'm in the minority here but the first thing I think of when I see the car is BMW 5.

Old 04-19-08, 09:17 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

I like the roof

But, the interior looks like a infiniti g35, especially the center console.
Old 04-19-08, 09:33 PM
seethurya
Driver School Candidate

That's because, in China, Buicks are considered a status symbol. Buick has even invested in assembly plants there. Here in the U.S., though I don't agree with this stereotype, Buicks are often looked upon as vehicles for............

That's going to be the fastest growing segment in the United States with the baby boom population reaching there twightlight years. There's nothing wrong with Buick trying to sell segment.
Old 04-19-08, 11:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by seethurya
That's going to be the fastest growing segment in the United States with the baby boom population reaching there twightlight years. There's nothing wrong with Buick trying to sell segment.
I agree and MMarshall does as well. Its going to be a huge market and those companies that don't all have their head up their butts listening to car and driver and people that don't know squat on the internet will miss a GIANT opportunity. Not everyone cares about the nurburgring and having 40 series tires.

Funny but I see the new Buick appealing to more than just seniors.

Old 04-20-08, 12:01 AM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

It looks really good. Very sleek looking with no door handles.
Old 04-20-08, 12:43 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

most concept cars have no door handles, its just cause it ruins the sleek design. thats why mercs ocean drive concept had those touch sensor door handles that pop out after being touched. i think aston martin has that type of door handle on one of its production cars
Old 04-20-08, 01:36 AM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it looks great!

That's because, in China, Buicks are considered a status symbol. Buick has even invested in assembly plants there.
Most definitely. There's also some sort of tax on foreign cars in China--I don't fully understand it--but it makes American cars (I think all non-Chinese cars as well) very expensive there. I rode in a Buick in China. It was being driven by a very wealthy and powerful man I was visiting with. But to me, it felt like riding in a cab .
Old 04-20-08, 07:35 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

China has tons of tariff taxes on imports. This allows them to export their stuff at ridiculously low prices and makes it near impossible for others to import and sell their stuff there. We have huge flareups every so often over this protectionism/predatory pricing, but in the end, walmart wins.
Old 04-20-08, 09:06 AM
LexFather

Old 04-20-08, 09:08 AM
LexFather

Here is a list last August of the 10 least popular cars in China
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=china

Top 10 Most Unpopular Cars in China (with sales figure during first half of 2007):

1. Acura TL: Less than 200
2. Mitsubishi Galant: 4,062
3. Fiat Perla: around 2,000
4. Kia Rio: 4,996
5. FAW Vitz: 904
6. Suzuki Liana: 5,416
7. Hyundai Sonata: 7,808
8. Ford S-Max: 2,260
9. Toyota Prius: 176
10. GM Park Avenue: 934

Benz trying to overtake BMW in China
http://www.reuters.com/article/busin...BrandChannel=0

Edit:
Lexus was outselling ALL luxury brands in China here:
http://www.gasgoo.com/auto-news/3782...0-percent.html

China imported 16,885 Lexus vehicles in Jan-Aug, up 160 percent
By Tony Yang From:Gasgoo.comNovember 02, 2007

Shanghai. November 2 (Gasgoo.com) Japanese made premium car, Lexus has sold 16,885 vehicles in the first eight months this year, outselling every other brand in the imported luxury car segment.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124401

Lexus is the first premium Japanese brand to market its products widely in China. The launch of the LX 570 follows the high-profile introductions of the LS 600hL and RX 400h hybrids, which joined the already popular ES 350, GS 430 and IS 350 sedans.

In 2007, Lexus sold 20 percent more vehicles in China than its original target for the year, according to Godfrey Tse, vice general manager of Toyota Motor (China) Investment.

Last edited by LexFather; 04-20-08 at 09:24 AM.

Old 04-20-08, 02:58 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

is that car actually on top of water and supported by 4 blocks?
Old 04-20-08, 05:24 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

That's because, in China, Buicks are considered a status symbol. Buick has even invested in assembly plants there. ..............

Where do you get these assessments from? Buicks are regarded as your what the US considers typical run of the mill Toyotas/Hondas here: basic good transportation. They are no where near "status symbols" of more costly cars like BMW/MB or even Honda/Toyota there (due to import taxation). The rationale for building assembly plants there was to build them cheaply, not because of its popularity. Don't get me wrong, GM Shanghai is okay, but if you have sat and driven in them like I have, their Buicks/GM cars there are no better then the ones here. The perceived "better quality" aspects is mostly derived from extra options afforded to them because of the higher price range most cars priced at. Don't fall victim to that banter please....
Old 04-20-08, 05:38 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad the hidden B-pillars didnt' make it out of the concept design

Buicks are not Status symbols, but they are more midrange, and higher than China's own brands and Japanese brands.
Japanese cars are still looked down upon due to resentment over the period of Japanese invasion.
Old 04-20-08, 08:15 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I think that they might be able to sell some of these to a younger crowd, especially if they offered a MT. However, the center console doesn't really allow for it.

Quick Reply: Beijing 2008: Buick Invicta Concept (Next Generation LaCrosse)