Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Beijing 2008: Buick Invicta Concept (Next Generation LaCrosse)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-08, 11:30 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

looks like the bmw 5 and lexus GS had a baby.
Old 04-21-08, 05:29 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
A BMW 5-Series rip-off, but still nice.
You went off the deep end with that comparison.
Old 04-21-08, 06:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Where do you get these assessments from? Buicks are regarded as your what the US considers typical run of the mill Toyotas/Hondas here: basic good transportation. They are no where near "status symbols" of more costly cars like BMW/MB or even Honda/Toyota there (due to import taxation). The rationale for building assembly plants there was to build them cheaply, not because of its popularity. Don't get me wrong, GM Shanghai is okay, but if you have sat and driven in them like I have, their Buicks/GM cars there are no better then the ones here. The perceived "better quality" aspects is mostly derived from extra options afforded to them because of the higher price range most cars priced at. Don't fall victim to that banter please....
I didn't say that Chinese-made Buicks were necessarily better or vastly different from American-made ones, only that the Chinese public takes a vastly different view of them than much of the rest of the auto press, which generally considers them Geezer-mobiles. (And, I have said, publically, many times, that I don't accept that Grandpa/Grandma stereotype.....most of it is nonsense. There is no reason younger people can't drive them.....I myself had two used Buicks before I was 20).

But, true or not, even GM execs say that they put more attention into Buicks for the Chinese market than they do here. Warren Brown, the automotive writer for the Washington Post (who I know casually), recently spent time in China and did a write-up on Chinese-made Buicks, interviewing GM execs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-21-08 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-21-08, 06:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I agree and MMarshall does as well. Its going to be a huge market and those companies that don't all have their head up their butts listening to car and driver and people that don't know squat on the internet will miss a GIANT opportunity. Not everyone cares about the nurburgring and having 40 series tires.
Yes.....SICK and I will be having it out in our new Lucernes from stoplight to stoplight. He'll have to give me one car length to take my heavier weight into account.

No, seriously, even some Buicks, recently, have become more BMW-like in their chassis, suspension, and tires. You actually feel bumps now.

And, seriously, SICK is correct. The largest American generation in history is about to retire (I, as part of that generation, already am). They, for the most part, are NOT going to want BMW M, Mercedes AMG, or Audi S/RS models. They are going to want something easy on their backs and kidneys.

Funny but I see the new Buick appealing to more than just seniors.
The Enclave is already selling well among non-seniors. A neighbor of mine bought a Pearl White one and loves it.
Old 04-21-08, 07:54 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

I see a few design elements of the new CTS, and a few of the new Malibu within this car's interior, which I think is a very good thing. CTS has current best in class interior, IMO, bar-none, and Malibu is at least among the best in its class.
Old 04-21-08, 08:02 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

so why the heck isnt this coming to america. I dont get whats going on with some companies, they have pretty crappy vehicles for USDM then you look what they have overseas and you're thinking why the heck isnt this in the US
Old 04-21-08, 08:39 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
so why the heck isnt this coming to america. I dont get whats going on with some companies, they have pretty crappy vehicles for USDM then you look what they have overseas and you're thinking why the heck isnt this in the US
Sometimes what people say they want and what people actually want when it comes time to write the check are two different things.

In this case I don't think this car would fit well into the Cadillac brand, and the Buick brand is currently suffering from image issues that will take many years to fully overcome... so bringing this in under the Buick name might help that image issue recover more quickly, but would also probably end up losing money.

But FWIW the Pontiac G8 is one of those cars that thousands of people on the 'net screamed to bring over from Australia... we'll see how well that works out, but keep in mind... the Pontiac GTO was another one the internet begged to bring over... and it's no longer in production.
Old 04-21-08, 06:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
In this case I don't think this car would fit well into the Cadillac brand, and the Buick brand is currently suffering from image issues that will take many years to fully overcome... so bringing this in under the Buick name might help that image issue recover more quickly, but would also probably end up losing money.
You are correct about the Buick "image" issue, but it is really a bogus issue that exists but SHOULDN'T exist. The only reason it DOES exist is because of automotive ignorance. In other words, it is there only because part of the auto press and public refuse to let it go.

But FWIW the Pontiac G8 is one of those cars that thousands of people on the 'net screamed to bring over from Australia... we'll see how well that works out, but keep in mind... the Pontiac GTO was another one the internet begged to bring over... and it's no longer in production.
The 2004 GTO, at the outset, was not planned to be in production more than 3 years. Pontiac actually kept in production a year longer than planned. I myself considered getting one but decided against a high-powered RWD car....I wanted something better for slippery roads.
Old 04-21-08, 10:01 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rsantiago
You know I can never understand GM's logic behind China getting the cooler designs, while we get the crappy, junk designs.
In China lots of old brands that are no longer popular here or never was popular are being newly marketed over there. Buick, Lee Jeans, Haggen Daz Ice cream, Pizza Hut are really hot brands over there. As the U.S. economy gets worse and worse you'll only see nicer things being released in Asia where they're just getting started. We'll just start getting more Walmart crap.
Old 04-22-08, 07:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ba-b4
In China lots of old brands that are no longer popular here or never was popular are being newly marketed over there. Buick, Lee Jeans, Haggen Daz Ice cream, Pizza Hut are really hot brands over there. As the U.S. economy gets worse and worse you'll only see nicer things being released in Asia where they're just getting started. We'll just start getting more Walmart crap.
Not sure I agree. Though I don't believe that Buicks are only for old people, as the huge Baby Boom generation retires, I see more and more Buicks being sold here in America.....especially, as SICK and I have pointed out, if they resist the tendency of other luxury cars to imitate BMWs.
Old 04-22-08, 07:48 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Old people will be out of luck here soon. Buick is going modern, Ford Crown Vics and Mercury Grand Marquis are leaving...so what is left for the older people to drive?
Old 04-22-08, 08:24 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Old people will be out of luck here soon. Buick is going modern, Ford Crown Vics and Mercury Grand Marquis are leaving...so what is left for the older people to drive?
That whole generation is largely either passed on, or no longer belongs driving on the road.
Old 04-22-08, 12:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Threxx
That whole generation is largely either passed on, or no longer belongs driving on the road.
Actually, this group will be larger than ever in the next 5-10 years here in America. In Japan, they have a negative birth rate, so they also will have a lot of old people soon.

Old 04-22-08, 01:01 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You are correct about the Buick "image" issue, but it is really a bogus issue that exists but SHOULDN'T exist. The only reason it DOES exist is because of automotive ignorance. In other words, it is there only because part of the auto press and public refuse to let it go.
That's your assumption...looking at the 3 car Buick lineup today, it's both unimpressive and boring, with no avant garde styling, old school 3 box styling, and just screams "look at how retired i am". Even Buick advertising seems more catered to the AARP crowd then your run of the mill baby-boomer. I would only drive one if it was a rental. JMHO....
Old 04-22-08, 01:16 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Actually, this group will be larger than ever in the next 5-10 years here in America. In Japan, they have a negative birth rate, so they also will have a lot of old people soon.
It's not an age thing so much as it is a generational thing.

The generation that is currently passing on and living in retirement homes grew up in a time where big floaty body on frame Cadillacs and Lincolns were the ultimate status symbol... the good life.

I don't expect the retired crowd 20 years from now to prefer that kind of car anymore...

Actually it scares me to think that the middle age generation right now might end up driving giant SUVs when they retire. Blind senile old people in big Caddy sedans is bad enough... we don't need them in Expeditions and Excursions!

Quick Reply: Beijing 2008: Buick Invicta Concept (Next Generation LaCrosse)